Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Dreich miserable wet-turning-to-damp Sunday 😭

• Like 2

Posted

Today started with sunshine and was pleasant when I left for church just after 10am. Whilst out for lunch with friends afterwards, there was a sudden sharp shower and it’s now become noticeably cooler. Looking east towards the coast, it looked like they’d got the best of the weather while I was watching lowish cloud move from east to west. Thankfully, we’ve not had any more rain though. High of 18c this morning, now hovering around 14c. 

Back to work tomorrow after a fortnight off with few outdoor jobs completed that I’d hoped to do, thanks to the rain. I hope the weather improves in August.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Not the worst day today. Nice to get a wee bit of luck with that heavy rain heading for Northern England instead of us. Not so good for them sadly.

Starting to reach the conclusion that easily our nicest and most reliable weather periods here are May into June and August into September. Poor school kids get short changed every other year.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
On 17/07/2023 at 20:26, Northernlights said:

Anyone else find it fascinating that we are so cool currently   13c here        and Europe is so hot.

Yes amazing difference up to 3pm we were hovering at 10.8C which would have been coldest July max I have recorded in the seven years up here by a couple of degrees but late burst of rarely seen sunshine pushed it up to 13C. Cold tonight out with the mad hound in hat and jacket, well not the hound in the hat and jacket….

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
21 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Not the worst day today. Nice to get a wee bit of luck with that heavy rain heading for Northern England instead of us. Not so good for them sadly.

Starting to reach the conclusion that easily our nicest and most reliable weather periods here are May into June and August into September. Poor school kids get short changed every other year.

Fully agree. I always say Summer (certainly for Western Scotland) is mid May - start of July. Usually goes on the turn during July (humid, muggy and wetter) and just declines.

Can think of a few good highland shows for example, certainly some baking hot Cheshire show years, Cumberland show (which are 3rd week in June or earlier). Whereas Dumfries show is first week in August, i’ve gone pretty much all my life. Very very few sunny days. Usually cloudy with a chance of rain.

As others have said, Autumnal is the word. Was working at 3am last night, 8c and I was getting the nightshift shivers.

Weekend just gone was a shocker for July, monthly rainfall now at 141mm so about 155% of average.

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mostly cloudy and coolish here today with just one brief heavy shower around tea time. Max of just under 16C. Winds mostly light from NNW to NNE later. Due to a bad knee this weeks walk was the mostly flat circular down by the Tay at Errol near the UK's largest reed beds. Very enjoyable. It was only a couple of Summers ago that a massive fire burnt much of this area but looks brand new now with lots of wildlife especially birds.

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Very cool last night, wife’s threatening to put the duvet back on the bed. This period of weather has been very disappointing, hard to plan when you don’t know how the days going to pan out. Got soaked on the way home going out of Buckhaven last night........obviously I didnt pack the waterproofs for the motorbike.......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Variable cloud, high humidity, light winds - and a brutal 34c.  Welcome to Barcelona....

Nice view of the Pyrenees flying in, but boy the heat is tiring after a few hours.

Screenshot_20230725-081324.thumb.png.d54deae424353f325ef6f4f8fc31af10.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Had some heavy showery downpours this year but the one that just passed through may well have been the heaviest. Several really loud claps of thunder too but as we were in Tescos shopping we did not see any lightning. The thunder was muted a bit too as the noise of the rain on the roof of the shop was amazing. Came out to find the car in a huge puddle but was lucky enough to have had my wife go out ahead as I was at the check out and she paddled through and climbed across from the passenger side to move the car. One or two others were even further in and would have had a fright when the exited the shop. Looks like it headed across to Fife though the heaviest bit is in a narrow area.

Anyone else get this or was it very localised?

Could contain:

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Had some heavy showery downpours this year but the one that just passed through may well have been the heaviest. Several really loud claps of thunder too but as we were in Tescos shopping we did not see any lightning. The thunder was muted a bit too as the noise of the rain on the roof of the shop was amazing. Came out to find the car in a huge puddle but was lucky enough to have had my wife go out ahead as I was at the check out and she paddled through and climbed across from the passenger side to move the car. One or two others were even further in and would have had a fright when the exited the shop. Looks like it headed across to Fife though the heaviest bit is in a narrow area.

Anyone else get this or was it very localised?

Could contain:

Yep, we had a heavy shower around 3.30pm. But full-blown thunder and lightning here now, first I’ve heard/seen this year! 

Could contain:

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Cool start at 7c with blue skies and sunshine although there was some local valley fog.  A fabulous display of aerobatics put on on by our resident house swifts along with their new offspring this morning.  Lots of screeching and very fast flying right up under the eaves.  A great midsummer display

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
On 25/07/2023 at 13:52, Bats32 said:

Is just Autumn now isn't it? Don't hold much hope of anything decent in August given the models. 15 max today and it's freezing.

We’re bound to get a beautiful September. Nothing surer. So don’t lose all hope.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Coming back is going to be a shock weatherwise, 30+c everyday with scorching sun - and some nice sunset Cirrus.

Screenshot_20230728-214409.thumb.png.d740379d24617543c8731f144ef7eae9.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Posted

Had mostly been OK here today odd showers last couple of hours clobbering down

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Chucking it down 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This is garbage now. Can accept unsettled spells in summer as to be expected, but the persistence of this wet weather is something else.

• Like 4

Posted

Suns out and it is starting to feel quite warm. Grand as we are off to St Andrews shortly for a family get together and bbq.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1