Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Greenland blocking looks likely and matches up with recent phase 1 of MJO 2CA25FE2-91CC-4452-B8F5-A14FD363BFAF.thumb.png.e32085e912e8279d329973b6561793a5.png217E8358-F5C6-4F9C-B38A-2A374EA6A6C1.thumb.jpeg.7af1becb06db38e284202d33d67862d9.jpeg9F642775-CDE9-4E53-88E1-9A904B496C4B.thumb.gif.db18b3900dff213246224bcf1de6f4cf.gif

• Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, minus10 said:

Yes it does seem that the weather has been a bit more seasonal down here lately. Overall a colder winter and in particular i have noticed the delayed appearance of many of the spring flowers and those that are out staying out for longer in the cooler conditions. As a gardener i do not relish the thought of further frosts at this time of year however the onset of northerlies often mean you have crisp clearner air with good visibility and sunshine between  the showers (Must be particularly noticeable in scotland) . I often remember as a child in 60/70 s experiencing 'wintry' showers in April/May. Almost like chunks of ice falling from the sky!. Anyhow some warm weather to look forward to first hopefully before the onset of the colder air if it arrives. All in all very springlike....

It could well point towards a more thundery summer, with more severe longer lasting storms. After a colder winter, I would guess there's a higher chance of more unstable air masses, with chilly air still lingering and crashing into warmer air. Maybe that's why summer 1982 was so thundery, following the cold winter of 1981/82, and possibly why summers of 1981 and 80 were stormy.

However last summer did see an increase in thundery activity, despite some hit and miss affairs.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It could well point towards a more thundery summer, with more severe longer lasting storms. After a colder winter, I would guess there's a higher chance of more unstable air masses, with chilly air still lingering and crashing into warmer air. Maybe that's why summer 1982 was so thundery, following the cold winter of 1981/82, and possibly why summers of 1981 and 80 were stormy.

However last summer did see an increase in thundery activity, despite some hit and miss affairs.

Has it been a colder winter than average then, when all's said and done?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 hours ago, Timmytour said:

I don't care about Easter, I've got my fingers crossed for it being dry and warm in the gardens of English pubs on 12th April!

I’ve got a table booked for my birthday on the 14th, I’ll take 21 degrees and Sunny.

• Like 1

Posted

I'll wait for the ECM to churn out before commenting on early trends into Easter, but the theme from the models today is a cooling one, with heights set to pull in cold air from arctic source. Following the isobars on GFS the source is deep within the bowls of the arctic which at this time of year is only very slowly warming from it's cold base state in early March, hence why northerlies are so cold at this time of year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Horrid GFS Ops giving some pretty maxes over the Easter weekend, although to be fair we'd be pretty unlucky to get lumbered with something like the Ops runs given its pretty much at the bottom of the pack (albeit a chilly pack) and stay cold for a pretty lengthy period. The first 20C of the year still some way off. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 hour ago, PUTIN said:

Has it been a colder winter than average then, when all's said and done?

Decidedly average would be my opinion.  The period Sept 21st to March 20th (projecting a mean 6.6C for March)  for 202/21 is in the colder half of this century's mean CET's but not far off the middle.

1252966834_SepttoMarch.thumb.jpg.dabddf544354e4c80aeed892164028c4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Even for spring this is quite a chart

image.thumb.png.8e98ff9c29cf8d536b01bbda0460d852.png

Talk about head to head of the airmasses....

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Even for spring this is quite a chart

image.thumb.png.8e98ff9c29cf8d536b01bbda0460d852.png

Talk about head to head of the airmasses....

Surely this will result in some very lively weather across Europe

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
5 minutes ago, Howie said:

Surely this will result in some very lively weather across Europe

I would imagine that if this was to verify a lot of rain would be on the cards along the active front if not some thunderstorms too..

• Like 4

Posted

ECM following suit - cold arctic flow by Good Friday, and possibly sustained throughout easter period. Met office also going for colder easter with wintry showers high ground north and east.. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, gales, snow, thunder and more snow
2 hours ago, Griff said:

What's the French for brrrrrrrrr? 

ECMOPNH12_216_1.png

ECMOPEU12_216_1.png

Il fait froid

about the only french I learnt at school

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

18z GFS is a stonker as well, cold for the time of year definitely.

image.thumb.png.4bea3b55372bff7b43532cec5e2e6a6c.png

image.thumb.png.a0f004e4c0f2cdb776b36dfda427377c.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

heavy snow showers powering south.

image.thumb.png.6a43cd7bfda6c1c3caae7c8dd2958d64.png

image.thumb.png.ba2f11458c70f7582a322554e5792dc8.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 8