Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
4 minutes ago, mat43 said:

Well, today the forecasts have been completely wrong. Beautiful blue sky and sunshine so far all day. Feels lovely out in the garden, cleaning up and planting a few veg. Popped to Scarb to order a cake, and it was surprisingly quiet, I suppose it’s cloudy further west, reducing tourist traffic.  Reached 11.6° earlier and still no sign of any clouds 🙂 

Totally agree. I posted snapshot of the forecast page onto Winter Moans, which showed cloud all day but we have wall to wall sun & it’s still going strong. A lovely day out of the wind. 😎

• Like 3

Posted

I think we've done best for sunshine today compared to most other places in the UK. It clouded over here a couple of hours ago but it is still clear to the north of us.

Up to 51 hours of sunshine this month already. It seems we picked a good time to get solar panels. It has been saving us about £3 a day recently!

• Like 3

Posted

Yes sunny, warm and light winds today. Been doing some woodwork in my workshop this afternoon and its the first time for a while that I haven't needed to light the pot belly stove, and was even able to work with the door open.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Gorgeous day in these parts, been in the shed in a jumper with door open all day, Niece's quad now rebuilt ready for summers and cut up some old fencing, abit more free heating 🙂

• Like 3

Posted

Well after Saturday yesterday was uninterupted greyness. Not cold but lack of sun makes it feel chillier. Nephew and family are visiting Bridlington yesterday and today, a shame they were not here Saturday.

Yet again we seem to be heading into a dry spell, very little rain here this month so far, and not much showing in the forecast. I hope the coming summer isnt going to be a rerun of last year, too hot and too dry.

• Like 4

Posted

Well today was a rerun of yesterday, but a bit cooler, I dont know where the BBC weather man got his forecast from this morning, 10c??? was about 6c when I went out. Wind S force 3-4 and an all over greyness. Not cold, but chillier than I was expecting.

• Like 2

Posted

Agree, today has been c.6°, in fact it has been almost constant since 6pm yesterday. No rain here since January 29th. Tomorrow is due to be sunny after an overnight mist/fog… I hope we receive the sun.  

Could contain: Chart

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Wow, hadn’t checked this thread or tonight’s forecast earlier in the day, so quite a shock just now putting the dogs out before bed….from a lovely clear starry sky this evening to thick frosty fog at 1am! 

I’d recorded 8.3c in the garden during the day but it felt nothing like that. It’s been cold & overcast all day to the point where I felt nithered this evening & couldn’t wait to curl up under a blanket. Looking forward to the sun again if it comes tomorrow 🤞🏼

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yes, went to bed noting a ground frost.
Woke to +2 C and fog (as per the M.O. yellow warning)
Hoping for a nice sunny Valentine's Day later.
:)

• Like 1

Posted

Mist and fog finally starting to lift when I went out, giving way to sunny intervals. Winds light SSW force 2-3 temperature 4c. Light winds are a bonus, typical anticylone weather.

Yet again BBC weather this morning was predicting double digits, I dont know where they get their data, but it obvviously is rubbish. Predictions on here were a bit high but much nearer the mark.

• Like 3

Posted

Fog / mist all morning. All forecasts wrong, took far too long to (sort of) clear, so temp here didn’t get above 6.4°. Mist was coming/going all afternoon. Disappointing day. 

Edited by mat43
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Lovely spring day here T shirt weather in sun after the early frost had gone temperatures peaking at 12.9C.

• Like 4

Posted

Woke to zero temps and a freezing mist.
Now at 8am it has cleared already.
Be nice to see some sunshine.

B.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking very windy for our parts on Friday.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Looking very windy for our parts on Friday.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art

You beat me to it BL, i was just going to post similar👍

• Like 1

Posted

And the Met Office have a Yellow Warning out for those forecast winds on Friday.
I did think they would cover right to the east coast of Yorkshire.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Beverley Lass said:

And the Met Office have a Yellow Warning out for those forecast winds on Friday.
I did think they would cover right to the east coast of Yorkshire.

Looking at the set-up I think we may be just outside the track of the strongest winds here, but its very marginal, and slight variations in the track of the low could make a big difference to the wind. I suspect the Vale of York will be affected by the lee effect issues that have caused problems (and damage) in the past, e.g. Ferrybridge cooling tower collapse in 1965

Today has brought sun, more wind, force 4 S and 9c, warmer than yesterday for my lunchtime ride.

• Like 3

Posted

Let’s see what the Morning brings so little warning about the high winds luckily it’s the schoool holidays here this week with the lack of coverage about it. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Love Snow said:

Let’s see what the Morning brings so little warning about the high winds luckily it’s the schoool holidays here this week with the lack of coverage about it. 

So far nothing of note at the coast, but we are outside the warning area. However seems much worse further west, with 59mph at Leeming, so yellow warning so far seems to be about right, NE scotland looks to getting the worst of it

Edited by mike57
Update
  • Like 1

Posted

Wind is currently 31mph with gusts up to 43mph here.  Nothing too extreme so far, let’s hope it stays that way. Got a Humber bridge crossing today so that’ll be fun 😊

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Summer18 said:

Absolutely wild here (Leeds Bradford airport) worst than many of previous years “named storms”. 

Leeds Bradford Airport showing 59mph gusts and Leeming 66mph on xcweather so forecast predicting worst to the east of the Pennines, down to the Vale of York is correct.

Unseasonably mild when I went for my early walk.

• Like 3