Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted

This is where GFS drives me mad. 
I think in reality the trough would disrupt but GFS instead steers it northwards, ruining the whole pattern     
spacer.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

image.thumb.png.83e055ad48da905a33ad855da137d736.pngimage.thumb.png.27d58b87ccbe6ff89584bcddf6953bd6.png 

Well, the GFS(P) offers something colder for days 8-10. Possible if the low south of Greenland is held back more. Akin to the ECM 00z in that respect but with the low taking longer to deepen. Funnily enough that ECM run was the best for keeping the Iberian heights down - might have looked pretty good had the low not bombed out.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, IDO said:

That is the gfsP and low-res so good luck with that landing? 

Here’s the Aperge and Euro4 .

UKV also showing widespread snow on sat even for some southern parts..scroll back a few goes 

57106579-88D6-4709-805A-F37CB127314D.png

40F35FD4-00ED-4E85-B06F-E8A411206FF6.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's something we ain't seen for a while -- and hopefully won't be seeing for a good while longer:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tomorrow could be wintry for some according too the Gfs 6z operational?...never mind looking for snow next week and beyond..there’s some right under our noses !

C1A94F59-DA5F-4E39-9F3D-10578F3A6A9F.thumb.png.ce4cc38126ded52ee4bd38779536ef53.pngBA32421B-C17C-40B9-8EFF-D5DE0008C938.thumb.png.77b6e9314e8b17669c16c4f25bdab00f.pngAE62D0AB-97D9-492D-9DD4-C090C9FD4A31.thumb.png.7659bebbd68eebac2d2886faf49c1554.png5576AEB6-AE40-40FB-9145-4F1B8FA0BD6A.thumb.png.92342abc3fb4108002bc1ca875959cc3.png

ACFF3FF0-A9BA-48C0-A18B-2775F4FD5467.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

P19 keeps the milder air at bay on Saturday, a few colder runs early on.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
5 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

Think it’s perfectly feasible though that as we get closer we see the pattern edge further south, and systems slightly weaker. This then brings snow more into play for parts of the U.K. next week (North always favoured). The models may have overreacted to the new signal they’ve picked up on.

Yes, I agree, with snow, sometimes it is nowcasting, so do not rule it out, but these charts can be misleading if taken literally.

1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Here’s the Aperge and Euro4 .

UKV also showing widespread snow on sat even for some southern parts..scroll back a few goes 

57106579-88D6-4709-805A-F37CB127314D.png

40F35FD4-00ED-4E85-B06F-E8A411206FF6.jpeg

I will believe it when I see it. The hi-res GFS snow depth does not really activate in the south until d10 and that will not last long on the 06z:

anim_iwq6.gif

gfseu-1-300.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Here's something we ain't seen for a while -- and hopefully won't be seeing for a good while longer:

When the GFS loses the plot it really loses the plot.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, That ECM said:

C98F5FEF-7001-4807-B4BA-887FE09E760C.png

It's lost, very unsure of more or less everywhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if all models where so unsure at the moment.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
16 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

better than the 00, but safe to say trends are to push the cold air back, now looks like late next week, rather than Tue/Wed

prectypeuktopo.png

From an imby perspective I am banking that and running lol. Midlands hit real bad there. But the models can't even agree on the Snow risk for tomorrow let alone over a week away. Chocolate fireguard comes to mind but still nice to see after the dagger to the heart for coldies this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I think with GFSp we can ignore anything past around this point (We can ignore anything past 72h in reality but you get my drift)

gfsnh-0-222.png?6

If the low must phase then GFSp shows the way we can salvage some cold by not having the low blow up and just phase with the base of the trough.

If we can get somewhere around here we could still get some sustained deep cold and low disrupting to the S bringing plenty of snow where the airmasses meet - hopefully keeping us on the cold side.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

It's lost, very unsure of more or less everywhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if all models where so unsure at the moment.

Even the GFS and GFS(P) are completely different.

I just wish I could stop looking at the longer range. Can I get help on the NHS for this addiction?

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

When the GFS loses the plot it really loses the plot.

Has it though? The evolution of a push of strong heights to our south is fairly typical of a west based -NAO. Its the classic of a warm push from the south to end a cold spell except this time we don't even get the cold spell.

I suspect what we saw last night was the extreme cold end of the range of possibilities, this morning we are seeing the extreme mild end (maybe?). 

Its not a done deal yet though as we are still talking about 8/9/10 days away as always. The trend is not our friend this morning though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Apologies to Paul and others for posting a chart with no words and just emoji and thanks to mountain for clarifying.

I agree, look at this lot at T192. Although the mean is better than previous run. Just going to have to watch it unfold.

FADCDC06-F030-4CDE-921D-CD4FD4C4EFF9.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the gefs and at d8 the op looks one of the worst case scenarios:

gens_panel_fha8.png graphe3_00000_308_155___.thumb.png.b68ba52ce37f1b12f37efe479f13140d.png

Though I am not going to spin it, the members show little inclination for snow in the south up to d8^^^

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, IDO said:

Yes, I agree, with snow, sometimes it is nowcasting, so do not rule it out, but these charts can be misleading if taken literally.

I will believe it when I see it. The hi-res GFS snow depth does not really activate in the south until d10 and that will not last long on the 06z:

anim_iwq6.gif

gfseu-1-300.png

Hmm. I’m not sure the GFS ‘high res’ will trump the Aperge, Euro4 and UKV etc. Time will tell...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I look at these T384 charts and (once I've stopped ROFLing) wonder what sort of weather would we might now be having, were it not for the SSW -- if the tPV was between Greenland and Alaska-Canada:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Arome and arpege really going for it with Thursdays snow, some areas may get an orange warning for this, Harmonie not as enthusiastic however.

harmonieeur40-45-41-3.png

aromehd-45-36-0.png

Screenshot_20210113-101622.png

Hmmm there is an amber warning out now for the north, but no adjustments further south of the yellow warning