Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Arp is different though tim   further west   and south

image.thumb.png.a07bac49e84c6bf6d9ce0ffb93a9535d.png

I think those always look more dramatic as it shows fallen sleet / snow, it’s not accumulated / measurable snow fall. I wouldn’t expect much accumulation south of north Lincs.  My French isn’t that great (perhaps Nick can help?) but it says something like ‘Attention this is not the snow on the ground but total falling’ 

Posted

The para is not going to phase, either.

The UKmo is ever so slightly better than it's 00z run.

If you look on wetter Europe view it's easier to see at 120 that they come close but don't phase

I'd expect the Ukmo to adjust more to ECM and GFS by tomorrow

gfsnh-0-132 (5).png

UKMOPEU12_120_1 (2).png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

image.thumb.png.660e168928a8622b92dd8519969b9194.png

UKMO sure made a lot of that little low running across the south on Sunday.

Whole progression is slower, more amplified. Quite unusual from a model that's usually among the fastest to move lows around in the 5-6 day range.

The +144 chart reminds me of those times in summer when we see a short heatwave followed by a dramatic capitulation as a ridge to the west takes over.

Not sure about how vigorous it makes that low, though - seems a little OTT?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Nice 1040mb greenland  high blocking the Atlantic. Primed low moving east to allow winds to become N/NE. How cold will this run get. I'm quite happy to be fair. 

Screenshot_20210112-161446.png

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, MJB said:

Why  do you say that Joe 

Because this mornings output rang alarm bells with the spoiler low and Iberian heights and that run hasn't backed away from it ... 

• Like 1

Posted

We are struggling to bring cold air south for the first northerly .... I assume the meandering weak zonal pattern responsible - nothing to drive the cold uppers south. 

so any initial runners into the trough will likely be wet 

this assumes we get 

a) a trough

b) a runner 

• Like 4

Posted

Saturday night is similar to Thursday with a. Marginal snow situation, some models have it and some don’t. GFSp is really going for it ..

329FB3D5-B932-4392-840B-C8DC4310E99B.png

B2773A1E-2CF2-4438-B341-1986E57170F4.png

• Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Sorry mate but that's setting people up for more disappointment. It looks highly marginal to me.

Tbf it’s a forum not a formal met office forecast ! A little licence and excitement is allowed especially with such interesting model watching 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Digging deeper around the day 4/5 mark, major disagreements in terms of a front moving through the U.K.

There is the risk of another area of snow on this front, the GFS (p) most positive about this. The UKMO as a similar set up of trough disruption but with a more significant area of low pressure. The GFS (op) pushes through quicker and mostly of rain.

Beyond this, the output looks very messy. The GFS with the cleanest evolution of the Greenland high.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
8 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I think those always look more dramatic as it shows fallen sleet / snow, it’s not accumulated / measurable snow fall. I wouldn’t expect much accumulation south of north Lincs.  My French isn’t that great (perhaps Nick can help?) but it says something like ‘Attention this is not the snow on the ground but total falling’ 

Correct I'm half Mauritian French mon deuxieme langue it does indeed say that I have my uses

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Basically that chart shows what would happen if all the snow falling accumulated but it doesn’t take into account any melting or difficulty laying . 

Still it’s encouraging regardless , hopefully this gets upgraded .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

GFS +192h takes the Greenland High and therefore the cold West, mainly to the Atlantic, as per previous concerns.

The development of the Arctic High, near Svalbard is encouraging though. Fits in with some clusters on EPS, bringer deeper cold, but later.

GFS-192 12jan12.png

GFS850-192 12jan12.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, phil nw. said:

Looks ok with GFS and UKMO showing the initial retrogression of the ridging towards Greenland now at day 6 ie.18th.This date has been on modeling for a number of runs now.

It will be few days before the mists clear on how cold the uppers will be.The main thing is the 2 features ie Scandi.trough and G.heights are being developed pretty much consistently  now and within the expected time scale.

Remember when these features were first shown 10 days and beyond -the trend to cold is still good.Details for later.

Latest charts underwhelming  and a step backwards.  I think we’ll get there, but need to see timescale reducing.  This 10 day stuff will take us to spring time if this carries on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phil nw. said:

If you read my post i commented how the changes to the 500 pattern have been counting down to within 10 days now.The switch to cold will develop from there but a step backwards it ain't.

The forecast of "cold" is still very much a likelihood, it's the magnitude of cold during day 6 to day 8 which has been steadily downgrading recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Comparing the 6z to the the 12 z gfs there is a downgrade without doubt. Low heading under the block to phase with the UK low. One run but can't ignore it

• Thanks 1

Posted

Now what is interesting is the high is getting a positive tilt and is heading west, could get a very cold easterly out of this.

SSW always for me = Easterly.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, swfc said:

Comparing the 6z to the the 12 z gfs there is a downgrade without doubt. Low heading under the block to phase with the UK low. One run but can't ignore it

I would advise you not to look at the PARA GFS then swfc.

• Like 1