Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Very cold night in the offing. We have a cm cover which I will take. It should stick around tomorrow in sheltered spots. Ground is rock hard and will take a few days to thaw out.

Looking forward to a crisp white local wintry scene in the morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

For those that have missed the snow I apologies but here in East Cumbria this cold spell just keeps on giving.

After the 24 hour snowfall yesterday and  a maximum of just 0.3c today, tonight we are looking at the lowest minimum temperature since December 2010, at my own station north of Penrith the temperature is currently -8.9c so a minimum below -10c is almost a certainty while -12c is possible.

With big upgrades in the models next week this is easily the best January since 2010 (January 2013 was rubbish here).

Why can't winter weather always be like this?

Andy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
48 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

For those that have missed the snow I apologies but here in East Cumbria this cold spell just keeps on giving.

After the 24 hour snowfall yesterday and  a maximum of just 0.3c today, tonight we are looking at the lowest minimum temperature since December 2010, at my own station north of Penrith the temperature is currently -8.9c so a minimum below -10c is almost a certainty while -12c is possible.

With big upgrades in the models next week this is easily the best January since 2010 (January 2013 was rubbish here).

Why can't winter weather always be like this?

Andy

What depths have you got in Penrith?

Posted

Waking up to -2c and a sharp frost - cold dry day ahead but maybe more cloudy than forecast yesterday.  No surprise there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Pleasantly surprised by how this winter is going so far. 
I’ve had four ice days over the past week and in the last few days some snowfall. 

It’s currently minus 9 outside which is the coldest temp I’ve seen since December 2010,  and it could potentially hit minus 10 as theres still a good few hours of cooling left. 

AE6AACD9-827A-4F84-B35E-13B48C1F9EF8.thumb.jpeg.bcc255bd0b39a49b7bd45ecd2780a083.jpegEE72CEFF-0BE1-43E0-8327-002FD9E795FD.thumb.jpeg.4e44e54c9c97c1b08bac09204092da36.jpeg

B75B4775-3E84-4734-B1E9-5D441CF080A1.thumb.jpeg.c8357916a7400f1dffba3f64da4f1d32.jpeg

EA6D4470-EDB9-4AEC-864E-28FDEE4D927B.thumb.jpeg.77542b29b20142d8df28b14fda75014a.jpeg
33BF5532-D23F-4C0F-A0F9-8FA54E2FB242.thumb.jpeg.d9e3e96aca5af98278bc4138fe87d24f.jpeg

Edited by DisruptiveGust
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Lovely start to the day here with a few inches of what I imagine is crisp snow underfoot and clear conditions.

perfect for a socially distanced winter walk within your local area of course.

Typical that I’m practically laid up with a bad back

• Like 1

Posted

Variable temps snow cover making a difference, my sensor is too high I feel, above freezing, yet this should be the coldest point of the day as clear skies will night.

Posted

-7 here in quite thick fog. Coldest temperatures seem to be slightly further north in southern Scotland where it seems to be widely -10/-11 even to the coast. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

Where are you...I've forgotten? Another Eden Valleyite!

Langwathby. Usually pretty good for low night temperatures here. Fog might be holding it up a bit. 

Posted

Ah yes - many an absolutely horrendously cold night spent in the chicken shed on the industrial estate shooting arrows. I knew it wasn't going to be Kirkby Stephen anyway as your English was too good. Crystal clear over here. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Barmada_Casten said:

What depths have you got in Penrith?

8cms here in Plumpton North of Penrith, the town itself slightly less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Beautiful start to the day here with a hard frost with yet more re-freezing of the existing snow cover.  Looks like freezing rain a real possibility overnight.

• Like 1

Posted

Freezing fog prevented the temperature dropping further than the -9c i had at 2am, shame as -12c could easily have been reached. Its still a bone chilling frost.

Andy

• Like 2

Posted

Sun coming up now over a frozen landscape, currently-7c, perfect morning

20210109_090812.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
19 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Temperature has dropped even further -3.5C

Arrived at work at 0700 and temperature was 0c now -3c very unusual to see a frost reforming on the car at 0930am 

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Well, your spoilt for choice or maybe the Police are waiting to be pedantic.

Lets see... Manor Park, Howard Park, Padfield Park and that little park next to the river at George Street. Which one would be the safest to avoid that £200 fine?

Not sure Torside is a good idea.

Always prefer Howard Park... only small but like sitting feeding the ducks and spotting the herons... when the pubs are open again a good walk around manor park then popping into an old glossop pub for lunch/tea will be lovely again

Edited by WillinGlossop