Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
On 29/11/2021 at 13:00, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

After this Thursday / Friday's brief cold incursion the models all seem to be in agreement in the medium term of a much more familiar winter pattern for the UK, Azores high firmly ensconced to our SW, any high pressure to E / NE locked away over Russia, large low pressure systems being spun up to our NW, and being driven eastwards by a strong flat jet. In my experience once this pattern takes hold (as the models are currently suggesting that it will) then it can take quite a while to break free from it, and whilst I don't want to be Mr Gloomy (from a cold perspective) it wouldn't surprise me at all if we're soon in the 'lets see what the New Year brings' mode of model watching...........

Azores High is a winter ruiner, shortly followed by Labrador based PV. Together they're like a whirlpool; as soon as you start to drift towards it, it gets harder and harder to get away from it, and once you cross a certain threshold, you're falling in and nothing will rescue you from it's dark and whirly depths! (like 2013/14 or 2019/20)

When models hint at this, it's the equivalent to seeing the whirlpool but still safe. That's where we are now, with lower heights currently over the Med with opportunity to avoid said whirlpool. However, if models continue to hint at the Azores High / Labrador PV, we'll get nearer and nearer until we're helplessly falling into the pattern writing off the remainder of the year and possibly the first half of winter...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 hours ago, Beanz said:

I think the MetO are a bit wiser than that. 

Yep,I let my heart rule my head yet again. Even though I've stated many a times on here how I think the GFS is a complete waste of time(especially the op and control runs,I find myself being sucked into my own hype!

There was never cross model agreement regarding all the ens etc..we had a dodgy EC46 also,so i was always apprehensive..

The way forward looks rather mixed....often cold in the North,milder at times further South,if this colder air digs further south at times we could still get a few wintry suprises.

Regarding Height rises to the NE right now...very unlikely....and regarding Height rises to the NW...less likely...far too much energy in that neck of the woods right now...hopefully we see a shift further along the line.

Mogreps ens probably highlight those at times coldish temps....so at least feeling a bit more seasonal at times.

Now I need  a year out to recover from the 1st failed cold chase....I did warn last week that there will be many of em to come this winter!

So cold crew don't be ashamed,we got it wrong...join me at Mattcoldcamp.com.uk I'm here for the duration and I'm ready to listen to your ramps and concerns...we treat everyone equal here....even those mild fanatics get a chance

mogrepstmpEdinburgh.png

mogrepstmpManchester.png

mogrepstmpLondon.png

mogrepstmpBirmingham.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After many letdowns and mood swings, I've decided not to post any model stuff before the ensembles come along. The operational run suggests a waxing-waning Siberian/Scandinavian anticyclone and a slightly displaced Azores job. Between which, we remain in an unsettled, rather cold northwesterly regime. But for how long will it last?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Well, according to the GFS 06Z operational run -- not very long; predicted developments away to our northwest don't look too favourable? So, to the ensembles:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

Pretty good out to Day 5 or six; next to useless after that. And, IMO, the signal for an outbreak of Siberian/Scandinavian air was never more than weak, anyway? Models and humans have 'options'. But the weather won't be listening?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Low amplitude 6/7 id say ideally we want mid amplitude minimum to have an impact on the jet waves but out of the COD is good, the wedges we see atm is not in anyway linked, the wedges are primed because of the angle of the jet, the deep cold building and the position of the vortex pieces 

Im setting myself up for a fall here by the pros please correct if wrong 

@Severe Siberian icy blast im hopefull  and see more ideas into the early winterdays image.thumb.png.58dbe4b98ea94d540e94670d201b3fde.png

Edited by Dennis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
39 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Yep,I let my heart rule my head yet again. Even though I've stated many a times on here how I think the GFS is a complete waste of time(especially the op and control runs,I find myself being sucked into my own hype!

There was never cross model agreement regarding all the ens etc..we had a dodgy EC46 also,so i was always apprehensive..

The way forward looks rather mixed....often cold in the North,milder at times further South,if this colder air digs further south at times we could still get a few wintry suprises.

