Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, Snow lover 2020 said:

Can someone show me the models which show a cold snowy December week? 

DF0534E9-E11B-4722-B3BF-1B51F50C3304.png

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.110dd977ec32c811a51c25feaafd616a.png
image.thumb.png.261c5b2d58064f50677258fe85c70244.png

Mid to longer term clusters still look quite blocked, far from typical weather and our usual zonal Atlantic onslaught at this time of year! Certainly some potential routes to proper cold showing up.

And if I'm reading those correctly not one cluster is suggesting Euro heights for the next couple of weeks - that has to be good thing and I think most will be content on taking our chances on the ebb and flow of what happens in regard to the detail.

• Like 2

Posted

People keep talking about near average temperatures okay it may not be well below average, but temps look comfortably below. A more winter feel will develop this week.

3E75C0C5-A06A-4A0A-AF4E-1751807EDD0B.thumb.png.e5d52f68da6d4faff32684b0c1ed25ec.png

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

People keep talking about near average temperatures okay it may not be well below average, but temps look comfortably below. A more winter feel will develop this week.

3E75C0C5-A06A-4A0A-AF4E-1751807EDD0B.thumb.png.e5d52f68da6d4faff32684b0c1ed25ec.png

Thanks Daniel and if that is for London City ( sea level right in the heart of  London  ) then I think it reasonable to take 1 or 2 of all those readings for the more general populace - we are actually pretty close to a decent cold spell here - I couple of unforecasted tweeks in the right direction is all we need to be in ice day and on the right side of marginal...

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

To be honest, I know most are looking for -10 uppers and a cracking freeze (myself included!) but I'm just so looking forward to a seasonal, Christmas feel this week...something we haven't had for many years.

In regards to the charts this morning, most look odd to me in their later charts. I think they are trying to figure out this rare setup or slack pressure after the initial low dives and fills.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Thanks Daniel and if that is for London City ( sea level right in the heart of  London  ) then I think it reasonable to take 1 or 2 of all those readings for the more general populace - we are actually pretty close to a decent cold spell here - I couple of unforecasted tweeks in the right direction is all we need to be in ice day and on the right side of marginal...

Biggin Hill

4251F4E1-C45D-4335-B050-D0F5BDE01D62.thumb.png.ccebcccebf2daaaa6306a59ae8d721ec.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
49 minutes ago, Snow lover 2020 said:

Can someone show me the models which show a cold snowy December week? 

January - near enough.

Rrea00119790101.thumb.gif.5e7a633f64f395816ef2e15222671ce0.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GFS day 10 better than ECM for the same period. Though at day 10 it’s just conjecture at this point. 

GFS actually starting to draw down some colder 850s into the mix with a more northerly flow

7B6E46AA-EC4B-4E37-BEF0-1546B0E23B30.thumb.png.1d129c53f1dbc42dbce0e7d4b36468da.png

ECM a little flatter, though still cold at the surface

3ACBA738-739B-41CF-A0A4-3609CAF44F26.thumb.png.6168edd85cddf04b752d7a7185e989be.png

GFS has a nice little slider at 216 as well which would probably deliver some snowfall on its eastern flank! 

9E07DD3D-6048-4F82-AB74-DF9D8464EB2B.thumb.png.87e084ab20ea7b8d16b32d221f92d3ed.png

Overall a cold set up on both models, nothing to extreme, and we’ll have to wait and see if it’s cold enough for snow away from high ground.

Not a bad place to be as we start winter officially.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Screw it just checked!!!!a brilliant icon!!low thicknesses and everything further east at 90 hours!!!❄

Should we be worried These eastward shunts of the end week low pressure across the models is indication of new signal that is up ticking the jet and all the risks that might entail in mid to longer term...

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

So the EC mean moving towards a collapsing Atlantic high longer term.

Hopefully the Euro low anomaly will assist us and stop a +NAO setting up...

Could be some cold frosty weather on offer further into December ...

Well the ECM at T+240 looks like the next frame (if there was one) would show the Atlantic returning in some way, so perhaps something to keep an eye on. Long way out though obviously.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
4 minutes ago, Snow lover 2020 said:

Thank you but I mean snow for Dec week this year? 

Lol - yes but just an example of what to look for in a Model Setup.

The posted 2010 chart is a peach - once in a generation round here at sea level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
1 hour ago, That ECM said:

Interesting disconnect between bbc and met for later in the week. ECM for BBC? 

I don't think there is a connection between the MetO and BBC is there?

• Like 2

Posted

Moving ever closer towards a marginal snow event late this week. We need to watch the left hand side of any LP that forms as that will bve where the cold air will orginally tuck into the developing low. If the LP does then eventually swing back the threat will then move towards the tigh hand side of the low.

Surprising amount of models are showing snow at least for some of the time on Thursday/Friday, especially further north. Whilst it is likely to be marginal, and high ground will be of real benefit, its close enough to warrant a close eye, even a slight upgrade will increase the risks significantly.

Longer term things still look really interesting, still precious little hints off mild air. Still some uncertainty though just how much deep cold air can get pushed down towards Europe, but with such a sustained period of below average temperatures we increasingly will be less reliant on deep cold to do the job, especially in set-ups where we pull air off Europe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Aye, GFS certainly improving, wet snow certainly possible at low levels, Wales 250m or so up the place to be though

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, GFS certainly improving, wet snow certainly possible at low levels, Wales 250m or so up the place to be though

prectypeuktopo.png

If things keep moving further south and east dont think it will be just high ground getting a good whack of snow!!!the trend is very good in the last 24 hours and needs watching!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Could be some tasty convection, over the southern North Sea, come the weekend?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

I'll tell @Zak M to keep his eyes peeled!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
19 minutes ago, Beanz said:

I don't think there is a connection between the MetO and BBC is there?

Not anymore (apart from weather warnings, I think?).

They put the services out to tender a year or so back, and awarded the contract to Meteogroup who promised they could give them hourly forecasts at 16 days out. 

• Like 3