Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

An hour after the sun rose above the ridge opposite the house and the mist has rolled in from the same point.

a completely different feel to the day now.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Lovely start to the day here with a few inches of what I imagine is crisp snow underfoot and clear conditions.

perfect for a socially distanced winter walk within your local area of course.

Typical that I’m practically laid up with a bad back

I know the feeling I got diagnosed with Shingles after Christmas so other than time outside with the dogs twice a day I’ve just been lying in bed watching it snow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well the WRF got it right last night temperatures really struggle to fall until after midnight. Minimum eventually was -2.8 both here and at Crosby and it’s currently -1.0 here and -2.1 at Crosby.

Little disappointed we couldn’t get a really cold night to end this cold spell but never mind.

The minimum for the winter then is -4.8°C on Wednesday night.

Cold spell statistics for my location:

11 air frosts since the 27th; (Maybe 12 after this evening).

7 days with snow falling.

0 days with snow on the ground. (Not counting  4 mm  dustings). 

4 days with ice pellets/wintry mix precipitation.

overall 5.5/10

• Like 6

Posted

An interesting start to the day here in S Cheshire. Sun got up but then the mist rolled in soon after and is only now starting to clear. Perhaps a bit of a drop in temperature was responsible as the skies cleared. Pleased that there was little or no ice around as I walked (locally!) to get my newspaper. I certainly prefer these sorts of day to the mild gunge that we may get next week.

Could I politely ask please what the 'bickering' is all about which 'has to stop'? I certainly can't see much bickering on this thread. A  lot of posts but I like seeing the experiences of people in different parts of the region as well as relevant discussion, for example on covid related issues. Keep 'em coming I say!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
5 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

An interesting start to the day here in S Cheshire. Sun got up but then the mist rolled in soon after and is only now starting to clear. Perhaps a bit of a drop in temperature was responsible as the skies cleared. Pleased that there was little or no ice around as I walked (locally!) to get my newspaper. I certainly prefer these sorts of day to the mild gunge that we may get next week.

Could I politely ask please what the 'bickering' is all about which 'has to stop'? I certainly can't see much bickering on this thread. A  lot of posts but I like seeing the experiences of people in different parts of the region as well as relevant discussion, for example on covid related issues. Keep 'em coming I say!

Some posts have likely been removed by mods, so you probably haven't seen the reason for the comments on bickering. I think people know who the trolls are so best just to ignore them and not rise to it.

• Like 3

Posted

-2c clouded over/Misty pretty frozen solid out... just done first home covid test... can’t believe it’s yodel picking it up... oh well hey ho hey ho first time leaving house this year... Tesco’s so exciting

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
23 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

I know the feeling I got diagnosed with Shingles after Christmas so other than time outside with the dogs twice a day I’ve just been lying in bed watching it snow. 

Never had Shingles myself but heard it’s painful.

Hope you are better soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Doesn't look too icy here, about to take the dogs for a walk so will see.

Looking at the snow in Spain its amazing. Madrid is buried.  My boyfriend is spanish from a city called Zamora and he says snow is rare in his city, its snowing and settling there too. Here's hoping we get more snow in the coming weeks.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Dense freezing fog has descended here. Liverpool airport ATIS makes for interesting listening.

Low visibility procedures in force,  visibility down to 150 m on the runway and broken cloud below 100 feet. Still -0.5°C.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Kinda glad this cold spell is coming to an end. It’s just all turned rather stale and boring. 

Every day hovers around 1-3C, every day (apart from today) is pretty much cloudy. 

There’s no snow, we had snow in December, it’s stuck around in parts still but is now just lookalike snow, it’s ice. Every night time hovers around 0/-1C, but it still manages to find a way to rain. Freezing rain became a problem recently. 

There’s nothing interesting. Everything that tries to make inroads and is forecast to be wintry just fails. 

The models are looking encouraging though, but for our part of the world encouraging for cold. Not for snow. But with all that moisture in the flow, surely we’d eventually hit an event at the right time. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Pendlesnow said:

Certainly hope that everyone gets some of the white stuff....my first pic on here 29/12 and today 09/01 spot the difference been like that for 12 days now

6F513794-EC5B-4612-8C3B-6B0DB34055C1.jpeg

48F5C4A2-10CA-4892-A82A-EE91453AE033.jpeg

horrible difference! we'll never have pre Corona days back

Posted

No frost in hattersley, car said it was1c.

