Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Ecm looks ok

ECH1-120 (1).gif

Looks very good, very different from UKMO at just 120! 

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, KTtom said:

Looms very good, very different from UKMO at just 120! 

Written in haste, I meant cleared for take off as opposed to crashed into the terminal.... 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MKN said:

That would be a close but no cigar for leicester i think. But its getting closer. Another shift west i think would be good for a lot more of us. 

Yes, at the moment it’s probably Peterborough up to Aberdeen that’s in the sweet spot with North York moors in for another pasting. I wouldn’t rule out another jot south and west tomorrow though...it could also go north & east again of course ??‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted

Ironically it’s the more amplified little ridge to the west at T96 hrs that you don’t want to see re the UKMO . As that then will hold the trouble some low on the tip of Greenland further west .

And the more amplified that ridge is the more likely you’ll end up a real struggle to get the pattern sufficiently east , equally ironic the more amplified that is the better chance of a snow event on Saturday as that will disrupt a shortwave se with a better se undercut.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 8

Posted

Shouldn't these forecasted precipitation maps be taken with a pinch of salt after last fridays debacle? 

Every single one was way off the mark, the snow band over north and west yorkshire never really left that area even though forecast to head south west through NW england into SW england and lasted hours longer than forecast!

Some places like harrogate and north west suburbs leeds ended up with 6"+ albeit above 500ft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Ironically it’s the more amplified little ridge to the west at T96 hrs that you don’t want to see re the UKMO . As that then will hold the trouble some low on the tip of Greenland further west .

And the more amplified that is the more likely you’ll end up a real struggle to get the pattern sufficiently east , equally ironic the more amplified that is the better chance of a snow event on Saturday as that will disrupt a shortwave se with a better se undercut.

can't win 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Every single one was way off the mark

The UKV kept that front up there until it fizzled out. I can't vouch for other models, but the UKV did very well.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting adjustments to earlier ECM 00z low further SW like other more intriguing models cold air can wrap round quicker as it exits SE.

079C2A5C-8E6A-4984-A698-08D56C8E4888.thumb.png.0662250a5e01224c396d014568096959.png83535D9C-D45C-444B-B49D-3E5E332C42B5.thumb.png.63bac7870157b129cc30318c1c45adae.png

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, BARRY said:

can't win 

Welcome to UK winters ! It really is like pulling teeth sometimes to get drama free routes to cold and snow .  When I decided on my French adventure I made sure it had mountains close by . I really feel for UK coldies , it really is frustrating .

• Like 4

Posted

A much less organised LP and the Atlantic should be shut out from there, whether we get the cold spell we all crave we’d be very unfortunate to get to this at 144 and not end up somewhere half decent down the line... albeit the U.K. seems to find a way to avoid the cold in winter, let’s hope not this time.

960B8FEB-BB44-476B-A576-33A23D687ABA.gif

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Wind at 10hpa went Easterly at 06:00 this morning ( -0.7m/s )....might give a shade more momentum to the block retrogression out East ?   

image.thumb.png.420eebcf84ec5fb979d14e07b33e1dc8.png

image.png

Edited by Shunter
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

T144 12z

image.thumb.gif.12cf65487cb021833980c35b7495fbda.gif

shouldn't become this

t168 0z

image.thumb.gif.3771d4c5923112267bf074cd21c5079c.gif

It looks a cleaner move on the 12z

Edit...it doesn’t , the low further east, better shaped block, and the trough to SW zipping east into the channel

image.thumb.gif.b97c7601c63910c892fdef8494302e02.gif

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T168, clean ridge, really strong, the question is can the cold air get far enough south to the UK on this one?  Other models have struggled this afternoon, let’s see...

F6B969DE-BB6B-43CD-9AA9-E6BD78C89A36.thumb.png.cca23e04970b44e7ebc5e26a2f25bfa1.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

ECM 168, best of the night!

ECM1-168.gif

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 2