Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
59 minutes ago, Mountain Snow said:

Well today has saved this cold spell. Woke this morning to two inches on the ground, light snow on a stiff northerly all day has left another 1/2 inch. Another bitter mid winters day. Shame all this snow will be gone in a couple of days after such a long cold spell of dustings. 

May not be too long before it comes back, mid-week feature looking interesting, if the colder air holds to the north, might see a battleground snow event, but boundaries very marginal, height will help, and any snow on low ground will thaw quick.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Today did hold a lot of potential but I agree it did rather fizzle out in these parts which was a bit disappointing. However, I think this part of the region has done relatively well in comparison to some other locations in this spell. I think it would take an exceptional event to deliver several inches of snow in these parts. I think it has been a good cold spell here with snow falling on multiple days and snow which has stuck around on the ground for several days. I'd much rather have the weather we have had over the past 13 days or so than the mild and at times wet/damp weather which we can probably expect after this weekend. 

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest mustn’t grumble had 4-5 inches snow early December and 3-4 inches late December so at least ten times better than measly dusting we had February or March last year.... just hope there is more wintry potential the rest of this winter bit of a downer today but will try and get out of the house for a Tesco shop and walk in park tomorrow... hopefully won’t be arrested by Derbyshire police

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

To be honest mustn’t grumble had 4-5 inches snow early December and 3-4 inches late December so at least ten times better than measly dusting we had February or March last year.... just hope there is more wintry potential the rest of this winter bit of a downer today but will try and get out of the house for a Tesco shop and walk in park... hopefully won’t be arrested by Derbyshire police

_116387010_walk1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The two women were given £200 fixed penalty notices after driving five miles to go on a walk.

You mean this?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Looks like thats it for this cold spell. The cold spell is arn't that bad just had a few days with snowfalling, mostly light. I rate this 6/10.

I suppose this is a good start to the new year!!

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Still got light snow here but looking at the radar, the heavier stuff is stopping where it pretty much has all day, about 5 miles or so over the ridge and into Yorkshire and ties in very well with the snow warning for those parts.

the last few days have been some of the most frustrating for a long time given that we have had falling snow on almost every one of the last 10 days with little daytime melt but still have barely a covering to show for it.

TBH the main thing which will mark this winter spell around here is cloud and fog rather than frost and snow.

yesterday was foggy throughout to the point where the smoke from a huge factory fire around the corner from work was almost invisible against the greyness of the day and today hasn’t been much better.

Obviously others in the region have done much better and, as usual other regions better again but IMBY it’s been a lengthy spell of wasted potential and what if’s.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
9 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

To be honest mustn’t grumble had 4-5 inches snow early December and 3-4 inches late December so at least ten times better than measly dusting we had February or March last year.... just hope there is more wintry potential the rest of this winter bit of a downer today but will try and get out of the house for a Tesco shop and walk in park tomorrow... hopefully won’t be arrested by Derbyshire police

Make sure it’s your nearest park and don’t call for a coffee on the way and may just be ok.

• Like 1

Posted

In addition to the coffee's, they must have had one of these in their pockets...

640x640.jpg

for the Derbyshire constabulary to come to such a conclusion.

• Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, Had Worse said:
_116387010_walk1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The two women were given £200 fixed penalty notices after driving five miles to go on a walk.

You mean this?

Yep

Posted
35 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Make sure it’s your nearest park and don’t call for a coffee on the way and may just be ok.

it’s only 5-10 minute walk to park or an open countryside walk on doorstep... won’t take a picnic bar with me though just in case

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted

I've done a lot of moaning today, just so annoying how over 2 weeks we had multiple shots and not more than 5 to 10 mins of lying snow well dusting. 

would of been great while working at home but not to be. 

I wonder if we will ever see a 2010 again or even close.

Posted
14 minutes ago, jam2010 said:

I wonder if we will ever see a 2010 again or even close.

It was thought to be a 1-50 year event, at the least, so later in the Century perhaps.......! 10 years is too soon. But another one could happen in the next 80 years according to the law of averages! Based on 2 per Century?

Edited by Waterspout
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
39 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

it’s only 5-10 minute walk to park or an open countryside walk on doorstep... won’t take a picnic bar with me though just in case

Well, your spoilt for choice or maybe the Police are waiting to be pedantic.

Lets see... Manor Park, Howard Park, Padfield Park and that little park next to the river at George Street. Which one would be the safest to avoid that £200 fine?

Not sure Torside is a good idea.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
1 hour ago, pip22 said:

Looks like thats it for this cold spell. The cold spell is arn't that bad just had a few days with snowfalling, mostly light. I rate this 6/10.

I suppose this is a good start to the new year!!

Not only is that it for the cold spell but that is probably for the rest of the winter by the looks of things. I have had two measly dusting which is about standard for these parts.

Posted
1 hour ago, Waterspout said:

It was thought to be a 1-50 year event, at the least, so later in the Century perhaps.......! 10 years is too soon. But another one could happen in the next 80 years according to the law of averages! Based on 2 per Century?

I will probably be 90 then, I might be a grumpy old man!

Posted

The cold snap/spell was okay for me, snowfall not the best but we did get a surprising heavy snowfall with the trough system last Saturday and there has been some nice frosty weather. The easterly was a let down in the respect it bought more cloud cover and a lack of frost. 

Last night/today was a right old mix, really dissapointed at no signs of snowfall when I woke up this morning but this afternoon did bring snow which left a very partial dusting but the snow was heavy at times, just too wet in nature to settle much. Interestingly though just half a mile down the road, there was more notice table evidence of lying snow which shows just how tight these situations can be. I reckon Lancaster could even have thicker lying snow and that is only 3.miles away. 

Hopefully a proper cold winters night tonight and get a hard white frost and tomorrow looks a cracking winters day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

Currently settled to around -2.8 here, certainly cold and very crisp. Sporadic patchy dustings of snow in parts. Interestingly the snow line is about the lowest I have ever seen it in these parts which I have found fascinating. Congrats to all those who got something these last few days - as a region we deserve it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

1.2c here, why so warm, not too much cloud about