Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Thunderstorms, Snow

The wind is certainly picking up but the snow depth are very slow to increase

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Car, Vehicle, Flare, Light, Winter, Snow, Wheel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
3 minutes ago, ukpaul said:

Just been out for a lovely snowy walk for a couple of hours. Big takeaway is altitude has made a huge difference. At home when I set out, 140m  or so, no massive depths, pavements covered, side roads sort of and well gritted main roads meh. Walked through the wildest of the easterly blasts eastwards towards Halifax, picking up elevation and within 20 minutes it was a winter wonderland with cars crawling along, inches depth and a bit of a struggle walking, especially on cobbled bits. Like that for an hour or so climbing up to the Wainhouse Tower in Halifax. That was up at about 200m. Stayed around to admire the views then back down past the Wainhouse pub (tempted but didn't go in). On way back down notable change at about 125m on Pye Nest Road with a teady drip, drip and slushy underfoot. Through the centre and back up above Sowerby Bridge and about a quarter of a mile from home, the distinctive crunch of icy snow underfoot. Back home, as it was but a bit more depth, fluffy snow, still covering but in cm rather than in.

So, a big difference between 125m and 200m. Let's see what happens as the cold front comes across. I can see the 6 inches suggested for around here and up a bit by morning, will wake early and go and see when it's light. Will also remember to take a phone that has been charged next time.....

Oh, and the Netweather radar is way off. It's shown sleet here for hours but it's been all snow, even when it hasn't settled. Intensity picking up again now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Keep an eye out for band of heavier precipitation forming just north of Birmingham heading due north straight over Derby and heading straight for Sheffield looks like plenty more to come ❄️❄️☃️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Cheese Rice said:

I think the amber warning is a bit of a flop. It suggests widespread 10-20cm on low ground which isn't looking likely. 

Indeed, and unfortunately in the eyes of many people the reputation of the Met Office has taken another hit (rightly or wrongly).

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Is it bad I feel sour to you guys that have lying snow ❄️😩😂 2nd winter running now with no lying snow, feel like it’s becoming a trend now 😫😫😫

Posted

Road is now starting to cover! Only 4-5cm on grass here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Anyway, it’s covered all the roads now. Lots of small flakes falling down. If only the intensity was greater.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Anyway, it’s covered all the roads now. Lots of small flakes falling down. If only the intensity was greater.

Intensity is coming within next 30 mins wait n see

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

Its turned to fat flakes here with down drafts. Only started covering now really. If that big blob hits us then we can say its been a successful night 

Edited by Craigers

Posted

Just managed to get back home. If it continues like this all roads in Harrogate will be closed by the morning. I don't have a clue what the council is doing. There's nobody out there to clear the roads. They only care to put up roadworks for no reason. An absolute disgrace. 

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

It's about to really ramp up soon for you lot NW leeds, can tell from radar!

Does seem heavier now.

Would have bit your hand off for this last week, it is a good snow event, just probably not an amber warning for here at the moment.  Amber warning for me is heavy snowfall probably during the daytime too that cuts an area off like 8 and 15 Jan 2021 should have been here.  

• Like 2

Posted

Couldn't resist going for a stroll, pretty brutal out there, my face is numb from the wind and fast falling snow, certainly not as pleasant as walking with the big flakes slowly cruising to the ground! Looks lovely though, a good 15-20cm on the grass in places and the roads have quickly covered since 6pm. 

Could contain: Plant, Tree, Fence, Wire, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Utility Pole, Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Cable, Power Lines

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Weather, Light, Traffic Light

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Architecture, Building, Shelter, Weather, Light, Traffic Light, Winter, Snow

• Like 6

Posted
42 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Road, Winter, Snow, Blizzard, Storm, Car, Road Sign

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Winter, Weather, Car, Road, Person

You are just 10 metre higher than us and probably a difference of you having a few cm more snow, although that picture looks like further up Hady Lane where the school is

As per your last post.....looks a bit dodgy around the hospital entrance

Edited by OddSpot
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A north-easterly wind is really picking up in South Shields judging by Neil Bradshaw's website:

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today's_weather.htm

This hints at the change that will be spreading south through the region between midnight and 6am tomorrow.  It still looks pretty marginal at low levels in the far north of England judging by the reports from there, though.  We'll have to see if it becomes less marginal on the northern flank of the system as the whole lot pushes south.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

A north-easterly wind is really picking up in South Shields judging by Neil Bradshaw's website:

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today's_weather.htm

This hints at the change that will be spreading south through the region between midnight and 6am tomorrow.  It still looks pretty marginal at low levels in the far north of England judging by the reports from there, though.  We'll have to see if it becomes less marginal on the northern flank of the system as the whole lot pushes south.

Starting to cover the road here now so snow line for all settling snow is very almost down to 200ft. I think that heavier clump just south and west of me will do thr trick and cover everything.

Had better not stall now and leave me in light spot.

Posted

Pic is taken on night  setting so light is exaggerated but always love how it isn't dark outside due to the orange glow and snow on nights like this. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Snow, Aerial View, Architecture, Building, Housing

Edited by Tim A
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

It's been really hammering down here since I got back from my walkabout an hour and a half ago. Radar shows it's by no means over either. Probably a couple of inches from it so far.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Pic is taken on night  setting so light is exaggerated but always love how it isn't dark outside due to the orange glow and snow on nights like this. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Snow, Aerial View, Architecture, Building, Housing

I know where you live as I used to live a few doors down lol, much prefer Cookridge to snow than Bramhope always liked walking to Tesco or ASDA in the snow. 

And yeah intensity is a joke the radar makes it seem like its getting heavier but its not just constant super fine light snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Also couldn't resist going for a walk in the snow just now. It's really tipping it down now in Rotherham. If we could get a few hours of this overnight we should have a good few inches by morning.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Car, Vehicle, Weather, Bus

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Rexx said:

Also couldn't resist going for a walk in the snow just now. It's really tipping it down now in Rotherham. If we could get a few hours of this overnight we should have a good few inches by morning.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Blizzard, Snow, Storm, Car, Vehicle, Weather, Bus

What's your height?

Posted

It's hammering down, almost 20cm, we might reach 30cm if it continues like this. These are the events we need in winter, we had 10 days of rubbish cold in early December waiting for a shower to come from Rovaniemi. Proper organised system from Atlantic provides the best snow event in March. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Looks to be about an inch on the shed and garage roof here. Snow is steady and looks heavy but it's those small flakes. Best thing is this is the right kind of snow that should clean the solar panels when it slides off them. They need a good clean after the long dry summer last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Lincoln is still in a dry slot, temperature has dropped slightly and stable at 2.2C with the odd bit of drizzle, but a NE wind has really picked up here, even though for now the clouds are still slowly moving from south to north.  I can see this dry slot closing in from both the south and the north-east, as the onshore wind is starting to send the precipitation NE-SW near the east coast of Yorkshire and into NE Lincolnshire.