2 minutes up the road to the Werneth Low, its a winter wonderland... 

20210109_111609.jpg

20210109_112226.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
2 hours ago, Backtrack said:

The models are looking encouraging though, but for our part of the world encouraging for cold. Not for snow. But with all that moisture in the flow, surely we’d eventually hit an event at the right time. 

Whilst the models do look encouraging, it is in a timeframe way too far in the future to be taken seriously so take them with a HUGE pinch of salt. In the long distance timeframe they very rarely come into fruition. As far as the short-term is concerned things are set to get slightly milder but snow chances in this region away from high ground are minimal. B.C.

Posted
2 hours ago, Backtrack said:

Kinda glad this cold spell is coming to an end. It’s just all turned rather stale and boring. 

Every day hovers around 1-3C, every day (apart from today) is pretty much cloudy. 

There’s no snow, we had snow in December, it’s stuck around in parts still but is now just lookalike snow, it’s ice. Every night time hovers around 0/-1C, but it still manages to find a way to rain. Freezing rain became a problem recently. 

There’s nothing interesting. Everything that tries to make inroads and is forecast to be wintry just fails. 

I have loved it, bits of snow on the ground for ages, lots of stunning frosty mornings, blue skies, crisp cold days, best cold spell since 2010.

• Like 2

Posted

Well as the cold spell comes to an end I took a trip out on my bike ..

Its been decent locally, no major snow but lots of frost and the odd dusting.

The boating lake has frozen!

20210109_093119.jpg

20210109_094903.jpg

20210109_094613.jpg

20210109_085307.jpg

Last pic is view from my front door at 9am

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, chris78 said:

I have loved it, bits of snow on the ground for ages, lots of stunning frosty mornings, blue skies, crisp cold days, best cold spell since 2010.

Even up here, having snow on the ground for over a week has been a bit of a rarity in recent years so it has been a bit of a special period and quite unusual.

I wouldn’t have minded a heavier fall of snow and a few more sunny but icy days but I’ll take it over wet and mild crap.

just hope that the up coming less cold period is short and followed by further wintry conditions and it looks more and more likely that this will be the case.

• Like 4

Posted

Survived Tesco... wasn’t overly busy... husband decided to take the car for a drive afterwards as battery playing up due to not taking car out... drove up the snake over a foot of snow up there... very foggy... lots and lots of people walking up there in the road... didn’t get out the car and did a u-turn the other side...Lots of people sledging at Glossop golf course... 

still -1c sun making an appearance 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Survived Tesco... wasn’t overly busy... husband decided to take the car for a drive afterwards as battery playing up due to not taking car out... drove up the snake over a foot of snow up there... very foggy... lots and lots of people walking up there in the road... didn’t get out the car and did a u-turn the other side...Lots of people sledging at Glossop golf course... 

still -1c sun making an appearance 

What’s about lots of police counting £200 fines.

• Like 1

Posted

Another wintry day. Not as icy as thought it would be. Ventured north into the hinterland between here and Troutbeck. From 200m up the snow is a bit deeper, but a couple if inches at best. Interesting to note the green fields below 50 metres by Lake Windermere. The fells themselves don't have much deep snow on them by the look of things, indicative of the fact that whilst last 2 weeks have been persistently cold and sub freezing above 400 metres there has been no major active weather front through the region. What snow has fallen has been mostly light, and due to weak fronts or light connective showers.

A misty raw darkness has moved in since lunchtime, a sign of a change to slightly milder air, the cold being released slowly from the ground. We had a few sleety flurries for a bit earlier. Temp max 2 degrees, may drop close to freezing for a bit this evening, before cloud rolls in and then rain, with snow on high ground.

Tomorrow will feel and look very different to last 2 weeks, back to the grey low cloud and it won't be especially mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

In summary for me.... overall pretty dissapointing and nowhere near as good as it could and should have been. Two falls have not registered over a cm, the second the most slight of dustings. Still preferable to mild rainy zonality I guess but a very tame effort. As I said earlier short-term prospects in the reliable timeframe are not particularly enthralling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Lovely Alpine Day, days like these are rare indeed. Minimum last night -9.4c max today -0.7c although milder weather tonight will prevent an ice day.

C343977E-E092-4A76-A8DD-1A63EE4DEA64.jpeg

62FEDE9F-C247-48CE-887A-815CEF04FDA8.jpeg

44480A35-F2D7-4238-B9CD-EF37D8A86341.jpeg

• Like 3