Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
51 minutes ago, sub zero said:

I really don't see a prolonged very cold spell from the chats atm, yes I see a snowy spell with maybe some severe temperatures at times lasting a week maybe 10 days from these charts, which in itself is amazing to see and has me glued to this forum and meteociel..

But the only chance we get of seriously cold uppers, is from channel lows passing under the block and giving us a brief easterly, the rest of the time the general wind direction is a northerly , which will be cold enough for snow but not severe, as too long a sea track...

It seems there is only one outcome (as far as I can see) as the cold pool makes its way towards us then floods into the Atlantic, ruining the amega block by cutting off the waa into Greenland and giving us a west based NAO..

I don't see how we can get long sustained cold unless we can get heights over Iceland or scandy giving us more of an easterly feed...

Are there many times when the trough stays out to the east (with no heights to the north or east) staying put and delivering  cold for the uk for long periods, or do we need to see height rises to the north/east...?

an unusual set up and intriguing to say the least..

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put a dampner on things , I just want to put things in perspective..

I'm a coldie through and through .. honest...!

The thing about snow cover is that we can generate our own cold. With any wind between NW and SE the 850s become far less important with snow cover in place. Certainly if you want severe surface cold.

• Like 6

Posted

All seems very bullish on here today.

The phasing or not of the two lows seemed extremely tight and led to very different medium term outcomes i.e. UKMO vs ECM/GFS.

It really seemed razor tight whether they phased or not.  I'd like to see a little more separation on the 12Z runs to be confident.

Additionally, as usual, there's been a lot of cognitive dissonance, in dumping runs that don't show the preferred outcome.  Of course this is a human nature, resulting from conformation bias.  We all seek information that confirms our desired result and have a bias to ignore information that doesn't.  I'd feel more confident if it was the same model being dumped in each run but it's not, each model seems to have moments as a hero and villain at the moment.

So I'd advise a little caution moving forward until we see some intra run and cross model agreement on a more consistent basis.

Fingers crossed - I'd love some snow as much as anyone.

Edited by Trom
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, winterof79 said:

Yes the "Pumpathon" over the Pacific has to be balanced out by the atmosphere hence very shortly there will be a "Dumpathon" over our side. 

The Pumpathon was a damp squid for me last night. Alas, too many interruptions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for fun of course, but normal for these days, lows track too far south, South of M4 for snow, unlike 90's where north of M4 for snaw

Too far south for you.  IMBYism 101

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Not sure who indicative Preston is for many other areas though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Astonishing.

EribFkhXAAIRYDZ.jfif 391.38 kB · 26 downloads

Not sure I want to risk downloading that! You are not going to ask me for Bitcoin?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
2 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Not sure I want to risk downloading that! You are not going to ask me for Bitcoin?

sorry, try now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Icon still gets nail bitingly close to phasing, but look at the difference between the 12z v 00z

iconnh-0-132.png

iconnh-0-144 (4).png

Thats some huge difference there, the greenland highs cut off too so no sinker but really don't think that's an issue this time round lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
8 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Not sure who indicative Preston is for many other areas though 

image.thumb.png.c2318b401ff4bc0f97d978360909a162.png

Preston's about halfway up the UK so reasonable for a broad idea.

Here's London for a view down south. Still a good stretch of subzero mean, plenty of scatter but that's to be expected at this range.

You can browse other locations via: 

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Forecasted 2m Dewpoint from GFS, 06Z

• Like 2

Posted

Atlantic dead and buried on the ICON, but the large difference inter run and how dangerously close it came to phasing them lows mean caution is once again, word of the day. 

EAD2AD94-D409-47C4-ABF0-27C136CA4FBB.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Well boys and girls I have reached the point where I am happy to sit back and let this play out and its not often I have said that. Yes there will be ups and downs for many depending on locations but attacks from the North/East and South will happen. Enjoy the ride they don't come along every year. 

Here's the beginning 

Screenshot_20210112_152106.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Atlantic dead and buried on the ICON, but the large difference inter run and how dangerously close it came to phasing them lows mean caution is once again, word of the day. 

EAD2AD94-D409-47C4-ABF0-27C136CA4FBB.png

Is it more likely we will get a north to north east at times rather than an east this potential cold spell?  Thanks.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Astonishing

EribFkhXAAIRYDZ.jpg

Certainly ties in well with the idea of a strong Greenland high. Abnormal warmth going to into NE USA, eastern Canada and Greenland, cold over much of Europe....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

image.thumb.png.4676afd1be27445e85f2da7b5fb34eaa.png

Interesting point raised by this run - we don't necessarily need the cut-off low to hold position for very long, through 18th might be sufficient if the low heading toward the UK moves fast enough.

image.thumb.png.8940a031e7803073edb5c3de928d0e2c.png

It also drops an hint of that most infamous type of complication; cold air spilling west of the UK and seeding development of a secondary low.

This is perhaps a higher risk of the cut-off low makes a move sooner rather than later, as it slows then stalls the trough earlier.

So, it seems we should hope for it to stay put at least a day longer, through 19th.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

image.thumb.png.4676afd1be27445e85f2da7b5fb34eaa.png

Interesting point raised by this run - we don't necessarily need the cut-off low to hold position for very long, through 18th might be sufficient if the low heading toward the UK moves fast enough.

image.thumb.png.8940a031e7803073edb5c3de928d0e2c.png

Certainly a lot cleaner without those low phasing. Lets see what UKMO does with the phasing.

Posted
1 hour ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

The midlands are slowly but surely becoming a threat to see snow, the latest met video has it snowing in Cambridge Thurs, another 50 miles west and the central spine will be having snow fall 

Indeed

image.thumb.png.04ff823193a3f1bbe7388c3c586d709d.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Certainly a lot cleaner without those low phasing. Lets see what UKMO does with the phasing.

The lows eventually phase though which expands the low and pushes the colder sector further west. A frustrating scenario under the ICON we would be under a cold unstable low with marginal snow events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
22 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Astonishing

EribFkhXAAIRYDZ.jpg

Yes, makes a change from recent years where those charts have shown practically the whole world red, one for @BLAST FROM THE PAST

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Astonishing

EribFkhXAAIRYDZ.jpg

Good stuff, so long as the eastern seaboard of the US and Canada remain warmer, we're in with a good shot. 

• Like 5