Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - another cold spell on the horizon?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

ICON 180...

iconnh-0-180.thumb.png.ba6db3b44bc0e196237a8dbeac7df8a5.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

It's frustrating to see the first attempt limited by the Azores / Iberian high. 

Are you sure you are not looking at the 18z?

GFS 00z is not as you describe Kasim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

It seems pretty inconsistent run to run to me, like a broken watch it will be right some of the time as a happy accident.

UKMO and GFS aren't so far apart

Are you looking at the right charts?

gfsnh-0-222.png

Would be more confident in the North Easterly if the initial amplification were to be cleaner though, anything over 200 hours is really just for fun at the moment. 

Just now, Mucka said:

Are you sure you are not looking at the 18z?

GFS 00z is not as you describe Kasim.

No, it is, in the more reliable time frame which we're monitoring (144-200h) it fails the initial retrogression, keeps too much HP over Iberia which prevents both amplification and a cold wedge forming over the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

Would be more confident in the North Easterly if the initial amplification were to be cleaner though, anything over 200 hours is really just for fun at the moment. 

True but GFS is game over for the Atlantic by 168.

As previously posted, so long as we get the amplification the Scandi trough will do the rest.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mucka said:

True but GFS is game over for the Atlantic by 168.

As previously posted, so long as we get the amplification the Scandi trough will do the rest.

I don't buy the amplification as a guarantee the flow will be optimal in the UK post 168h. For this a cleaner amplification is needed, shortwaves in the wrong position will prevent enough HP being sent north west, and keep a milder air mass influence. The GFSP is an example of this too. Again, please don't presume I am disregarding a cleaner amplification & potential further route to prolonged cold, these are still on the table given an initial awful attempt at Iberian high retrogression. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

No, it is, in the more reliable time frame which we're monitoring (144-200h) it fails the initial retrogression, keeps too much HP over Iberia which prevents both amplification and a cold wedge forming over the UK. 

I'm not sure what you mean.

As far as I would understand retrogression would be for high pressure to move NW, like a classic Scandi high retrogressing to Greenland, and we have never been looking at that scenario.

It has always been Atlantic ridge and deep trough moving S/SW into Scandi bringing NE floa and it was always programmed for around alst 1/3 Jan.

Obviously we are seeing very different things.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Just now, Mucka said:

I'm not sure what you mean.

As far as I would understand retrogression would be for high pressure to move NW, like a classic Scandi high retrogressing to Greenland, and we have never been looking at that scenario.

It has always been Atlantic ridge and deep trough moving S/SW into Scandi bringing NE and it was always programmed for around alst 1/3 Jan.

Obviously we are seeing very different things.

If you run all output at present from 0h to 160h you will see the high moving from east (Europe & Iberia) towards southern Greenland. This is retrogression. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I don't buy the amplification as a guarantee the flow will be optimal in the UK post 168h. For this a cleaner amplification is needed, shortwaves in the wrong position will prevent enough HP being sent north west, and keep a milder air mass influence. The GFSP is an example of this too. Again, please don't presume I am disregarding a cleaner amplification & potential further route to prolonged cold, these are still on the table given an initial awful attempt at Iberian high retrogression. 

Ah I see you mean Iberian high displaced . You are just using terminology I would usually reserve for another scenario so that clears things up some.

The way I see it the trough digging SW is going to do that job for us just so long as it is given time to with enough blocking in the Atlantic.

It was always going to be a bomb from 168/192 for that reason IMO

gfsnh-0-174.pnggfsnh-0-282.png

Of course we are not there yet but so long as we get the upstream amplification and that low is cut off then all the other rubbish should just move E and phase with the trough.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mucka said:

Ah I see you mean Iberian high displaced . You are just using terminology I would usually reserve for another scenario so that clears things up some.

Yeah, it depends as what you would class to be the main process here. I would class it as both retrogression & amplification. The key variable here is how much of the Iberian high is transferred north west, up to Greenland. If it retains a more significant latitude like on the GFSP 00Z, this may produce a greater risk of snow events as the jet is displaced further north within a cold flow. Further south and it's more of a showery NE feed. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.cf92c0eff726f5d7b89d5e07a718a98a.png

Kaboooooom.

I second that...☺️

gfs-0-282.thumb.png.95a55ff12fb38356fd165f5234d36015.pnggfs-1-282.thumb.png.ef9cacb2e4877d62ee08b091cb44f5cb.png

• Like 7

Posted

Unbelievably cold if this came off, possibly historic. Let’s see how cold this gets but at day 12 we have -12c uppers clearing the West coast 

13D5EC2E-CDD3-4DD8-A6DB-AC7E05AC9A6E.png

253833B3-1A1A-4DF0-BE8D-83300911E3FF.png

• Like 7

Posted

Wow! Look at that greeny high on gfs para. Cold air surging into the UK aswell.

little to west based but a lot better than its previous runs. 

gfsnh-0-246 (14).png

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Kasim greenie heights arent being modelled any later its same time frame as yesterday haha

Unbelievable morning for upgrades.

Steve will be happy to see his cut off high back in the game across the board!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Look north,....

gfsnh-0-318.thumb.png.5c0116cc40206b4fe8468f2ca86b9315.pnggfsnh-1-318.thumb.png.faed2ac5fd24e78eacce4ff68446a8dc.png

• Like 9

Posted

This is just getting silly now, all pretty much in FI these boom charts but it’s probably as severe a cold spell as you’d ever see and about to be topped up from the North.

I’m not sure something so severe would help the emergency services with COVID if it did come off !!

84C34F49-5906-4696-B752-3FBB6F579C1E.png

63BAD5CD-1A44-4FAB-9510-64438F8C4DF9.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barmada_Casten said:

Chances are very, very high sadly. At least 95%.

Not really - good chance the Azores high will be phased out over time with this pattern, even if initially it is somewhat of a limiting factor as @Mucka pointed out.

As @Scott Ingham pointed out, the model bias favours the GFS in the Greenland amplification department, so I'm fairly confident that the ECM at half 6 will make a move towards increase easterly vectors around D4-7. In theory this will increase efficiency of the retrogression, amplification. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1