Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 16:16, Allseasons-si said:

Brutal cold to the NE on the UKMO 144...

UN144-21.thumb.gif.418456636462152f730530d276974d1a.gifUN144-7.thumb.gif.ed8a001ec524ea83adf416df82a2e18e.gif

Which adds to the frustration last year it was great synoptic wise to bring in cold air but there was little to tap into.  This year it's brutal cold and we cannot alight synoptic wise... According to recent GFS runs 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 29/11/2021 at 16:22, carinthian said:

Yes, quite a marked difference against the latest GFS run. Will it be snow showers on a biting NELy into SE Britain or mizzly and mild ? Real struggle with the models at 96t and beyond. Maybe just look no further than the end of Friday. 

C

On 29/11/2021 at 16:23, TSNWK said:

Which adds to the frustration last year it was great synoptic wise to bring in cold air but there was little to tap into.  This year it's brutal cold and we cannot alight synoptic wise... According to recent GFS runs 

Let's hope that the latest UKMO is correct but i suspect there will be more chopping and changing up to then

the gfs at 120 is not dropping that trough from Iceland through the UK like the UKMO is showing...

gfsnh-0-120.thumb.png.b27b55c778e2033d3380de09346d4e85.pngUN120-21.thumb.gif.6b2f0edd506df7c714310a796b37cf65.gif

let's see where the gfs goes on this run.

• Like 2

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 16:22, carinthian said:

Yes, quite a marked difference against the latest GFS run. Will it be snow showers on a biting NELy into SE Britain or mizzly and mild ? Real struggle with the models at 96t and beyond. Maybe just look no further than the end of Friday. 

C

Where's the money! UK 144 or GFS.  For some reason I have a view that uk144 is not to be trusted...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

Where's the money! UK 144 or GFS.  For some reason I have a view that uk144 is not to be trusted...

Last year the UKMO seemed a bit flakey at 144 (I believe backed up by the stats).  Not sure how it's performing at the moment though?

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Last year the UKMO seemed a bit flakey at 144 (I believe backed up by the stats).  Not sure how it's performing at the moment though?

It does seem like it's 144 output is erratic sometimes,

However the divergence happens at 120 with low from Iceland, as Steve M used to say, you'd back the ukmo all day long at day 5 over the GFS 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Knocking the American model is fraught, it picks up signals and throws them out of the pram like a spoilt kid does toys:  It has a 4 run ?‍♂️ circular suite per day(if ya like) with the highest time frame output!, and was the 1st to note a n/e heights signal!.. and was also the 1st of today @00z suite to pick up the demise of what it teased @ ramping energy around Greenland!.. so as a suite to suite run.. and with far more time pressing.. let’s not knock it just yet!!.. because my bet now, after viewing the other sets .. is maybe the initial signal was correct- or there about. @ Scandinavia heights of some sort!.. and we may end up with note of others that lagged.. when we get to a point of modelling agreement!!!,, keep ya eye on the gfs.. for those n/e heights.. and other ops  pupping along!!..(behind) over to the 18z for me!!@ model divergence!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted

The GEM is dropping a shallow low NW-SE at 114,...possible snow event on it's northern flank.

gemnh-0-114.thumb.png.a66f92cdb30ebf41733b876d9ac40692.pnggem-16-114.thumb.png.b25549611c2020ed70db1d95138360bd.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

Looks like the gem may be following the ukmo route here with the low over the UK at 114.

gemnh-0-114 (2).png

Yup i think we should expect sudden changes in the 3 to 4 day range!similar to that wtf moment in 2013 i reckon!!!i think we also should not over look the fact there could be more snow for a few of us again this week!!

• Like 5

Posted

The GEM has RAIDED the UK met office,...they are uncannily V similar at 120

the gfs had lost the plot early on it's run but will it be right...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
On 29/11/2021 at 16:52, Kasim Awan said:

I'm quite confident that the gfs could be the wrongun here. Look at what it was forecasting in Jan 2009 for the Feb 2009 mini beast. The gfs has obviously changed quite a bit since then but the overall model infrastructure is still the same.

gfs-2009012400-0-180.png

gfs-2009012500-0-156.png

There’s a preety big di in data input since then!- we’ll soon see but for me it’s the signal man.. and I think we’ll see more solidity from its “now frowned up prognosis “- previous @ Scandinavia heights!! I’m sticking with it- for that road back .. and the rest to follow!!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1