Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

We have gone from a Greenland high to a 945 low

B127E758-BBAF-430E-B101-BE3C2D613CBF.png

This is what the GFS appears to do when it can't see a clear outcome. It is like a child eating up their sweets and then realising they have no more. Do they ask for more or accept they have eat enough - don't know how to handle this so will try and destroy something.

I expect even if these lows appear in reality, they will be much less pronounced

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Hmmm there is an amber warning out now for the north, but no adjustments further south of the yellow warning

I can only see this being a north/north east affair with a bit of altitude. Looking at the dew points/wet bulbs etc, low levels will be rain with some sleet mixed in. Even if it does turn to snow, I doubt it would stick at low altitude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, snowking said:

as @Nick F suggested earlier, probably best not to concern yourself with too much more than +144 for now.

Points of the morning,

Their is no definitive clear trend beyond d6 which takes us to the 19th, Now forgive me if i am incorrect but wasn’t the implications post the ssw to be felt after the 20th possibly a few days further? Add to this we have also seen a further warming which effects could be felt towards late January. All leads me to feel that we are in with a very decent chance however those dice has not stopped rolling on the table. 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Yesterday, we were confident a cold spell would start the middle of next week. 

The problem is, as ever, when we start kicking the can down the road until tomorrow, tomorrow never arrives.

Indeed, it is disappointing to have lost that Atlantic push into Greenland for a faster route to cold, but more opportunities are on the table. Volitilaty is still high. It will be extremely frustrating if we don't get a least one cold spell over the next 6 weeks

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yesterday, we were confident a cold spell would start the middle of next week. 

The problem is, as ever, when we start kicking the can down the road until tomorrow, tomorrow never arrives.

Sounds like a James Bond film parody where 007 goes undercover as a meteorologist!

I'm curious as to what happens with the dip in 850s after 20th in the short ensembles. Most likely a 20c scatter but hopefully the mean continues on a downward trend!

graphe3_00000_276_67___.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Its not good for me, but Saturday looks like transient Snow for Brecon Beacons, then as it moves East  snow likely to lower levels from around line (Beige). Welsh Marches to West Midlands. This will only settle on some hills. Further East again (Orange line) Approx East of Northampton to Brighton, Snow is likely to fall and in lower elevations settling is possible. Ignore precipitation amounts, map just utilised to show where snow on Saturday is more likely.

21011609_1200.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Huge 20c scatter by the end of the ensembles ...more runs needed ??‍♂️

194072C9-D4CA-4FA9-8504-61621D7DAC93.jpeg

Huge rainfall spikes on that chart. If we end up on the wrong side of this pattern it will be a real 'rain maker'.

• Like 3

Posted

We shouldn’t really be surprised by the major changes we’re seeing, what with all the volatility in the air! The second warming is well under way so that’s probably causing the issues!

Allowing the run to run changes to affect you is a one way ticket to a nervous breakdown!!

• Like 2

Posted

Have moved some more posts into the chat thread, would be great not to have to though

Please just keep it to discussing the specifics around the model output in here. For everything else:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

Here's something we ain't seen for a while -- and hopefully won't be seeing for a good while longer:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Just when you thought it was safe to go in to winter, a smiling Uncle Barty turns up with a large trunk of luggage  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

6z ens South Yorkshire. Don't discount anything past the 17th.This is not over for coldies yet. 

graphe3_10000_275_27___.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
Just now, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

6z ens South Yorkshire. Don't discount anything past the 17th.This is not over for coldies yet. 

graphe3_10000_275_27___.png

I expect the 12z to be an upgrade on the cold. In my personal opinion. I still think something is lurking. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I’m going to stick my neck out and say there a more juicier cold members in the GEFS 6z compared to the 0z (can’t post them all!)...the cold ebbs and flows and there are a scattering of milder members but i think there continues to be plenty of wintry / wintery potential during the next few weeks...so, I’m not giving up on snowy nirvana visiting our little island in the not too distant future!!

