Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Hailstones. Temp says 5 degrees

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

00z Thu

Gnarly at 972mb maybe 968? - fun on the tops*

h500slp.thumb.png.8be7f5f3f04d89a416329eb098eaf4a9.png uksnowrisk.thumb.png.a48164e455a5359941181e9584d0efe1.png

Cabin Up.

*if allowed

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Had a lightning alert from my weather station an hour or two ago but nothing on Blitzortung.

GFS 0 Z shows heavy snow for some of the region during Wed night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
15 minutes ago, Slidergate '17 said:

MetO now going for an Amber warning re rain on Tue-Wed. Not looking good.

Just about to post that myself, we are well inside the Amber area here and the ground is already saturated so it’s not looking good for those in more flood prone areas.

At least the biblical worst case totals of yesterday have been downrated slightly but even the totals being shown now pose real threats.

a potentially rough few days coming up for many.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

Just about to post that myself, we are well inside the Amber area here and the ground is already saturated so it’s not looking good for those in more flood prone areas.

At least the biblical worst case totals of yesterday have been downrated slightly but even the totals being shown now pose real threats.

a potentially rough few days coming up for many.

Same here. Perhaps the wettest day since the Xmas 2015 floods?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

Same here. Perhaps the wettest day since the Xmas 2015 floods?

Official rain totals from that event are similar to the top end being mention this time.

our nearest station recorded 125mm over a 30 hour period and that put record amounts into nearly all rivers draining to either side of the Pennines and in many places, flooding was the worst on record.

a terrible situation for those affected and then we didn’t have the added issues around Coronavirus.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes not looking good...I fall within the amber warning & when they mention 'western facing hills' you know your going to be in for a soaking.  I expect the flooding will be in the usual prone spots nr river catchment areas and the dips in the villages.  Places like Todmorden & Hebden Bridge will need to be on the guard again....basically anywhere near a river.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

An event full week coming up mild and very wet to start as indicated by the Meto warnings there after becoming colder with snow showers pushing south a lot going on but flooding seems to be the headline maker initially before ice and possibly wintry conditions into the second half of the week into the weekend 

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Bad news. Met Office have just issued a Amber weather warning for rain for parts of our region. 

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

A weak watery sun was viisible through the clouds now and then this afternoon.  Almost calm at present.  Feels as though Nature is holding its breath while wondering where the next energetic Atlantic storm will hit hardest.

The brooks on the fell sides are still roaring noisily.  Farmland is sodden.    More heavy rain this next week up here will cause further savage erosion, landslips and silting up of drains. 

• Like 7

Posted

Certainly going to be in for some extremes in the next few days, latest update is predicting 67mm of rain on Tuesday alone! - if only we would get snow like that..  Hopefully Thursday will offer something to possibly look forward too, even if it is only a short event. Quite a few models favoring snow for this area at moment,  will just have to hope they come through.

• Like 3

Posted
43 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

A weak watery sun was viisible through the clouds now and then this afternoon.  Almost calm at present.  Feels as though Nature is holding its breath while wondering where the next energetic Atlantic storm will hit hardest.

The brooks on the fell sides are still roaring noisily.  Farmland is sodden.    More heavy rain this next week up here will cause further savage erosion, landslips and silting up of drains. 

Concerning - where is your exact location? Chipping? - Inglewhite?

Posted

Well had a weird birthday yesterday in lock down had a takeaway and few jars thought it was going to snow which would of been a bonus but hey ho rain and wind but the last bit was probably due to the amount of broth and peas that I ate the day before

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Having looked at the Amber warning, I think the Mersey catchment including Glossop Brook, River Etherow and the Goyt are going to be roaring through.

The reservoirs up Woodhead are all full so there is no choice but to dump all the excess in the Etherow.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Well had a weird birthday yesterday in lock down had a takeaway and few jars thought it was going to snow which would of been a bonus but hey ho rain and wind but the last bit was probably due to the amount of broth and peas that I ate the day before

Happy birthday mate and a lesson learned is never expect snow on your birthday, even if it’s a winter one.

mine is just before Christmas but I can’t think of more than a handful in the 50+ I can actually remember where it has snowed.

• Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Happy birthday mate and a lesson learned is never expect snow on your birthday, even if it’s a winter one.

mine is just before Christmas but I can’t think of more than a handful in the 50+ I can actually remember where it has snowed.

Yes, happy birthday. Mine is two days after Christmas and my birthday in 1962 was a classic, at what was the start of the worst winter of the 20th century.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yes, happy birthday. Mine is two days after Christmas and my birthday in 1962 was a classic, at what was the start of the worst winter of the 20th century.

I'm Nov '62 -  we all slept downstairs next to the coal fire - ice on the inside of the windows  - permafrost and 3ft of snow -  I didn't get christened till March.

• Like 5

Posted

Quite a few of us on here pushing the big 60, mine is just before Christmas this year.

just need this damn virus to sod off and then i can look at celebrating somewhere other than in the house.

• Like 4