Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Great post from Blue above.  We probably need to accept there's no deep cold coming our way in the next couple of weeks, but the building blocks are certainly there for something more 'interesting' towards Christmas! It's been a long time since I make the effort to view every run, but at the moment each are fascinating and showing loads of the 'P' word.  Hopefully through December we'll get some showing the 'S' word!?

Of course it's more than possible that this leads to absolutely nothing in the long-term, but personally I really like where things are sitting.  In the meantime, it's going to be feeling seasonal over the coming week/10 days.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

It's a start ladies and gentlemen, it's a start!!!

Location Suffolk

Screenshot_20201129-111406.png

Edited by NewEra21
Spelling
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

It’s definitely an interesting time for model watching, more so than for quite a while I think. Ultimately no one knows where we might end up in a couple of weeks - talk of a repeat of Dec 2010 are far too premature in my opinion and we’ll never get an exact repeat anyway. But the building blocks are there to get us an interesting pattern down the line... whether it ends up good for cold fans depends on the weather gods. All we can do for now is (try to) enjoy the ride!! 

[Also, advice from a long term forum member - if you don’t let your excitement run away with you, then you won’t be disappointed if it all goes t*** up!!] 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, here's what the ever-reliable GFS 06Z has for T+384:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Lots of potential for freezing fog and rime and, more importantly, I hope, enough colder air over Eastern Europe, to finally shut down any northwestward advection of warm air... I do honestly believe (hope?) that IT will come, this time... It'll just take a wee bit longer than it used to -- for obvious reasons?:drunk-emoji::santa-emoji:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Anyway let’s have a sneaky peak @the 10hpa strat probs....@going forward! .. @downwelling-January!!

9ECF1DF6-0FAA-4ECE-B097-2E73D5FCF99D.png

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

So, here's what the ever-reliable GFS 06Z has for T+384:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Lots of potential for freezing fog and rime and, more importantly, I hope, enough colder air over Eastern Europe, to finally shut down any northwestward advection of warm air... I do honestly believe (hope?) that IT will come, this time... It'll just take a wee bit longer than it used to -- for obvious reasons?:drunk-emoji::santa-emoji:

Yes although into fantasy island,that is the really the gold card to very cold weather over U.K.

As I have said before without becoming to boring high pressure to the north.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The upcoming few weeks in n America are predicted to be colder than average along the eastern side, not the west though ....of course that will still kick a jet off the e seaboard 

there’s nothing wrong with a strong Atlantic jet if you have a propensity to drive wedges and there aren’t high heights over Europe - infact, without a decent Atlantic jet, I’d say you will be struggling to make enough progress against the Russian ridge to take the U.K. out of no mans land ....

Perfect summing up !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The upcoming few weeks in n America are predicted to be colder than average along the eastern side, not the west though ....of course that will still kick a jet off the e seaboard 

there’s nothing wrong with a strong Atlantic jet if you have a propensity to drive wedges and there aren’t high heights over Europe - infact, without a decent Atlantic jet, I’d say you will be struggling to make enough progress against the Russian ridge to take the U.K. out of no mans land ....

I just can't see any slider scenarios delivering anything more than slush, i wouldn't be getting excited even if i was still in Saddleworth at 600ft, and would certainly have a 'wait and see until T24' attitude if i was at 1000ft in Saddleworth or even Buxton.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

OMG how many GHs on the ENS

PTB 10!!

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

meteociel propose des rubriques météo temps réel, forums, modeles...

some bangers in there!! And yeah pert 10- nearly the grail govener

311DBB49-392D-40BE-B209-BC5D35621FE3.png

• Like 5

Posted
37 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS Mean 192 V the 2010 profile I said earlier

9F0228F3-209D-400E-8F78-4876A4492201.thumb.png.5f526ec32e1a1329eede7b151bb7266b.pngD4D0BA18-5B5F-42C9-AC8A-A4454F8744F7.thumb.jpeg.a2835668e9654c4a677649d35ed57f25.jpeg

& the actual chart

8FB55308-FF46-40F4-9F27-C08F15F165ED.thumb.png.6b928ff8e8eeebe3565fcd4efef5e874.png

Disclaimer: This isnt a forecast but a genuine comparison to show the increasing similarities...