E2755151-5E1E-4643-99D5-A167BD82DC00.thumb.png.1382a6d06e9f9b7d5bd3b7f8b5d234cf.png8015511E-03AD-41FE-8CEA-70774F972798.thumb.png.8a82543a8f0bd1098fe5cf0f54193136.png1885AF56-2FC2-4A22-8D0A-4FA1C36C9FBC.thumb.png.39a547be39745ee8411385de7b722410.pngBB365252-037C-467C-95B2-59568BD84E55.thumb.png.d8155d939ad5fc41ef8140bcf35db1ba.pngC04932A4-1C71-4E43-A6BB-B6246451F6BF.thumb.png.3a82cc6292a99d2df337765b186fd210.pngC04932A4-1C71-4E43-A6BB-B6246451F6BF.thumb.png.3a82cc6292a99d2df337765b186fd210.png671DBD99-7E7F-4440-918E-2620CB214F1F.thumb.png.2ce012c2248dd025ccb16a404665adf5.png44B530FA-2178-476A-BA1D-C68FA0FE2492.thumb.png.609f639bed388a30eec87424194ef073.pngD6B5BB88-CAB9-4A77-BA26-D9AD33E55DA9.thumb.png.b9f07eaf34e591c128dd5a08d4a13d4d.png9C6DFBE3-F824-4D2C-8C50-756669D2F0D6.thumb.png.a4b5765eff7ebaa6463327ce7bd6fc9f.png7A5D605B-661B-4875-A6A0-BB579F69D1D9.thumb.png.b82ca1ede91ef6bd97227b0bbf943311.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

Afternoon all,

Taken we a few hours get my head around what the models have presented us overnight and into this morning. Even though I knew deep down that the models could flip at any any moment, I am still disappointed as a part of me always believes that this time they wont and things will firm up....just hard to fathom out sometimes. But not all is lost there is still a better chance than most winters of seeing something more widespread and significantly white before Feb is out.

SSW has thrown a curve ball the models are really struggling to get to grips with as we know ...much still to be decided. The drama will continue and I wouldn't be surprised to see the models present a different route to cold tonight or even flip back completely to the route we have been seeing...who knows.

...we cant even be sure whats happening tomorrow with the snow tomorrow both GFS models cant even agree totally at 36 hr range....

stay positive all there still a chance!!

GFS  PARA                                                 GFS 

493730151_snowThursdayuk.thumb.png.7a7c52f7d34ac1059e34aa3544d14344.png1211269159_gfs2000.thumb.png.4cc48b485edf27c2c11be94a717801fd.png

gfs-2-30 snow uk.png

gfs-2-30 para 2.png

Edited by goosey007
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just looks like a chilly deluge of mainly rain for many:

image.thumb.png.64abf795b5176e25d5f40aef17562b36.pngimage.thumb.png.8cde44f6df31fe290a78d3c85759c81f.png

I'd be more worried about flooding than anything else at the moment, especially in the West and Northwest.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ninman said:

I can only see this being a north/north east affair with a bit of altitude. Looking at the dew points/wet bulbs etc, low levels will be rain with some sleet mixed in. Even if it does turn to snow, I doubt it would stick at low altitude.

This post is not quite correct, the consensus is for a 1-3 hour spell of heavy wet snow tomorrow down to lower levels across the North Midlands, Northern England producing fairly widespread accumulations of 1-6cm. There will of course be an element of marginality related to the coast, the western extent of the cold air and intensity regarding evaporative cooling. So yes, many places in these areas will be very dissapointed but that doesn't take away from the growing confidence of an area of colder uppers with heavy ppn producing conducive conditions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

What you're saying is possible, but equally so is Ninman's view - it's all on a knife edge. I'm not sure what you're meaning when you say there's a consensus on the snowier outcome, as tbh I'm not seeing that. Some models are more bullish than others, but I'd say that the most likely outcome isn't for widespread lower level snow. 

I don't know if this is applicable in this instance, but a lot of people seem to be taking some of the snow accumulation maps at face value from models such as the Arpege, GFS etc. But the issue with these is that many of these are showing a water equivalent snow accumulation, based solely the precipitation rates and not taking melt or the moisture content of any snow into account.  Typically on those charts the water equivalent snow amount is multiplied by ten to get a depth, but that multiplication is what dry snow would bring. On this occasion in particular, even assuming everything was snow, it's not going to be dry, so immediately, even if all of it settled you could be looking at needing to perhaps halve the values on those maps. But on top of that, you also have to take into account the snow (and maybe other frozen precip types) which fall but don't settle.

I'm not saying lower level snow isn't possible, I'm not even saying that the accumulations you're describing aren't possible, but equally they're not a certainty, and I think the uncertainty around all this is where the true consensus is right now. 

I feel the areas in a long period of +1 hour of 3mm+ precipitation will see these values due to evaporative cooling and areas who miss this will see rain or sleet. I think Kasim does cover that though

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not the most exciting GEFS temp ens... But he, ho they are what they are:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

NH profiles don't look too bad, and should be less unstable than individual GFS runs?

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

And lastly, a 'deep and meaningful' afterthought... Picture the weather as a perfect straight line, reaching from here to eternity; now imagine the models as a pack of blootered zombies trying to follow that line: wouldn't those zombies be just like the models -- weaving, waving, stumbling and tripping their way forward, but never quite getting it right?:drunk-emoji:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1