Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈
Just now, terrier said:

Radar looks meh. Has the front moved through quicker than thought. Or is it due to pivot back round later. 

I was thinking about that too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Is all that stuff over Ireland coming our way as the system moves?

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted

High res models always suggested the band would fragment during the course of the day. Has become lighter in Leeds. Expecting the snow pep up again later, though likely will be off and on in terms of intensity. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, terrier said:

Radar looks meh. Has the front moved through quicker than thought. Or is it due to pivot back round later. 

Does feel very meh at the moment. 

But the amber warning isn't until 3pm so suppose we will see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Snow has settled a little bit on some surfaces in Lincoln in the past half hour with the temperature dropping to 0.8C.  Just some slushy deposits though, mainly on the grass.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

Couple of snaps whilst on lunch in Bradford Gain lane area, really starting to stick now  👍

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Road, Winter, Freeway, Snow, Weather, Blizzard, Storm

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Road, Utility Pole, Winter, Weather, Snow, Blizzard, Storm, Freeway

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dying out here as the milder air approaches.  Could well be rain shortly

Posted

It's doing alright here in some spots while others have no covering 

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Path, Ice, Tree Trunk, Fir, Snow

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Car, Vehicle, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Ice

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Road, Weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

More or less stopped now in Huddersfield. I know the amber alert doesn’t start till 3pm but it’s going to have to give it some to warrant that alert now I think. It’s all been abit meh so far. And looking at radar doesn’t fill me with confidence. Guess see what the next few hours brings 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Eased right off here & a slow thaw has been ongoing for over an hour.....We are right in the middle of the Amber so it'll really have to go some to see us hit the minimum totals that have been given out......Had all that came down since 6 a.m. settled we might have been in with a chance of seeing 10cm

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Back out with dog if this is now can't wait til later 🙂

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Weather, Car, Vehicle, Person

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Weather, Car, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Person, Triangle

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Weather, Fir, Plant, Tree

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Tree, Fir, Person, Car, Blizzard, Snow, Weather

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Car, Vehicle, Person, Weather

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Weather, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Person, Car, Vehicle

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Car, Vehicle, Person, Weather

Getting a bit unsure about this evening and overnight.  As I’ve said and others have mentioned it’s clearing from the south west.  Assuming it’s going to pivot but no sign of it in radar.  Starting to get a bad feeling about this now

• Like 1

Posted

5cm on patio, maybe a bit more on grass. Same with trees , soil and raised surfaces .

Strangely some bits of pavement have a good depth and others are completely wet and bare.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Plant, Tree, Wood, Ice, Snow

Could contain: Outdoors, Play Area, Outdoor Play Area, Nature, Yard, Plant, Tree

• Like 1

I'm guessing those who have a very meteorological 'bad feeling' for later on either haven't seen the radar or are just gloomy gooses that aren't fun at parties. Have a little faith people!

Posted

I sense a bit of disappointment from fellow members which is not justified imo. Currently reaching 6cm here, coming down heavily with big flakes but this is not the case. This is "Mediterranean style" snow in March. We need to enjoy it as it is. Most probably you won't see any major depths on roads unless there's some higher intensity later this evening and night. Personally I'd rather have the roads clear. 

That said, I'd take this kind of snow 5 times in every winter compared to the dry risk of very cold Easterlies. This ofc has the IMBY bias and I understand everyone down South will be disappointed. 

In Harrogate it's snowing non stop since 1pm yesterday. Light and moderate snow yesterday, the heaviest stuff right now. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Dying out here as the milder air approaches.  Could well be rain shortly

Or possibly just a little let up 🤷‍♂️Over 8 cm in north Sheffield easy now and main event isn’t meant to start  until at 3pm, look west on the radar 

Edited by 1947s coming
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Stopped here now. 

See what later brings.

2 minutes ago, 1947s coming said:

Or possibly just a little let up 🤷‍♂️Over 8 cm in north Sheffield easy now and main event isn’t meant to start  until at 3pm 

I agree. Genuinely baffled as to what some folk are talking about. 10cm in Grenoside, a decent 8cm here and we're not even in the amber warning yet. 

edit: the precip heading towards Stoke is far more intense currently. Whether that hits us or not, a band of that up here would be snow and it'd lay far quicker than a larger area of light to moderate stuff. We get something like that later on and overnight and well.... ❤️

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Yes there is a bit of a gap on radar moving up from Sheffield towards Leeds, however this event for me hasn't really got going at all yet, I wanna see what happens when this easterly wind starts up, right now it's dead calm. 

• Like 1

Posted

The radar is in line with the UKV nothing to suggest things have gone tits up. What has surprised me is the lack of cover on paths and roads even at this elevation.

A full band to a patchy band in the afternoon. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Land, Rainforest

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Should pep up later on 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Back from a walk with the pooch.  He seemed to enjoy his first walk in the snow.

We had about 2-3 cm on the grass and 1-2 cm on pavements and side roads.  Main road heading west out of Barnsley is slushy mess but no issues for driving currently.

Snow was moderate whilst I was out walking but now very light again, temps up to 0.8c and snow thawing on roads and pavements.  

@Steel City Skies Ironically the school where my daughter works announced they were closing at 12.30 just as the snow started to ease off and it started to thaw! 🤣

I know the Amber warning doesn't start until 3pm but I have to say the radar doesn’t look promising and it looks like less cold air has encroached further north than expected.  Unless there is going to be a dramatic change in temps and rate of precip then the Amber warning is starting to look a bit redundant in covering Barnsley.

Could contain: Accessories, Strap, Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Terrier

Could contain: Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Accessories, Strap, German Shepherd, Outdoors

Could contain: Canine, Dog, Accessories, Strap, Outdoors, Nature, Tree, Hound, Vegetation, Puppy

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Cheese Rice said:

The radar is in line with the UKV nothing to suggest things have gone tits up. What has surprised me is the lack of cover on paths and roads even at this elevation.

A full band to a patchy band in the afternoon. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Land, Rainforest

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Should pep up later on 

The lack of cover on roads and pavement is expected due to the nature or the system. Heavier snow started just after the major morning commute of people to jobs and schools. Secondly, it's an Atlantic system full of moisture. Thirdly, it's March. Just some of the facts and I'm glad we finally have some snow with an organised system rather than watching the radar if we get lucky with a shower from the East.