Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

ECM at 216 looks OK with no interference from the Atlantic...the 240 chart will be better.

ECH1-216.thumb.gif.07f17c9d2e6e0182ca5b6714563f0173.gifECH0-216.thumb.gif.96e01f9a9185600a1c68389c92b13256.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, AFCBSNOW said:

How many times does it have to be said in here?? Get the pattern first, then the cold will come, some people really need to take a couple of days off I think.  You would thrown every member of your family under the bus for half of these synoptics over the last 10 years!!

I think that is the issue, great Synoptics but indifferent uppers for the south at least it’s currently mutton dressed as lamb..and we coldies are demanding :) -4s at the face of it need more work.. although I will concede I have no idea on how such a slack pattern at 192 and 216 will delivery at the surface..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The point is the key part of this evolution starts at day 5/6 once you get past that; it’s cold in some way or another, too many looking at micro differences rather than the pattern in general Imo

Agree to a certain extent but there is a definite trend to a west based negative NAO pulling all the colder uppers into the Atlantic. Not only that the frigid air over Scandi is less prevalent on this run, all in all I am a little disappointed however this is only one op run and could show something totally different tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Fear not gang , cold arrived bang on time - 20th , with scattered snow showers ~ whilst we await something more substantial from the south west...

97BB72CA-DBD1-4A05-A911-3DF6ADC4E338.jpeg

1E719091-480C-40C6-99C7-CA39358E716D.jpeg

F6CC06D7-79B5-444A-9249-2DC1B7D0CD6A.jpeg

Thanks for the UK map. I wonder what people living north of the UK are getting regards weather.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The point is the key part of this evolution starts at day 5/6 once you get past that; it’s cold in some way or another, too many looking at micro differences rather than the pattern in general Imo

At day 6 it is (my point of view) already clear we can't get any significant Arctic air. The Greenlandhigh is not powerful enough and to much to the west.

The problem is, this is alreay on day 6. So little room to improve.

ECMOPEU12_144_2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
3 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Putting the uppers to one side for a moment, it’s great to see that the ECM is still establishing a HLB over Greenland. Our issue before was that the mid Atlantic ridge collapsed before any notable uppers turned up. If a decent HLB sets up then eventually we should get there with the uppers. Just my thoughts anyway.?‍♂️ 

8F3FB6C6-6C8F-49FC-9448-C3D6A0D2E992.png

100%, just get that high set up and the pattern is set. Worry about the rest later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Essentially to get proper deep cold in the  south, we usually require the winds to be curved around an area of high pressure (such as a scandy high) so that the winds have as little sea track as possible. 

These deep low pressures that move across us and take an age to fill just waste time down here. 

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

I think that is the issue, great Synoptics but indifferent uppers for the south at least it’s currently mutton dressed as lamb..and we coldies are demanding -4s at the face of it need more work.. although I will concede I have no idea on how such a slack pattern at 192 and 216 will delivery at the surface..

In the current set up, even for us on the South coast, the uppers will largely be irrespective, due to where it is coming from, we pulled from a warm plume last shot, this one is much stronger.  We will see upgrades, just if we go on the previous spell.  I just dont see the point in micro analysing every single chart.  The trend is your friend.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Another set of interesting GEFS temp ens... Looks like a story of two clusters, to me; one mild and one cold, with the op floating around between the two? Nothing nailed!

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

And the NHPs... I guess they're still slowly coming round:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Every model goes for that bloody continuous troughing through the Norwegian Sea northwards, if that wasn't there we'd no doubt see colder uppers. I just wish it would collapse southwards. A better run by the ECM but not sure how much confidence in the latter stages 216-240z.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Essentially to get proper deep cold in the  south, we usually require the winds to be curved around an area of high pressure (such as a scandy high) so that the winds have as little sea track as possible. 

These deep low pressures that move across us and take an age to fill just waste time down here. 

But from such a set up we don’t always need deep cold, even down here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, Notty said:

Not too shabby:

image.thumb.png.2fac05bca154de9c48f79f0e4c46056f.png

Posted the wrong chart -

image.thumb.png.cc79a39cefed58167139e01852bbef90.png

• Like 4