Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Everyone...the snow pictures are stunning, thanks for posting them. 

The charts for today look marginal for snow around here but you never know we might get a flake or two, but tomorrow is showing 13 deg/C that is one hell of a temerature swing in 24hrs there's going to be a lot of water released in the melt.

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Plot, Coast, Shoreline, Plant, Rainforest

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Person, Nature, Map

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
26 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

Odd weather this morning - headed out to pick up some stuff with the pickup reading minus 6 at home. By the time I hit the Oyne Fork it started raining quite heavily, still at minus 6!

Having experienced freezing rain before i quickly set the blowers onto the screen at full heat and slowed to a crawl - even then the ice quite quickly spread down the from the top of the window. The 3 or 4 other cars pulled up with the drivers scraping the windscreen suggested they weren't quite as quick with the heater controls. 

A quick look at the radar shows it was quite localised - by Inverurie it was dry and at the top of the tyrebagger hill is was 1 degree. 

Can only assume milder air aloft with cold air trapped beneath in the valleys. Even now, in Aberdeen, there's quite a thick coating of clear ice all over the pickup. 

Shows up nicely on the radar

Could contain: Electronics

• Like 6

Posted
50 minutes ago, drm said:

Shows up nicely on the radar

I've experienced freezing rain myself, but never as extreme as -6.  Well done for getting home.  Wife had planned to go to Dumfries market, but having walked a few yards up the road she's changed her mind, and that's with the temp above freezing.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
21 minutes ago, dryfie said:

I've experienced freezing rain myself, but never as extreme as -6.  Well done for getting home.  Wife had planned to go to Dumfries market, but having walked a few yards up the road she's changed her mind, and that's with the temp above freezing.

I would advise against, not experienced ice like this in a long time. Light Snow at my parents (countryside on outskirts) but rain in the town itself. It also rained about 10pm last night but air temp was -0.5c.

I suspect a few broken bones at A&E today, my friends were out drinking and got home literally shuffling on the ground it was that bad. I had a 10 meter walk from car to flat, was fully sober, 27 and pretty capable physically… was gripping to walls and handrails for dear life.

Lots of road closures.

Further ahead - Looking very mild tomorrow but the problem is wet and windy is always associated down here with that. 

Fingers crossed for a sexy snowy battleground on xmas day 

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 6

Posted

Radar has said snow for the last 2 hours here! Still to see a single flake falling! Would prefer we just skipped it altogether as it's a pleasant enough day so far! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

You couldn't write this 🤣🤯, we got our Christmas food pickup slot booked for 23rd 

animrip8.gif animgri7.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Warmest day for ten days 1.9C after another very hard frost last night. Looking at XCW Santa may need a bigger sleigh…

Could contain: Text, Calendar

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Snow has arrived here but I doubt it will add to the cm of snow cover remaining from Friday. Nice to end an interesting couple of weeks of seasonal and at times notably cold winter weather with some snow. Tomorrow will be a shock to the system with much milder weather which won’t be completely unwelcome as far as heating the house and icy streets are concerned. 

The Christmas period could be interesting though there’s a lot of uncertainty - the set up reminds me a little of last year so I’d remain cautious for now. It does look likely the festive period will be rather seasonal - if not especially snowy - which would be a fitting end to what has been a December with proper winter weather. While it hasn’t been a classic month for snow potentially Scotland could have a monthly mean temperature below 0C which would be very notable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 17/12/2022 at 01:03, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Quite a lot of complex goings on during Sunday

• A possibility of freezing rain early nmmuk-1-33-0.png

If we look at the iso during todays snow it was roughly 528dam which is often one of the key synpotics I look for wintry conditions 

animbbj5.gif

Now the modelled iso when Sundays frontal system comes in nmmuk-17-44-0.png not normally a chart I'd associate with snow 

But... here's the Dewpoints ahead of the precip 

nmmuk-18-41-0.pngnmmuk-18-44-0.png bit better to have at least the leading edge as snow 

I think anywhere with lying snow also has that as a favourable thing as that helps lower the air temperatures 

"bit better to have at least the leading edge as snow" 

It has started as snow at 4.1C + DP -1.5C here bit hard to see all the flakes clearly as I imagine there's a fair amount of mixing going on at the higher levels of the atmosphere given the synoptics ^^

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

light snow here too, temp up to 3c from 0c in last couple of hours 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I refuse to get too positive bout potential flip again to colder for Xmas even with some encouraging charts..... models just about showing everything just now but most do show Scotland in some form of differing levels of cold from 23rd onwards... another 2 days before I will dare to dream. If could have just kept what's on ground now that would have been ideal but gonna be a big drop drip day tomorrow. 

• Like 7

Posted

+5 degrees on the east coast and snow/ice starting to disappear at a pace.
Was a decent first cold snap of the season though.  Let’s just see what the run up to Xmas brings us.  Would be nice to get some of the white stuff but it will be what will be.
Dipped my toe into the mad house briefly and came straight out again..  Unfortunately the respected posters are being drowned out by some complete zoomers .   

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Is been off here for about 45mins..we are under a big hole according to the radar.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Vegetation, Plant

The temperature has been hovering around +1.5 - +2.0 deg/C

Edited by Klippie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some bigger flakes in the wind now. Temp is 2C with a raw wind.

• Like 3

Posted

The snow has turned back to rain here again so the milder air couldn't be far away and I hope there is a thaw because I need to get to work this week.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon Kilties! I sense the excitedment rising, but, as usual, I remain, calm and collected, since we are not forecast any of the white stuff so far as I can see. It's 4.1c here just now, down from 7.3c earlier on. And the ice has had a fright! The stuff that was coating my drive and the road outside my house has done a runner, and how thankful I am for that! Very light rain here too, taking care of whatever ice remains. Will be glad to see the back of it, at least I'll be able to walk without sliding! 

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Decent 12z for the big day…

4DAC36A4-B15F-4AD2-A48D-C855BD83E86F.thumb.gif.4a6e61b481105efcac4cad4b0d08ebfb.gif

Could contain: Plot, Person, Map, Atlas, Outdoors, Nature, Rainforest, Land, Sea, Face

• Like 6