Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
1 hour ago, Harsh Climate said:

From briefly looking at models a fair few show, the heavier stuff mostly affecting south yorkshire, east yorkshire and eastern parts of north yorkshire. 

Preicipitation may be a little less intense west of leeds but for you ya should be well on the right side of marginal. For me I'm hoping 50m+ is sufficient 

Tbh I think it's a now cast for now. Can't rule anything out. 

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder what we will get at the coast? It's come in quite misty here in the last couple of hours, forecast is snow then fog. Its already below freezing again.

Edited by mike57
typo

Posted
9 minutes ago, mike57 said:

I wonder what we will get at the coast? It's come in quite misty here in the last couple of hours, forecast is snow then fog. Its already below freezing again.

I would guess sleet with some wet snow in the heavier bursts.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just dipping below freezing Radar showing precipitation near here but not making it over the moors and dying away. The precipitation doesn't looks very well organised at the moment so it maybe a case of being lucky or unlucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

-1.6c the maximum today after a low of -5.9c overnight with some patchy snow cover remaining from earlier in the week.

Models looking interesting for tonight, as is the current radar. I can see that Arpege is on board for some slight accumulations… in my opinion if Arpege says yes then it suggests somewhere is going to see lying snow. The only question now is where - ie bit further north or south? Down to nowcasting.

I’m expecting  the area over north Wales is going to intensify a bit so all of Yorkshire should be in with a chance 🤞

• Like 5

Posted

ARPEGE staying consistent with its previous output, even with the lighter flurries mainly over the hills this evening before the more organised stuff makes it in from Wales later on tonight.

Worth mentioning too that the front pushing up during the wee hours of Monday also turns to snow on its northern edge for a good few hours across the N Mids and parts of S Yorks and Lincs. I expect that'll be much more marginal though.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Remember to ignore the lightest blue on radar because it's just thick cloud/snizzle.

Alarmingly it looks like a shadow effect so the first two pulses have disappeared upon passing Rochdale and look like they are reforming just east of the M1 thus far. 

That could be strength related so it may not persist but that would be horrific away from perhaps Wakefield.

Posted

Actual precipitation is surviving longer now. About to arrive in Ripponden and Holmfirth if we have anybody around.

Posted
21 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Actual precipitation is surviving longer now. About to arrive in Ripponden and Holmfirth if we have anybody around.

Holmfirth here. Few flakes of snow at first, then turned to rain. Not much intensity, hills seem to be killing it off.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hatewarmth said:

The big question is will the band survive the pennines

Yeah, looks like the atmosphere has been moistened which is why the poster above saw light rain when it went light but it should allow further reinforcement to survive. 

Next blob is inbound for Huddersfield at reasonable strength.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looking at the radar I think for us in the far west I.e Huddersfield etc is going to be a struggle to see anything meaningful this evening tonight. Sweet spot looks like South Yorkshire on latest projections. 

• Like 1

Posted

UKV 15z snow depth chart for tomorrow morning. It thinks the Wolds will do best tonight which would be unusual for something coming from the west - I’d have put money on the Leeds/Huddersfield areas getting the biggest total.

IMG_1745.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Cold Winter said:

UKV 15z snow depth chart for tomorrow morning. It thinks the Wolds will do best tonight which would be unusual for something coming from the west - I’d have put money on the Leeds/Huddersfield areas getting the biggest total.

IMG_1745.png

Looks like the system is going  to reinvigorate over more eastern parts of our region, but like many say will be down to nowcasting and could be the odd surprise in the mix 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

Looks like the system is going  to reinvigorate over more eastern parts of our region, but like many say will be down to nowcasting and could be the odd surprise in the mix 

To be fair the area over Leeds at the moment that is currently intensifying and growing slightly is modelled on the UKV for the next few hours to move over East Yorkshire.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Think eastern suburbs of leeds could do quite well and get a good 2/3cm tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still dry here despite what the radar says so could be a night of frustration at times. Temps edging back up to zero but not concerned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
8 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Light/moderate icy hail falling here, sounds like rain on impact but completely frozen.

Graupel😉

graupelsnowUtah(2).thumb.jpg.49d5b102da8e78dfb7a011763c928a0e.jpg

Edited by Allseasons-Si
  • Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Yeah, looks like the atmosphere has been moistened which is why the poster above saw light rain when it went light but it should allow further reinforcement to survive. 

Next blob is inbound for Huddersfield at reasonable strength.

What are your thoughts for Sunday night snd Mondays system

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Don't think it's graupel it is hard and not soft

Could be freezing rain then maybe?

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-Si said:

Could be freezing rain then maybe?

Ya probably right actually 😂, just looked up the exact definition of graupel and it's more likely to be that than anything else. Definitely not freezing rain.

• Thanks 1