Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes ECM drops the low through (could be cleaner but good enough).

That is the key to keeping the pattern amplified and not having the cold upper air mixed out too much.

ECH1-168.GIF?01-12ECH1-192.GIF?01-12

As long as we clear the low South then the only danger to prolonging the cold out to mid Jan is a W Based -NAO but that has been a danger all along which we have avoided thus far.

Let's see if UKMO and GFS can clear energy S at around 144this afternoon  or at least split energy and send most of it S.

If we can clear these hurdles I think the cold spell stretching out to mid month at least is pretty secure and it will just be a case of how cold and where the snow turns up.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

What’s the world coming to.  New Years Day and no hangover .  Went to bed early - no fireworks to watch and couldn’t wait to see the back of   2020.  So here we are in 2021 with some cold weather to start the year.   Here’s the picture seen by all four main models at +144h (7th January).....

500s.                                                         850s

UKMO  F2593B3A-1B87-4623-81E1-C07FD1275216.thumb.gif.79188acbef3881515944290deb9472ae.gif  FE099207-C085-47D9-9F3B-55A4E9D3C22F.thumb.gif.e0448e6687910ce317f1c72a6b8551f6.gif

ECM     A576F91D-81C4-4869-AB8E-F95D56107DE7.thumb.gif.f2c457713dc65272484acd0480844d6e.gif  2AD95D3C-7D0C-459C-BCE3-ABD8FD00EECC.thumb.gif.119745ba98968c2fcb1686061f4f3fe3.gif

GFS      B0DB3C71-1F09-43AA-A529-8FA6B81B9550.thumb.png.c80589446cccc66a40be6607c091d145.png  C03A1A7A-96ED-4D69-9275-52DBE2B14EF1.thumb.png.2a7fec9296ed168b62e793fda911be4e.png

GEM.   32CE75EE-8F23-435B-8035-AE552BB63C66.thumb.png.94addd718019de95270c737ec9057b08.png   A4CCB71F-F979-4E4B-AA0B-E75BCFA4C99F.thumb.png.787681af1b9b77762e17d5dfdd92cb88.png

They all agree it’s going to remain cold for a week or so, but after that who knows?  I don’t think the charts after this date are worth anything right now and it could all change for better or worse in a week.  We still have the deepest part of winter ahead and we start from a very promising position for cold weather, so we’ve every chance of seeing more snow before March.  Perhaps a lot of it.  ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ⛄

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone on NW and let’s hope all the news from now on is good news.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The gfs op as a synoptic has pretty much no support from the gefs and is warmer than the mean on nearly every variable. One to ignore unless there is a trend?

d9 gefs> gens_panel_fcx4.png London>827805079_graphe9_10000_308.4754943847656_149.94204711914062___(1).thumb.png.28770c103f440e375817ad0dbd2f9ad0.png

The gefs have moved towards the ecm solution, the Atlantic ridge and the trough dropping and there are clusters within that scenario as to how that happens and the scope east to west.

The mean 850s (London^^^) remain below the seasonal for the next 16-days which is a rarity! A few in FI heading towards the -10c line but the mean rising as we go into the extended period. 

We remain on track for a very seasonal period which may extend to within the SSWE fallout, that could mean a wintry January? Looking at the d16 gefs we can see something brewing up yonder with an Arctic High showing itself in about 50% of the members:

d16 gefs jff> gens_panel_lks8.png

It will be interesting to see how the SSWE plays for the UK!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Surely going by the UKMO and ECM 850s for next week anything falling from the sky would be more white than wet?

-6 -7 -8 and even touching -9 850s. I understand the north sea moderates things a bit, but surely it would be a lot colder at the surface than forecasts are currently predicting.

Or am I just completely missing something here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well I'm baffled...

I posted the EC /UKMO uppers yet I've just read the BBC outlook text and the line turning windier and less cold early next week.

Can someone enlighten me as to why?

Ps this is the local forecast....with the uppers here -7/-8 all week...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well I'm baffled...

I posted the EC /UKMO uppers yet I've just read the BBC outlook text and the line turning windier and less cold early next week.

GFS isn’t the coldest model next wed but here are the maximums for 1300 on Wed, certainly no where near their projected temps - and probably nearer the mark with those uppers in early Jan I’d say!! I don’t get it.

