Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

image.thumb.png.4b0e74ee9df482a3ac011fcb62765387.png Green patches on type so seems to stack up.

Cant remember if this is actually the case or if its from data predicting that it should snow / sleet etc. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

image.thumb.png.4b0e74ee9df482a3ac011fcb62765387.png Green patches on type so seems to stack up.

Cant remember if this is actually the case or if its from data predicting that it should snow / sleet etc. 

The ap forecast I have isn’t that reliable but does seem to go off radar within 3-6 hours... sometimes wrong sometimes right... saying snow between midnight and 4am then snow between 8am to 8pm... won’t pan out like that but we shall see ... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A definite sleety mix falling here now.

on the door bell camera it looked like snow on the lawn but after jumping out of the chair it was just plain old wet but the stuff coming down is starting to turn sleety so hopefully looking good for in the morning.

6 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Moderate rain 2c looking nice on radar... 

i know they are automated but looking at Buxton saying snow 10pm 

This is really promising to hear. According to the WRF that should be impossible for you to cee  any sort of wintry precipitation at the moment as the freezing level is 2100 m  and most of the air above you is between 3-7° above freezing and saturated.

The cold air must be undercutting already or something very odd is going on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
5 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I think it is data based on temp – DP observations unless it’s changed now.

Posted

image.thumb.png.890056d408984c5a76693537aa74ee9a.png Maybe he has one of these.

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

This is really promising to hear. According to the WRF that should be impossible for you to cee  any sort of wintry precipitation at the moment as the freezing level is 2100 m  and most of the air above you is between 3-7° above freezing and saturated.

The cold air must be undercutting already or something very odd is going on.

It’s only the automated forecast on an app but netweather radar saying sleet north in Yorkshire/Lancashire ... if that’s the case undercutting going on, otherwise it’s pish we shall see I guess... 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, WillinGlossop said:

I do... my husband got me one for Christmas a few years ago.... lots of liquid snow foam ❄️❄️❄️❄️

Now i know why you always get more snow, bigger flakes and picture postcard scenes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A few posters in the Yorkshire thread are reporting snow now at pretty low levels so the colder uppers are definitely on there way back in our direction.

just hope they don’t decide to stay on that side of the Pennines, at least until spring.

• Like 7

Posted

Apparently falling at a height of 126m

Thats lower than me.

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, Wardlegacy said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to get some wet snow from tomorrow morning. If I don’t I may walk out of the village to get a bit higher. 

Ladders?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Well it's fair dissing it down tonight - even the Terriers have had enough.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Where was this? I’ll have a look at the data. Interesting.

On the meteociel charts, uppers are apparently above zero until early morning and then they cool down quite a bit during the day tomorrow. I guess in one way, we will never truly know just how accurate those uppers are hence I guess a small temperature drop could make all the difference.

I think the problem for those in the south of the region, the wind direction has to change before we see much in the way of significant wintry reports down there. So some patience might be needed.

• Like 2

Posted

Just been clearing out photos on my phone and came across a few wintery ones from a few years back (March 2016) , thought ide share some of them to give us some hope for the rest of this year, as pictured below we still got plenty of time for some serious snow.

March2016(snow).JPG

March2016(snow3).JPG

March2016(snow5).JPG

• Like 4

Posted

Interesting!  @Scott Ingham

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
30 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Just been clearing out photos on my phone and came across a few wintery ones from a few years back (March 2016) , thought ide share some of them to give us some hope for the rest of this year, as pictured below we still got plenty of time for some serious snow.

March2016(snow).JPG

March2016(snow3).JPG

March2016(snow5).JPG

Early March wasn't it? Good event that was. Easily better than anything that fell in the previous winter. Had about 5 inches here.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Frost HoIIow said:

Early March wasn't it? Good event that was. Easily better than anything that fell in the previous winter. Had about 5 inches here.

Yea was great! I believe there where  2 SSW events that year if I'm correct one early Feb and then again in March.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

I think your location is more promising, not saying you will see lying snow but the PPN should be there at least. 

Some encouraging reports of sleet/snow falling at higher ground in places despite uppers of just above zero(apparently) so going to be interesting how it all plays out.

Power of evaporative cooling at play at relatively low levels in N Yorkshire at present, greens on the radar where it is heavy.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its way more of a mix than forecast. Colder ait is digging in way quicker. It may explain why the hi res have upgraded totals!

Noting that Mam Tor id forecast to get heavy snow from 23.00 tonight, thats about 19 miles from me so im thinking tomorrow could be very interesting for a while, not least, the MO having to re evaluate the warnings.

Posted

Quite moderate-heavy rain here presently, temps not dropping much yet, around 3.5 degrees. Today was very interesting temp wise, temps on top of Helvellyn were only about a degree colder than valleys, indicative of the warm saturated air aloft. Not often this happens under a frontal system.

• Like 2