Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted

System moves too slowly, there are bursts of heavy snow here. There's no way to forecast the night. There's going to be pivoting for sure but I don't know which places will get lucky. Temps are more than adequate for North Yorkshire. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Empire Of Snow said:

System moves too slowly, there are bursts of heavy snow here. There's no way to forecast the night. There's going to be pivoting for sure but I don't know which places will get lucky. Temps are more than adequate for North Yorkshire. 

Also what is going to happen to all that precipitation to the north, is it eventually going to fade or pull back south.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Also what is going to happen to all that precipitation to the north, is it eventually going to fade or pull back south.

The low is moving more or less directly east so it will pull itself through again thanks to the tilt.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

I think the amber warning is a bit of a flop. It suggests widespread 10-20cm on low ground which isn't looking likely. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The low is moving more or less directly east so it will pull itself through again thanks to the tilt.

I'm trying to stay positive but very hard to, time is ticking away with very little action and settling outside. 

I'm not writing it off yet though when it will get colder after midnight and at least 7 hours precipitation to go from now. A couple of hours heavy snow early tomorrow morningg could easily drop 3'' or so so who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
24 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

It's so far north in nearly out of it.

Temp up to 0.4c now and dew up to 0.3c 🥺

Same here in Kimberworth. I've got a dusting. Not going to get anything substantial at this rate.

Posted

Don't know what's gone wrong here but the snow is way less intense than earlier on today, smaller flakes falling fast rather than big flakes.

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

I'm trying to stay positive but very hard to, time is ticking away with very little action and settling outside. 

I'm not writing it off yet though when it will get colder after midnight and at least 7 hours precipitation to go from now. A couple of hours heavy snow early tomorrow morningg could easily drop 3'' or so so who knows.

True. 

There's around 10-11 hours left but the first 7 hours of the amber warning have been poor for low ground.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, summer blizzard said:

The low is moving more less directly east so it will pull itself through again thanks to the tilt.

It's a bit disappointing we don't have any further update from METO even for just amateur meteo reasons.  There should be a convergence point somewhere and a pivot as the LP moves away. I'll be very surprised if some places won't get battered tonight. 

Posted

Seems to be struggling to settle on paths and roads tho 😑

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.
7 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Its finally here! 

Where about in Barnsley mate?

Just can't get big flakes up near the hospital

4 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

I think the amber warning is a bit of a flop. It suggests widespread 10-20cm on low ground which isn't looking likely. 

Depends on your location I guess. Some will have done better in the amber, others worse. It is a complex scenario after all.

Posted
Just now, Empire Of Snow said:

It's a bit disappointing we don't have any further update from METO even for just amateur meteo reasons.  There should be a convergence point somewhere and a pivot as the LP moves away. I'll be very surprised if some places won't get battered tonight. 

I'm no Michael Fish or Ian McGaskil but if we are in for a big surprise come tomorrow morning I reckon it will come from this area here.

If that reaches us like that in the early hours on the pivot could drop us some serious snow.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, richjb78 said:

Where about in Barnsley mate?

Just can't get big flakes up near the hospital

Ardsley but it isn't settling much 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Craigers said:

Main roads in Harrogate have a layer of snow. Side roads are fully covered as expected. Intensity of snowfall is missing. As I said we have on and off heavy bursts but in general it stays moderate. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Really coming down here at the min. 

No struggle with settling on the paths or the main road either now. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Nature, Machine, Wheel

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Winter, Snow, Car, Transportation, Vehicle

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

It's worth remembering that our feature until about now is technically a warm front so if you were marginal to start with, it was going to fight you for some time since there's only warmer air behind it albeit the Met Office were a bit giddy.

The stuff that's arrived now is technically the cold front so from this point on, things should only get better.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Thunderstorms, Snow

Pretty disappointing in Leeds, the intensity is there but the snow flakes are not large enough to produce anything interesting.

Edited by DevinW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Still only light here, it's actually melting faster than it's falling!

Van has been on the drive 6 hours now and the layer that built up with this afternoon's heavy spell around half 4 is almost gone. Windscreen is just a thin layer of slush now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sleety mix in Lincoln now, temperature 2.4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, Craigers said:

Plenty settled on paths and side roads in Redbrook but still doesn’t seem to be accumulating particularly quickly.  

Footprints and car tracks from between 7-8pm are still visible.  Given we are supposed to be under heavy snow now, according to radar, we are still only seeing small flakes although lots of them.  

Temp now 0.3c and dewpoint zero, so edged back up again, and wind is starting to increase.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

The flat point behind the cold front and before the rear tilt is just north of Blackpool now. Somewhere east or south of there (Whetherby if it's not too flat) is going to have a cracker given how lovely the back half looks. 

We should be good but there's a chance of a gap unless it sinks a little.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

The flat point behind the cold front and before the rear tilt is just north of Blackpool now. Somewhere east or south of there (Whetherby if it's not too flat) is going to have a cracker given how lovely the back half looks. 

We should be good but there's a chance of a gap unless it sinks a little.

How's the snow looking where you are?

Edited by Cheese Rice