Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

An intense squall line moving through here right now with torrential rain and strong wind gusts.   I expect the rain to ease up soon, but the wind to continue strengthening.  I have had a couple of flickers in the lights - I really don’t want a power cut today…☹️

• Like 1

Posted

As fast as the squall arrived, it’s gone, and the rain has stopped completely!   We are also suddenly in a weird calm and the wind has also dropped to just a strong breeze.  The weather at this level is totally impossible to forecast in detail.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

The squall is approaching but it doesn't look too severe. I think the winds will pick up later this afternoon as the storms eye comes closer.  Tommorow looks to continue very windy for southwestern parts

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well I have all the gear I need to keep warm this time around with waterproofs and thermals so hopefully I will be able to actually go out in it and try and break my highest handheld wind gust of 53mph since living here in Brongest.

I have to go up the local hills to get these readings though so its just a case of when to go out for the highest winds which looks to be tonight, but some people are saying the peak is this late afternoon so I am not quite sure yet.

Edited by wimblettben
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, wimblettben said:

Well I have all the gear I need to keep warm this time around with waterproofs and thermals so hopefully I will be able to actually go out in it and try and break my highest handheld wind gust of 53mph since living here in Brongest.

I have to go up the local hills to get these readings though so its just a case of when to go out for the highest winds which looks to be tonight, but some people are saying the peak is this late afternoon so I am not quite sure yet.

Don’t wear anything likely to catch a gust though, or you might find yourself hang gliding all the way to Aber before you know it!  

• Like 1

Posted

Some incredible skies being created by this storm…..

9ED1A0D4-2D1B-4123-B20A-FE49A66F21C1.thumb.jpeg.03fd578c4ce57060442c3645f6f97e1d.jpeg

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground
1 hour ago, Loadsa2000 said:

Strongest gust in Caerphilly today so far was 51.9km at 14.40

Was that just before the deluge of hailstones we had in Hengoed which turned everything white in a few minutes? 

Posted
2 hours ago, dbaloo said:

Was that just before the deluge of hailstones we had in Hengoed which turned everything white in a few minutes? 

yes just checked it now and we had a gust registering 58km also dewpoint is down to minus 2.5

Edited by Loadsa2000
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

A good webcam if you want to see an angry sea. 

RNLI@1x.png
WWW.PORTHCAWL-LIFEBOAT.CO.UK

The health crisis has hit our income hard. Lockdown halted the fundraising events we rely on to power our lifesaving service. Yet our volunteer lifeboat crew...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It was a bit less stronger then forecast as i only managed to get a few 40mph gusts up the hill last night and mostly just gusts in the 30's. We were supposed to get gusts of at least 50mph if not higher.

The storms suppose to be filling and getting weaker today but I would say that the winds are just as gusty now as they were last night at the moment.

I did see some flashes last night as I was out though so somewhere must of had some lightning.

Posted

Kept me awake for part of the night as I listened to the roof slates being tested but I think we’ve survived any damage.  We’ve also had worse wind storms here, but there’s still a lot of the winter left to go yet….   Still very gusty out there and feeling decidedly cold, too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

My poor Lavender plant blew over last night. We had some very heavy hail showers last night and some overhead thunder and lightning which I wasn't expecting but nice to see!

Just need some dryer and colder weather now to cool everything down ready for any snowfall I remain hopeful we will get sometime this winter lol

• Like 3

Posted

Force 11 Violent storm recorded at Rhossili, Gower.

NCI Worm's Head at Rhossili, Gower have recorded a Force 11 storm at their station overnight. Force 11 is also known on the Beaufort scale as a violent storm, and is one level below hurricane force. 72mph (117km) winds have been recorded.

NCI Worm's Head described the sea at Rhossili as having "exceptionally high waves. (small to medium sized ships might be for a time lost to view behind the waves.) The sea is completely covered with long white patches of foam lying along the direction of the wind. Everywhere the Edges of the wave crests are blown into froth. Visibility affected".

The area is also described as having "widespread damage, very rarely experienced'.

Barry Island

image.thumb.png.584ed37c78f4f4b765dc71754165ab0b.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

I know the MAD thread love hunting for snow, but believe me, walking a dog in horizontal blizzard wet snow is no fun at all, unless you are the buggery dog in question.  And my waterproofs aren’t.

• Like 3

Posted

Forgot to mention that it looks like we had a gust of 39.4mph on the 6ft high weather station in the garden last night at 2:35AM which is the highest gust the station has ever recorded since we put it up in early 2020. 

That means there must have been gusts of at least 40-50mph up the hill in the early hours so the yellow warning was justified but just for a more smaller section of the night.

• Like 2

Posted

Wintry showers today, snow above 350m generally on the Bannau

Posted

Hi guys hoping for a cold and very snowy winter this year in south east Wales, last year was very fustrating we had some snow but nothing to write home about. A winter similar to 2012-13 would be perfect imo we had a cold spell in the middle of Jan with a red snow warning and March was quite severe with the cold waxing and waning throughout the month lasting until April 

Edited by IceDaysAndBalticNights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground
On 09/12/2021 at 09:09, keithlucky said:

10p on snowflake to fall on Christmas day in Cardiff. 

Screenshot_20211209-085729_Chrome.jpg

I'm going for 50p...bet big -win big

Possibly something colder on the horizon but until that horizon is 1 day away I'm taking it with a pinch of grit salt ❄

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, dbaloo said:

I'm going for 50p...bet big -win big

Possibly something colder on the horizon but until that horizon is 1 day away I'm taking it with a pinch of grit salt ❄

That's why I'm staking a misley 10 p lol. Looks like mostly dry but getting progressively colder under stagnant air.As you said long way off.

Posted
On 10/12/2021 at 18:18, keithlucky said:

That's why I'm staking a misley 10 p lol. Looks like mostly dry but getting progressively colder under stagnant air.As you said long way off.

Latest update from Met as HP drifts North we start to drag a North east wind from the baltics, very cold there ATM.So ice start to Xmas week.As we always say,Get the cold air in first.So chances of a white exmas is increased GAME ON!!!