99BAA25A-D5A3-4A94-889C-BD6FFBD0E07C.gif

Ill give them 5c right on the East coast, any showers getting over to central and western U.K. should be wintry 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

GFS isn’t the coldest model next wed but here are the maximums for 1300 on Wed, certainly no where near their projected temps - and probably nearer the mark with those uppers in early Jan I’d say!! I don’t get it.

99BAA25A-D5A3-4A94-889C-BD6FFBD0E07C.gif

Agreed!

Perhaps there are valid reasons for the projected rubbish surface temps but with uppers locally at -7 and -8 ( 520- 522Dam)and no Atlantic influence im baffled.

The text i posted above confirms the National forecast, talk of a wintry mix at higher elevations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well I'm baffled...

The BBC still seem to be mentioning picking up warmer/less cold air from the med.

But over the last few model runs we've seem the models gradually lose that influence from the med, I'm guessing the BBC are still 24 hours or so behind with their data.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer

I Wonder what temps they’d give out for this beauty?

Even Feb says he would take this☃️

3D77F59F-AD56-4397-B8AA-487334FB174A.png

EC8C24B1-B996-4C60-8A6F-1251930106CA.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

image.thumb.png.d2dc532d9e0d46417efd2fba9b17d596.png

What i like about the ECM 240 (yes I know) is that for the first time northern European temperatures upwind to our north east are below average, in the deepest part of winter this has to be a good thing and ensure the projected Easterly is properly cold and snowy.

TBH you couldn't get a much better chart for mid January, all it has to do now is verify.

Andy

• Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well I'm baffled...

Both Matt Hugo and Marco petagna on Twitter this am saying thoughts are it may turn unsettled from the W / NW next week. Marco has been saying similar steadfastly for days now  as the high slowly sinks south 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The mean is fabulous ...

But I'm not sure what it will translate to at the surface esp with the forecasts BBC and Meroffice are giving...

There temperature forecasts are very poor they have consistently been 2-3 degrees over all week here. It’s the same every winter. I remember a few years ago the bbc weather on look north was predicting rain showers when every metric said it would be snow. Of course it snowed on and off all day 

Edited by seabreeze86

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
18 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

The BBC still seem to be mentioning picking up warmer/less cold air from the med.

But over the last few model runs we've seem the models gradually lose that influence from the med, I'm guessing the BBC are still 24 hours or so behind with their data.

A 850mb temperature of -8c and sea level temperature of 5c would result in a lapse rate of nearly 3c per 1000 feet which is highly unlikely in a mid winter easterly. Lapse rates as high as that usually occur in spring when solar energy heat the ground quickly while air aloft stays cold.

Andy

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

The day time maximum tempretures are incorrect for the UK next week.For example Berlin 1c Prague ic Walsaw 1c, for next week.So even allowing for the North Sea warming effect the flow from the south east Europe, 3c 4c maximum by the end of week in the UK as the North sea cools.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Both Matt Hugo and Marco petagna on Twitter this am saying thoughts are it may turn unsettled from the W / NW next week. Marco has been saying similar steadfastly for days now  as the high slowly sinks south 

Even @CreweCold think it will turn more westerly as we go through to mid January FWTW.

then again I’m not sure the forecast for warmer temperatures early next week is from a collapsing high and more to do with muck picked up in transit from Europe? What happens later in the period is anyone guess 

• Like 1

Posted

I must admit, I’m impressed at the relative positivity on here this morning. 
I am starting to get that familiar sinking feeling when a cold spell begins to go belly up - the Atlantic ridge is starting to be projected to not make it as far north (apart from on ecm, but I’d expect that to follow). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

ECM snow lover's fantasy chart

snowdepth_20210101_00_240.jpg

Lol the same ECM precip charts that were showing 10-20cm of snow in the south 4-5days out for Boxing Day (or the day after) those snow accumulation charts are almost zero percentage accurate more than 24hrs out in the UK.

Posted

Just to add to the BBC temps.  Here in Bournemouth at this very time it is -5.  I have no idea where the idea of these temps are coming from on the BEEB.  I cant help but feel the charts are going to continue to upgrade even at T24.

• Like 3

Posted

No warm ups showing here for North England

74158D2F-85D3-40B8-9BF8-0DB490846A9B.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2