Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - another cold spell on the horizon?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Hold on are we about to be rescued with a further wedge of heights into greenland....

I thought I was looking at different charts to others then haha. Admittedly the ridge probably isnt going to be as robust as the 12z. Maybe a tiny step to ECM?

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS and GFS // very different at T120:

0A35FBAE-3418-46D2-86A7-3AE5064D5D64.thumb.png.3ff1ea4fd11b11fa97e2013106436a8f.png159002A2-A2FF-493A-A326-AB05BE77559A.thumb.png.2b58c3a4902204a95865443bc9469695.png

Keep your eye on the //, something about the arctic high, heights near Greenland before the ridge and what’s coming out of USA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

GFS and GFS // very different at T120:

0A35FBAE-3418-46D2-86A7-3AE5064D5D64.thumb.png.3ff1ea4fd11b11fa97e2013106436a8f.png159002A2-A2FF-493A-A326-AB05BE77559A.thumb.png.2b58c3a4902204a95865443bc9469695.png

Keep your eye on the //, something about the arctic high, heights near Greenland before the ridge and what’s coming out of USA.

And at 132

gfsnh-0-132 (1).png

gfsnh-0-132.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Johnp said:

I predict a stonking easterly in FI on GFS...

Funnily enough I was just thinking the same thing. I prefer this run tbh. It looks less dramatic but looks can be deceiving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Incidentally the para brought snow as the cold undercut the front later in the week 

Yes ?? 

619BA301-139B-42B1-AEAA-5870FC11BE7D.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

We would much rather people use the ignore facility than negatively respond to posts they don't like, for sure. 

But I will add, we have absolutely no plans to put an age limit on this or any threads on this site. I joined this site when I was 15, posting on here helped nurture my interest in meteorology. That then lead to a degree in meteorology, and now I'm employed as a meteorologist and have been for the last 6 years. There will be numerous other young people on this forum who could potentially follow that path, and posting on here will continue to nurture that interest.

So, yes, please use the ignore facility. But we have a wealth of knowledge and posts from all ages on this forum. Anyway, let's get back to discussing model output and put this evening's drama behind us, and thank you to all who reported posts - that's the way to deal with issues.

Apologies to anyone offended by my earlier post! It was perhaps badly worded and did not mean to offend anyone!!! This forum would be nothing without everyone and as I said earlier now more than ever we need to stick together.

As for the upcoming cold spell..... well.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

Gfs p looking pretty yucky at 144 hours!!!and looks way different to the previous run again!!!!how many times!!!

What's weird is I can't ever remember the GFS and the para runs ever being similar. There always seems to be a massive divergence. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS 12Z is a useful *ridge*

Screenshot_20210110-222011.thumb.png.9f63293d14554af9ae7fe1cdf42adb25.png

but not a patch on the 12Z at the same time for probable longevity of a Nly flow

Screenshot_20210110-222018.thumb.png.b8175c51da08212b29ec9b51072af257.png

Considering the flip-flopping, my best advice is ... wait. 

I think a 2-3 day northerly is a reasonable middle ground forecast based on charts atm. However, we're not close enough *based upon NWP* to say if it will be better than this or worse than this (from a coldies perspective). Certainly no forecast from me tonight. Especially considering D3 isn't sorted yet!

• Like 1

Posted

The ridge toppling into Scandi wouldn’t be a bad middle ground . So all is not lost if we see that type of halfway house .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

image.thumb.png.08733fbfa7f5fd5508380cb3c0c7e6a1.png

??‍♂️

What an absolute mess. The older GFS op is little better in that regard. Honestly I wouldn’t be going further than the front towards the end of this coming week and the transient high to our north east. Beyond that there seems to be multiple shallow features upstream trying to interact with a more substantial trough developing towards the Eastern seaboard.

I will maintain my concerns about the ECM and its Scrooge like output where it seems to want to build westerly momentum (not just Greenland high(gate)). The end of the week does look colder again after a short period of around average temperatures (risk of snow under that front before it dies out).

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Para has a look of a run that is meandering around day 6 upstream.  Unconvincing although with a weak zonal flow it could happen - makes a verifying run unlikely ....

Couldn't tell you what's likely it follow... 

gfsnh-0-156.png