Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

I know its a while off but must say I'm currently favoring the latest outlook for next Wednesday... both GFS and ECM looking good at moment...

image.thumb.png.14f3234aeebb4f154cc054acd8319ece.pngimage.thumb.png.2353c763e2a67345a7b08afea87c13a6.png < ECM (19/01)

image.thumb.png.e9a293a926699122211d825e65c3e649.pngimage.thumb.png.83d589cee97c259b8ba234d5ed7af3a5.png< GFS (19/01)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image.thumb.png.aca260457ec48f5c950edc5b53f40ce8.pngimage.thumb.png.d7f264f6be27355cf71f9e105ee9bf67.png< ECM (20/01)

image.thumb.png.eddfe0444244fae14b985a8c2913855b.pngimage.thumb.png.7f24047e4532ba634be9aa66b60ee35d.png< GFS(20/01)

I wouldn't mind either of those outcomes, must say though I'm slightly favoring the GFS if it tracks north a bit more.

• Like 1

Posted

Also liking the current update for tomorrow just issued by the METOFFICE - they could be just getting my hopes up though, will have to wait and see

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Might not have to wait that long trying to snow now at Manchester airport.

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Interesting weather over the next 48 hours with plenty of precipitation across the region.

heavy rain for most but the potential for a lot of snow over high ground, certainly tomorrow as the front stalls and then starts to head back and further south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Interesting reports above.  Metoffice forecast mentions sleet or snow for some today, tonight and tomorrow, again not exclusively on the hills. Therefore I think this is still looking potentially promising, especially for those higher up in the East of the region.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

Might not have to wait that long trying to snow now at Manchester airport.

C.S

That's only at 78m asl as well so very encouraging.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Freezing level is between 1500–2500 m all day today through to  tomorrow morning but then it drops abruptly to around 300 m or less as the cold air undercuts and DP starts to fall as well so that’s when the snow chance begins. Can’t see anything except freezing rain chance in places  today unless DP is  low throughout the atmosphere Column. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Freezing level is between 1500–2500 m all day today through to  tomorrow morning but then it drops abruptly to around 300 m or less as the cold air undercuts and DP starts to fall as well so that’s when the snow chance begins. Can’t see anything except freezing rain chance in places  today unless DP is  low throughout the atmosphere Column. 

Thanks for this, very informative. Manchester Airport TAF includes snow risk in the forecast from midnight onwards tonight so I assume that's about the time when freezing level and dewpoints start to become more favourable for lower level snow. 

• Like 2

Posted

Could be heading for the biggest cold spell 'bust' according too the 'mad' thread if this much vaunted SSW doesn't produce the wintry goods before January sails out.  Not the best overnight model runs but it will probably be back on track by this afternoon.

In the short term...possible back edge slush tomorrow as the cold rain turns a little sleety on its exit.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
26 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Thanks for this, very informative. Manchester Airport TAF includes snow risk in the forecast from midnight onwards tonight so I assume that's about the time when freezing level and dewpoints start to become more favourable for lower level snow. 

In the east of the region yes but further west have to wait till later in the morning and don’t know how far  the undercut will make it yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Am I right in thinking that its the southern contingent that are gathering their toys and prams?

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Best avoid that thread

Its becoming difficult to follow.  I know its compared to a rollercoaster but it seems like two in parallel with one dipping at the same time the other is climbing. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Its becoming difficult to follow.  I know its compared to a rollercoaster but it seems like two in parallel with one dipping at the same time the other is climbing. 

Sustained cold is probably not on the cards, the ensembles have clearly pointed to milder weather breaking through at times especially for the south hence the toys being ejected left right and centre.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Am I right in thinking that its the southern contingent that are gathering their toys and prams?

Always. Even a certain Mr S M the other day was throwing toys which is a little unusual for him and now he seems to have disappeared.

• Like 1

Posted

The South always gets the best heat and storm/MCS’s in the long-term  so only  fair we should get the best of the  snow in the short term

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, frosty ground said:

He has been banned

Just now, frosty ground said:

He has been banned

Are right didn’t know. Too many toys then.

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

Always. Even a certain Mr S M the other day was throwing toys which is a little unusual for him and now he seems to have disappeared.

I believe he's on the naughty step and has resorted to twitter.

Yes, looking forward to something is a positive driver but equally, its a good thing to balance it out with disappointment if what you get doesn't meet your expectation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

DP already too high at this stage for anything good today here at lowland levels 1.9c .. will see if improves tomorrow

Posted

Have installed a backup weather station which has the correct DP/RH as the main one was not working. Will be able to report DP now.

currently temp 2.3°C, DP 1.6°C.

• Like 1