Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, Matty88 said:

Not sure if this has already been discussed yet but there is always a really annoying reference of the season that's gets repeated over and over and eventually gets on everyone's gripe.... in 2019 it was 'Downwelling', this season it has to be 'wintry impacts'..... discuss  lol 

Definitely. Also the sudden mass usage of the nonsensical term ‘uptick’. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

I see Mr Hugo and Marco Petagna have gone quiet!...After banging the cold SSW drum over the last week or so (typical).

Yes it’s amazing how they all leave the crime scene when it all goes teits up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

Yes it’s amazing how they all leave the crime scene when it all goes teits up.

Saying that...a tweet has been pasted in that thread, very toned down about the uncertainty and possibly 'cooler' on the 12z eps for next week. Always take with a pinch of salt when biased which I think Mr Hugo is a cold fan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
1 hour ago, IDO said:

The ecm ens 12z suggests the op is a statistical outlier as early as d6-7:

graphe0_00_307.418106079_150.691543579___.thumb.png.f4ca470181866aba040ea7f1ae022d1e.png

The above is for London and keeps the mean around 1-2c below-average to average post d4. Models are struggling with the finer detail within the bigger picture and so the ecm op is probably one to be wary of as for specifics on the ground.

Nah looks like a Covid graph to me

same sort of peak

maybe it’s me 

but let’s look for the cold coming, (if it is ) 

instead of the ( the cold coming end)

just a thought 

crap year gone, crap charts showing at the minute but  let’s look on.

gonna be a cracker

p.s mods we need the ha ha emoji back. For some posts.

lol

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
53 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Saying that...a tweet has been pasted in that thread, very toned down about the uncertainty and possibly 'cooler' on the 12z eps for next week. Always take with a pinch of salt when biased which I think Mr Hugo is a cold fan.

That’s actually very staid and sensible for the MOD thread, unlike the usual snowmageddon posts. 

Posted

How it's going so far, we're going to mild up for a bit - to be fair probably welcome for a lot of people, especially as we're all at home and got to stay in and save on heating costs. 

I do think it will snow, but February looks the "magic month" - I'll go for a nationwide spell the first fortnight of the month.

This is more of an 08/09 style winter - decent, but better than what we've had. 

Best case (if an SSW does deliver cold and other things go our way but who knows) - an 85/86 clone - the January is looking similar, though to pull that February off will need luck. Even a watered down style one with an average of 1.5-2.8c would be a "win". 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
1 minute ago, Frigid said:

This would be a dream outlook in the UK, hard frosts and deep snow. -11c in Madrid, that's crazy!

Screenshot 2021-01-06 232656.png

Nuts isn't it... Not jel at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

actually snowing that heavy slow beautiful way here right now

all hail BFS KW and LS 

now stall you big beautiful snowmaker

• Like 1

The decade long infatuation with SSWs has passed its sell-by date for me... time to redress the balance and remind ourselves that other features deserve proper attention too.

As for February: I just feel that when the Atlantic wakes up it's gonna be explosive, wellies and sandbags at the ready.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

This would be a dream outlook in the UK, hard frosts and deep snow. -11c in Madrid, that's crazy!

Screenshot 2021-01-06 232656.png

Depending on where in Madrid that's for, that'd be close to a record going. The record minimum for central Madrid is -10C in 1945, but for the international airport to the northeast, -14C. It'll certainly be all over their media, as generally any sub-zero spell of weather makes headlines there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
48 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Tortoise - always plodding towards us from T+384 and falling down the ECM trapdoor at T+120.

Should turn up in smarch

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

This temp chart is unlikely to verify being well towards the end of the GFS run, but what a bummer it would be! 

This sort of thing has happened before though, leaving me in slight bewilderment how places known for heat and sun end up pulling off a better spell of winter weather than here!

I do know altitude and / or being away from the the Atlantic are the reasons, but C'mon! 

maxtemp.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning, if we can't have snow here in the SW, I'll happily settle for weather like this morning - beautiful, sparkly Hoare frost. For the second time during this chilly spell, it's passed the 'cold enough to freeze bubbles' test. Not sure the spider who lives here will be quite so impressed

bubble.jpg

cobweb.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

it has been cold here with some nice frosts but without any snow, kind of a dud really.

Looking forward to some slightly milder weather now which might produce the very first signs of spring.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Azazel said:

it has been cold here with some nice frosts but without any snow, kind of a dud really.

Looking forward to some slightly milder weather now which might produce the very first signs of spring.

done well here this cold shot with snow, but kinda agree with last bit, when next week comes, it's just so far away this year until Spring, this quarantining lark

also believe the milder it is, the lower the R rate, why this will start to naturally die off around Mid April, and come back in late Oct

• Like 3

Posted

We had some decent snow on December 29 but since then it’s just been cold with the odd flurry. I don’t think we’re in for a March 2018 again this week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Still none the wiser regarding how the last third of Jan will look...

I would imagine quite a bit of fluidity in the NWP over the coming days...

Meanwhile, I took a walk up one of the higher parts of Oldham this morning, the snow is patchy but its frozen solid up at 450m ( Saddleworth to the point,used to be west yorks)..

20210107_110520.jpg

20210107_113216.jpg

It was thick freezing fog pretty much to the top, where the temp was around -3....

20210107_095551.jpg

Ah I can see you went up Alphin!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, James M said:

Ah I can see you went up Alphin!

I felt my ears go very cold as we got to the top, strange thing was we could see lots of blue sky at the ridge but it was freezing g fog all the way up.

Everything was frozen solid as you got above 300m ...

Anyway, don't want to detail the thread although I'm sure some of the members like to look at seasonal pics...

Thawing out now and hoping for upgrades on the 12zs....

( yes that was a really rubbish attempt at posting something on topic,sorry mods)!

I will shut up now...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

This was me on Friday last week with further 15cm fell Yesterday on High Ground I will be visiting again on Saturday.Below 500m no Snow hovewer.Would do with ECMWF going forward rather then flat and WB -NAO gfs6z

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1