Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted

I've just been looking over the FAX chart archive for the BFTE. Look at the troughs we had, 24 hours worth, that's what we've been missing this time around. Notice the easterly in 2018 originated from an arctic airmass, where as this time we've been pulling in from eastern Europe as there's just been too much activity in the baltic sea.

BFTE

image.thumb.png.f0accee18dafc7d2a7a82ab0f38a3a71.png

image.thumb.png.a67535ca5936b1b2acb60e4db8eff103.png

image.thumb.png.fb26ba7521f5e26ab34aae77d2c28a92.png

This year

image.thumb.png.66dac0c387806328b2bbed9b41179e67.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
27 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Is it just me or does this not even feel particularly cold? 

You are joking. I’m working outside it’s bloody freezing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

It's made it past the purple line of doom just. Can see the cloud building out east getting closer. 

Screenshot_20210209-083912.thumb.png.11f18d75cef51323d850299fc5309fd3.png

PXL_20210209_083615310.thumb.jpg.a4c86a84e42c3f9ae1c603bdb7396e1c.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

Had a much better night here, all tracks covered up, probs 3 or 4 inches or so. 

Matt Hugo has the North east down as prime area from the early hours tomorrow morning, fingers crossed. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Fairweather Teessider said:

Finally some decent snow falling in Redcar, small blizzard conditions

Yeah proper decent sized flakes some big showers coming in behind it also 

Posted
2 minutes ago, North East Blizzard said:

Had a much better night here, all tracks covered up, probs 3 or 4 inches or so. 

Matt Hugo has the North east down as prime area from the early hours tomorrow morning, fingers crossed. 

I have everything crossed. I've promised my son a day on his new sledge and he bloody well will get it, even if I drag him round on the road! Currently the North East seems to be doing fairly well Berwick to Morpeth, and to some extent Teeside. Us in the middle are struggling. 

Posted

What can I say? I echo what others have said today. It should have been better. It's been awful. And I don't care how it comes across, it's made a thousand times worse by seeing so many other places get winter wonderland scenes. Now up to half a metre in parts of Kent. Kent. When was the last time we got close to that away from the usual high spots up here? A nationwide flop would have been much easier to take.

As P-M said, things are bleak right now, as we all know, and maybe that's why this hits home more strongly than it otherwise would have. Might be a good day not even to bother with the radar - not least because it also serves to remind you how much so many other places are STILL getting!

external-content.duckduckgo_com.thumb.gif.9deddf839cb98f6c0b52ae2c7e46ed40.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

What a complete letdown this has been! Went to bed at 2am, and there’s zero more snow on the ground this morning!

Just been out to defrost the car for the wife, and it wasn’t even frozen (small patch on the windscreen).

Bit jealous of the wife, as she’s driving up to work at Greencroft.

Beastie, my arsie

• Like 1

Posted

Bone dry outside, patchy frost cover, it is so dry it doesn't look cold, however, current temp is -1.6 degrees. 

Not expecting much shower activity through the day, as happened yesterday, but hoping the change in wind direction to a NE flow later this evening might be more favourable for us, with greater convection.

A sunny day ahead - indeed the week as a whole is looking very sunny, much welcomed. Complete opposite to this time last year which was wet wet wet.

Posted
2 minutes ago, NickR said:

What can I say? I echo what others have said today. It should have been better. It's been awful. And I don't care how it comes across, it's made a thousand times worse by seeing so many other places get winter wonderland scenes. Now up to half a metre in parts of Kent. Kent. When was the last time we got close to that away from the usual high spots up here? A nationwide flop would have been much easier to take.

As P-M said, things are bleak right now, as we all know, and maybe that's why this hits home more strongly than it otherwise would have. Might be a good day not even to bother with the radar - not least because it also serves to remind you how much so many other places are STILL getting!

external-content.duckduckgo_com.thumb.gif.9deddf839cb98f6c0b52ae2c7e46ed40.gif

I suggest you don't worry too much about Kent. If it comes to snow on average we get 10 times what they get. This is an exception,not a rule 

And when it comes to everything else (people, food,scenery, cost of living) the north east as always wins 100 to 0. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, mathematician said:

I suggest you don't worry too much about Kent. If it comes to snow on average we get 10 times what they get. This is an exception,not a rule 

And when it comes to everything else (people, food,scenery, cost of living) the north east as always wins 100 to 0. 

That depends where you are from. I'd say Kent gets more snow than where I live.

Posted

I'm due to get a new front door fitted tomorrow which I've been waiting on for a couple of months now, it'll be sods law it absolutely bleaches down all night and cancels my door fitting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
45 minutes ago, MonkeyMag said:

Morning All

An ok covering here in Whitley Bay, not brilliant but better than what we have had in recent years or the attempts around and after xmas when it was just too marginal.

Not jumping to join Nicks club yet though the badge was tempting but this has been no BFTE, see what next 24-36 hours brings but i for one wont be getting taken in again by the main model ( i mean southern) thread.

I will look for as a min -15 uppers with a long fetch from Eastern Europe / Russia or from a huge scandi / artic high. This has been nothing like 2018 and one of the things i remember with that was the wind as bedroom faces east and the sheer noise of it was amazing , hard to explain

Like i say enjoy what we get over next 24-36 hours but its not been what i hoped for

I am going to join Nicks Club, in fact I want to be Vice President!

As Nick said yesterday in this God awful Covid winter this spell was something to look forward too.

All it’s giving me is a MASSIVE Working From Home heating bill. It’s -7c this morning and my meter is spinning so fast the numbers are a blur.

Can I order a Bartlett please.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted

This is looking a million times better than yesterday 

4440B905-C5C7-4EB4-9032-FB9490A149ED.png

Posted
46 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Is it just me or does this not even feel particularly cold? 

I do agree with that snow, considering the temps we were threatened with it hasn't been significantly low, it has been icy here but yet we had snow melt last few days, very strange.

Just been for a walk out, lovely, a nice 4-6cm and very crisp snow. Hopefully more to come still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Just sitting here Waiting for North Sea convection to start......

C776F066-6510-4880-9FD4-BB87150D7337.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

No sign of the snowless corridor closing up.  Have to wait until evening

image.thumb.png.21945db185280c12e828f485f47ebaae.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

The main bulk of that blob heading for me sheared off to the south of Chester le street and all I was left with was a few flakes blowing in the wind. Sums it up really. Lol

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Heaviest best snow yet here. Finally lol. 

At last NES, really happy you are starting to see some, you have probably been the most patient ( and sensible ) of all of us.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Just sitting here Waiting for North Sea convection to start......

C776F066-6510-4880-9FD4-BB87150D7337.jpeg

Gallows humour. Love it. And by 'love' I mean 'it's all we've got left', and by 'it' I mean 'because everyone else nicked our snow'.

Posted

Trying to salvage some positivity, winds swinging round to the NE noticeably in to the late evening with multiple areas of convergence.

anim_kix0.thumb.gif.6c3493252d35170491d34942a32ee4d0.gif

Edited by garylaverick
  • Like 2