Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted

I would urgently be very careful comparing tonight's and as well the last few days of model runs to 2010... 

You will be very disappointed if else the reality is most (what people are looking for) is still out in "fantasyland"

Though next week will be chiller I can not see any signs of cold or anything to do with snowfall just yet if any it will be resorted to Scotland 

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

-4 / -5c uppers, low DP due to the easterly flow and a cold surface gives a chance of snow / pink snow ...

F3C5A91B-7E7A-472C-B088-33E57ADBF9A1.png

Winds off a warm North Sea so dew temperatures will be high. Trust me, there is nothing wintry about that chart Steve posted there.

Of course the bigger picture on the GEM does look better but as I say, a proper cold easterly can be ruled out for the near future because Scandinavia is going to experience warmer southerly winds next week. No point of having blocking if it's all in the wrong positions! 

• Like 3

Posted

Surely the biggest problem at present is even with the correct Synoptics there just isn’t the cold enough air around to sustain any proper cold, it’s a problem that seems to happen in early winter a lot nowadays, things take a lot longer to cool down.

Even looking at the GFS 12z ensemble suite there’s no real proper cold members, a sustained cold flow from the east looks extremely unlikely.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
15 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

I would urgently be very careful comparing tonight's and as well the last few days of model runs to 2010... 

You will be very disappointed if else the reality is most (what people are looking for) is still out in "fantasyland"

Though next week will be chiller I can not see any signs of cold or anything to do with snowfall just yet if any it will be resorted to Scotland 

It was made very clear that it wasn’t a forecast. From an educational point it is very interesting and much can be learnt. If people go down the route of not reading the posts properly and end up in a winter wonderland then that is not the responsibility of the poster.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I would give the current pattern about 6 out of 10.

Better than many coming into December with a weak and buckling jetstream. 

The downside is the lack of true Arctic blocking to force deep cold south. 

The trough digging down into Europe this week is a good sign but we really need to see those mid latitude ridges head further north. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
30 minutes ago, West is Best said:

The thing is, I've been watching the GFS for months and it has forever been plumping for blocked scenarios which are, mysteriously, always out in FI. Then, up pops a return to Atlantic zonality and we are back in the usual cycle until the next FI blocking appears. Rinse and repeat. Call me a cynic but I've stopped paying any attention to anything beyond T168. 

We would need serious upstream blocking i.e. a proper Greenland High, a phenomenal Svalbard High or a fantastic mid-Atlantic High and we need them inside T168.

Not sure why anyone would pay any attention to anything past 168. But up to that point is showing blocking, so why would the zonal outlook beyond that be anymore likely than previous blocked runs given it is past 168.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Might be on it’s own in that set of ensembles though there have been a few hints of it P22 is a @Steve Murr special with that Greenland high  anim_dku3.gif

• Like 6

Posted
17 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Hello all, back for the winter chase and we’ve got some interesting synoptics, very different to the last few years. From experience these patterns shift East closer to the actual date. This is what I’m looking for and would put the UK under a direct notherly/colder flow. 

35798B95-594D-44AC-BDFB-D991481F4242.jpeg

How much of a correction do we need? 100-200 miles possibly?

If so how likely is that kind of correction at this timescale?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
1 minute ago, Starsail said:

I think a bit more than that, 400 miles to the east would be nice 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Might be on it’s own in that set of ensembles though there have been a few hints of it P22 is a @Steve Murr special with that Greenland high  anim_dku3.gif

looks good.

Whats been evident today ( importantly) & needs to continue is the nose of Scandi High pushing west across towards greenland in the 168 timeline. If the low hangs on to long it doesnt happen > so we want the low to clear through to the south quickly

Lets see what the ECM comes up with > 00z 240 was good but the WAA wasnt vertical enough...

• Like 9

Just to add part of the reason the models have gone west a bit overall with the lownis we have been losing eastward energy off the eastern seaboard - being replaced with more amplification 

Look at the last 3 ECM for 144 > 120 > & now 96

35DFE2FC-4C66-4354-A8FA-8899B897CC02.thumb.png.bc05bb29db88d6ba88a77b9ff9b2a751.pngDF552FD2-2F4D-4A38-A85F-26675F7717F0.thumb.png.08fc8cf29e41189aa8e1f36a87834987.pngDF552FD2-2F4D-4A38-A85F-26675F7717F0.thumb.png.08fc8cf29e41189aa8e1f36a87834987.png

0B904828-9A4F-4C9A-BD7F-E7F27EB63A9C.png

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

looks good.

Whats been evident today ( importantly) & needs to continue is the nose of Scandi High pushing west across towards greenland in the 168 timeline. If the low hangs on to long it doesnt happen > so we want the low to clear through to the south quickly

Lets see what the ECM comes up with > 00z 240 was good but the WAA wasnt vertical enough...

...or we could just stick it all in the bin Steve!

Edited by Beanz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Beanz said:

I think a bit more than that, 400 miles to the east would be nice 

Know what, guys? The days when I got all hot-and-bothered, at the outside chance of a sleet blob (or even a particle of soft hail) have long gone!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Know what, guys? The days when I got all hot-and-bothered, at the outside chance of a sleet blob (or even a particle of soft hail) have long gone!

I agree, but the idea of a cold hard northerly I’ll gladly take for purposes of interest.  Otherwise yes, I want snow up to my nose and nothing else is going to cut the mustard! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Beanz said:

I agree, but the idea of a cold hard northerly I’ll gladly take for purposes of interest.  Otherwise yes, I want snow up to my nose and nothing else is going to cut the mustard! 

Are you a leprechaun?:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*
15 minutes ago, Starsail said:

It’s not a definite but like I said they have a tendency to shift east by a few hundred miles. We see countless notherlies forecast from the models in recent years only to end up with high pressure over us. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Are you a leprechaun?:drunk-emoji:

As I happens I love a bit of Christmas FM, a radio station based in Dublin.  But no, I just dream of 6’ snow drifts.  

Not seeing that in the current output but I do agree it wouldn’t take much for things to get interesting.  I just hope the GFS isn’t going in a direction we all fear...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
5 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Could be perceived as a class A post  

Posted

Looks good sypnotically but again, the lack of sufficient cold to tap into is clear to see once again, large parts of Scandinavia have positive uppers grrr Nice energy going under that Mahoosive high over Eastern Europe 

4D911E6D-3B46-4EAD-A227-BA33E9D3C1F1.png

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 1