Sorry but one can't see what those charts are exactly because the key information is cut off. And I'm not totally clear from your captions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

P10 has a potent northerly pushing our way.. look at those uppers!

gens-10-1-312.thumb.png.5eb6bc559ba67141e37c257077da584d.png   gens-10-0-312.thumb.png.e97e7d82951ecb298fb1fde5a7ca8f6f.png   gens-10-0-324.thumb.png.4f9450f5310bc4e264c355aa239a5d95.png

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Sorry but one can't see what those charts are exactly because the key information is cut off. And I'm not totally clear from your captions.

Hi its just the 06z Mean chart showing the amplification in the atlantic & also the Scandi ridge allinging WNW which is classic Greenland high development profiles...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

A focus on various operational models at 120 hours using their latest runs.

00Z ECMWF

7F306EDB-D3D5-4D89-8B3B-897EEC6C46B1.thumb.png.a1fda2eb6eed44ee5cf3a04ece419155.png

06Z GFS

5A1B8197-F292-4881-898A-F06E002F23A5.thumb.png.9742a36f806297ebafec97a7a73c3c41.png

00Z GEM

DCA4F02A-8595-413A-B1BD-F0C09C4A22C5.thumb.png.ea816d5b2d8075453fc19e917897e435.png

06Z ICON

0EF2B243-7095-440B-897E-7061FE127A72.thumb.png.ae64444d34bb550abade6209e481e550.png

00Z NAVGEM

CF76A54D-7244-4B0C-B641-9710EAFD6E5F.thumb.png.0b1540653719b3f5dadcff5f9f618834.png

00Z UKMO

55B08D31-876E-44D7-ABF6-E883C053CA34.thumb.png.18ee09c12c8ac5737581876c4f771ec5.png

All essentially sticking to the general pattern of placing the Northern Atlantic trough over the UK with High Pressure amplifying in the mid-Atlantic. 

Even at 120 hours and their are some slight variations to what the models show. On the ECMWF, and especially the GEM, the vertical ridging in the mid-Atlantic is particularly wide and just that little bit more amplified than that of the ICON and the GFS. The surface ridge on those 2 models seems the most narrowest. NAVGEM, would say, is somewhere in between and the UKMO looks similar to the ECMWF with regards to that mid-Atlantic ridge. Worth saying that the NAVGEM has the widest area of upper heights covering Greenland. On the UKMO, NAVGEM, GEM and ECMWF, it has the yellow tip of the upper ridging touching Southern Greenland. ICON has it just about touching Southern Greenland, while the GFS has a bit of a gap between the yellow tip of the ridge and the Southern tip of Greenland. Overall is generally the least amplified with the ridge upstream. But not by a massive difference. Still far from flat.

Regarding events further downstream, both the upper trough and surface Low Pressure aren’t all in exactly the same place. The 06Z GFS is the most aggressive dropping the trough and surface Low to the South-West of the UK at 120 hours. Pulls in a flow from the South-East for most of the UK. While the upper trough on the other models is virtually over the UK (the odd one or two such as the UKMO and NAVGEM) perhaps centrally placing it over Western Scotland/Northern Ireland, some little differences on where the surface Low centre ends up. ICON has it to the South-East of the UK over Northern France and the North-Sea. Seemingly the best for pulling in an Arctic flow for the North, especially over Western UK. UKMO and ECMWF have it quite slack with the Low centra over Southern UK. Nick made a great point in that a slack flow can prevent the cold air getting mixed out quickly. And along with evaporative cooling, can be good for some snow to reach some lower levels at times. NAVGEM a little more North-West with the Low centre placing it over North-Western Ireland, while the GEM throws a bunch of Low centres all over the UK.

On the whole, it seems Low Pressure over the UK and amplified ridging upstream seems likely, with a chance for some rain, sleet and possibly wet snow for some.

• Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Excellent trends this morning...

If you enjoy + NAO Atlantic weather best pop back in a few weeks time....

That was a bit cryptic for me and caused a slight anxiety... So actually, steady as she goes -NAO on the cards

Posted

T+384 charts have about as much chance of being correct as me winning the lottery and I don't buy tickets!

IF with each new run, at the same time, and at T+24 then yes a miracle has occurred!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Here is the reality.

image.thumb.png.527cea76bef0c9f8ffa28ecc6dcc5865.png

Average temperatures for next 2 weeks.

That’s Scotland ??????? Feb

Here’s England CET charts 2m temps & 850 hPa

There’s now’t mild about them

image.thumb.gif.eaef37bb5324cbb736dade32e02d0441.gifimage.thumb.gif.077fca6a492846880055153a001631d7.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
15 minutes ago, Snow lover 2020 said:

Christmas week is our only hope ....AND THE REST OF WINTER  

AND ....see your edited post 

• Like 2