Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas and New Year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

GFS at T+102 Just wow an incredible Upper feeding through bringing Scandanavian air with it as well. 

gensnh-0-1-102 (3).png

• Like 2

Posted

Gota say looks like the gfs has had its victory in terms of gettin this current pattern right with the slight amplification but i think its back to normality now and ecm/ukmo will show the damn model whose boss!!

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

image.thumb.png.2e787eff62aa7241c5755f785e465d3c.pngYep.. colder uppers over uk brushed aside from the east......

I was just about to say the same, although wouldn’t need much cold from the North to cool it down!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

That depression is tilted towards you know who although i think the jet is buckling

image.thumb.png.d749673b2a4c9398c86b35eb0d374a22.pngimage.thumb.png.f3a291076f62818099f46228953be246.png

Edited by winterof79

Posted
27 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

GFS clearly has lost its consistency and it is reversing to old habits. Old habits die hard.

034FDE07-F6FB-4E2F-8C99-A666C7CC460E.thumb.png.2b5c53b9125ff1942d029f4957789bd0.png4D11CB57-D52E-41E1-8679-D1F343ED860B.thumb.png.2ae5ecbf6c798984ce98bdaf35913183.png

Lets not forget the GFS nailed the very first amplification into greenland the first time and is generally better in that area so as to not let confirmation bias set in things may flatten out just a touch. 

It wouldnt be for long tho as the over riding atmosoheric set up will only reamplify once more

As long as we stay on the right side of the jet we will hang on to the cold either way and stay in a holding pattern until the next round

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

Lets not forget the GFS nailed the very first amplification into greenland the first time and is generally better in that area so as to not let confirmation bias set in things may flatten out just a touch. 

It wouldnt be for long tho as the over riding atmosoheric set up will only reamplify once more

As long as we stay on the right side of the jet we will hang on to the cold either way and stay in a holding pattern until the next round

Quite so Scott. Ebb and flow and all that.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

The GFS parallel is looking very good for cold and snow at T192:

27327555-9D61-4B77-AD79-B6A9937291F2.thumb.png.27cf969416891d5785e277a4eb5cdf37.png41B1F4DF-AE77-4EFD-8268-F7D77F1B10C7.thumb.png.f3f637a00c758ccfe8358e97570771b3.png

I think this is about the best of what’s on offer at the moment.  But GFS // also very consistent re the strat warming, here T228, and very similar to the 6z:

FD8DD12B-AD83-4D17-B7CA-5B6C9C064597.thumb.png.ec1d1845a197344ea14c15abe645f5cc.png

As I mentioned in the strat thread, one of the major enhancements of the new parallel GFS is in the vertical resolution, so this could be good news, because that looks a favourable split (caveat that this only shows temperature). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

ECMWF Amplified showing a Strong Low coming through from Greenland with High Blocking being quite Strong With A Weakening Low Over time. 

ECH1-96.gif

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Quite so Scott. Ebb and flow and all that.

Yeah in my opinion this is what we are seeing.

On the flip side when thought about in more depth.

Although its better in greenland it is super poor in split energy scenarios.

Taking that into account i would suggest a middle ground.

Lower heights around greenland compared to the euros but more energy headed south i.e its sister parallel model??

The parallel could be nearer the mark.

The upcoming ecm will help in this regards as its the king of split energy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

image.thumb.png.e54bf3176b4356310abdc9bf6bdfdb5a.pngimage.thumb.png.fdc0d3fef563fbf9cb3e6580a810d25a.png

No point in thinking one run has nailed the evolution 12z v 6z

Goodness me that is some chart from the //V16

image.thumb.png.2af60159bba98139a89f9eba81ab3ddd.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just for fun but what's the gfs/p up to here!

gfsnh-0-294.thumb.png.77551c55e83320fcd8751d7117be7290.png

and it has been quite consistent with a split spv for the past few runs.

gfsnh-10-294.thumb.png.7c85eff701b113594049925b1d72457a.png 

• Like 4

Posted

Better cold pool on gfs at the end,but worth nothing as the consistency of this model is back to utter rubbish again.Nailed this cold spell coming but awful since then for some reason.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Not the point here Scott inconsistency as now does not yield confidence. It’s completely alone in stratosphere as well.... I don’t have much confidence in the model at the moment. Until EPS shows it seriously flatter which it wasn’t screaming from rooftops with initial amplification, I don’t think anything drastically has changed. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Just for fun but what's the gfs/p up to here!

gfsnh-0-294.thumb.png.77551c55e83320fcd8751d7117be7290.png

and it has been quite consistent with a split spv for the past few runs.

gfsnh-10-294.thumb.png.7c85eff701b113594049925b1d72457a.png 

Whats left of the vortex showing over europe?

Yeah ill take it! Hahaha!

Posted

Mean is good at 204 hours and control slides that low further west compared to the op!!you can clearly see whats happening here gfs op is struggling and will probably do one of those typical slow crawl back round to reality lol!!what a day for me got a clean sheet from my fantasy football players as well!!cmon ecm dont let me down

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Not the point here Scott inconsistency as now does not yield confidence. It’s completely alone in stratosphere as well.... I don’t have much confidence in the model at the moment. Until EPS shows it seriously flatter which it wasn’t screaming from rooftops with initial amplification, I don’t think anything drastically has changed. 

As i stated gfs parallel is the one on the money. I said i think its splitting too much energy north but it did nail heaights over Greenland so an objective way of thinking is needed.

I never said we will end up flat and warmer i just said i dont think heights will be what they were 4 days ago shown.

• Like 4