Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
17 hours ago, Snowandrocks said:

As others have said - hasn't really let up since late afternoon. 

So much so this rather odd feature has appeared in the garden. Not entirely sure what's going on there! 

Is there some sort of membrane underneath the lawn? Maybe put down by builders / previous owners to stop previous plants coming back up? The way it bursts suggests maybe.

If that's down in Oyne, springs appearing like that as the water table rises in natural valleys would be entirely expected, but grass should be rooted and the layer permeable normally. 

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

Is there some sort of membrane underneath the lawn? Maybe put down by builders / previous owners to stop previous plants coming back up? The way it bursts suggests maybe.

If that's down in Oyne, springs appearing like that as the water table rises in natural valleys would be entirely expected, but grass should be rooted and the layer permeable normally. 

We're up out of Oyne itself on the lower slopes of Bennachie but are on the natural spring line - there are loads of little artesian springs popping up at our height if you follow the contour round the hill so upwelling water is to be expected. 

The seemingly waterproof grass is a bit of a mystery though! I've had a dig down in the daylight today and there's nothing obvious that could form a waterproof layer other than the tightly matted turf which has entirely separated from the very claggy clay soil underneath. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
13 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

We're up out of Oyne itself on the lower slopes of Bennachie but are on the natural spring line - there are loads of little artesian springs popping up at our height if you follow the contour round the hill so upwelling water is to be expected. 

The seemingly waterproof grass is a bit of a mystery though! I've had a dig down in the daylight today and there's nothing obvious that could form a waterproof layer other than the tightly matted turf which has entirely separated from the very claggy clay soil underneath. 

That clay (glacial boulder clay?) soil sounds like the culprit! That would certainly explain the lawn detachment!

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

@Kirkcaldy Weather My niece is getting married in Fife tomorrow at a place off the back road from Cupar to Leven and we are travelling down AM and staying at my cousins down  on Main Street, Lower Largo. I think that they have already written off the outside part of the wedding but can any other problems with travel etc be foreseen? Personally am thinking that the worst will be north of us but not too sure.

• Like 3

Posted

We had a reasonably dry afternoon in Stonehaven with the sun making a brief appearance. The Slug road was clear in time for the drive home but lots of debris in evidence, running water draining out of the fields and remains of trees that had been cut up to be removed after being downed yesterday. River Dee didn’t look any higher at Crathes than it did on 7th October which is a good thing I suppose.

My pws is reporting 31mm of rain since midnight making a total so far for this event of 107.2mm, high temp of 9.6c and currently 5.7c. Have decided against travelling to Edinburgh tomorrow and the ice hockey game I was going to watch looks like being called off in any case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

https://fb.watch/nODHqDkFL6/

LATEST ROAD CLOSURES 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Fine sunny afternoon with a few light showers coming along the coast 20231020_154929.thumb.jpg.0d35d82b1624129c36c373fde026d6ea.jpgand a number of snowy looking ones over the Cairngorms to the south. Currently wind getting up showery and 5c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Rainfall has slowed on Deeside overnight with 14.8mm recorded compared to around 27mm for same period yesterday. Wind still gusting but doesn’t sound quite as strong as it has been.

Forgot to add temperature, currently 6.4c and been hovering between 6.0c and 6.6c since midnight.

Edited by Sanserit
Add temperature
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Winter isn't here yet in Fife just a continuation of the last few days...6.9c/4.9Nwind. - Small gusts.

Could contain:

Edited by blitzen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 minute ago, blitzen said:

Winter isn't here yet in Fife just a continuation of the last few days...6.9c/4.9Nwind.

Could contain:

Just heading down to Fife now for my niece's wedding. Looks like they wont be hanging around long for outside photies etc. Hope roads are ok?

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Just heading down to Fife now for my niece's wedding. Looks like they wont be hanging around long for outside photies etc. Hope roads are ok?

Should be okay. They were worse around here during the wet spell two weekends ago. The rain has been steady rather than  heavy locally. The A92 is still closed at Rathillet though. Hope the day goes well.

The screenshot from SEPA shows how it was much wetter here a couple of weeks back

Could contain:

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Not sure.   Overnight wasn't too bad in this area.   Maybe if you log into Fife Jammers site you will probably get a clearer overall picture?  The sun has just made an appearance here as I type!   Enjoy your day!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

A horrendously poor screenshot but I don’t even care. Winter’s coming! (It has already arrived on Cairngorm it would seem)

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Again very wet today much colder though at 4.3C in bitter North East wind

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Sceptical said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

David Nugent-Malone captures the ground "moving like sea" in Mugdock while walking his dog, Jake.

I've seen that myself -- in Glenurquhart back in February 1989. It played havoc with the kids' Duplo! 

• Like 3