Regarding Height rises to the NE right now...very unlikely....and regarding Height rises to the NW...less likely...far too much energy in that neck of the woods right now...hopefully we see a shift further along the line.

Mogreps ens probably highlight those at times coldish temps....so at least feeling a bit more seasonal at times.

Now I need  a year out to recover from the 1st failed cold chase....I did warn last week that there will be many of em to come this winter!

So cold crew don't be ashamed,we got it wrong...join me at Mattcoldcamp.com.uk I'm here for the duration and I'm ready to listen to your ramps and concerns...we treat everyone equal here....even those mild fanatics get a chance

mogrepstmpEdinburgh.png

mogrepstmpManchester.png

mogrepstmpLondon.png

mogrepstmpBirmingham.png

Is it wrong though? Not happened yet. It's a bit like the new fad of cancelled flights when it is forecast to snow rather than when it does.  Invariably the snow does not arrive..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Did say Sat - Sun to hang your revs and keep your powder dry until mid week. The waxing and waininng are evident on the nhp plus the PV to the nnw is up and down like a fiddlers elbow. Give it 3-4 days see how the land lyes. Nw to se is the form horse with "northwestsnow" wedges being favourite . Not enough amplification for much more but glacier point used to say that's all you need. Uto

Edited by swfc
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 13:28, Ed Stone said:

After many letdowns and mood swings, I've decided not to post any model stuff before the ensembles come along. The operational run suggests a waxing-waning Siberian/Scandinavian anticyclone and a slightly displaced Azores job. Between which, we remain in an unsettled, rather cold northwesterly regime. But for how long will it last?

Well, according to the GFS 06Z operational run -- not very long; predicted developments away to our northwest don't look too favourable? So, to the ensembles:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

Pretty good out to Day 5 or six; next to useless after that. And, IMO, the signal for an outbreak of Siberian/Scandinavian air was never more than weak, anyway? Models and humans have 'options'. But the weather won't be listening?

Hang on to your sanity Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, MATTWOLVES said:

mogrepstmpEdinburgh.png

mogrepstmpManchester.png

mogrepstmpLondon.png

mogrepstmpBirmingham.png

It hasnt failed yet Matt this UKMO chart would be a pretty special position for week one of winter image.thumb.png.f57c7696d53a3829b480c9fe39ca342b.png Scandi highs always have been the hardest for models to get a consistent signal for, I wouldn't rule out it being a bigger influence than some of the less blocky runs suggest 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
56 minutes ago, Dennis said:

@Severe Siberian icy blast im hopefull  and see more ideas into the early winterdays image.thumb.png.58dbe4b98ea94d540e94670d201b3fde.png

That looks quite promising, although last year promised similar only to drop the signal nearer the time. Lets hope there is not a repeat this year, we can do with all the help we can get when living on this little island  

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Hatewarmth said:

Your exactly right.  This is what’s been going through my head this morning.  

To much doom and gloom on here given the positive signals AND positive start to the season.  We not even in December yet

Doom and gloom probably because it's a Monday!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, fromey said:

I’m waiting for the winter is over posts to start next!! 

Oh gosh yes usually one appears on 1 December. Cold and unsettled I'd the predominant theme for early December nothing especially mild. Jet aligned NW-SE we are not staring at a powerhouse zonal onslaught of the Atlantic.. indeed we haven't all 2021!

• Like 6

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 14:47, damianslaw said:

Oh gosh yes usually one appears on 1 December. Cold and unsettled I'd the predominant theme for early December nothing especially mild. Jet aligned NW-SE we are not staring at a powerhouse zonal onslaught of the Atlantic.. indeed we haven't all 2021!

1st December ! Last year I recall a deadly serious message that WOI during October… 

Posted
33 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

You couldn’t tell how sustainable they were from those runs 

Yes, the 12z EU ukmo yesterday was dreadful at 168...

Anyway, clearly the GFS has now trended away from scandy heights ..

As the snow begins to melt another chase begins , Fwiw,and IMO  ,those away from altitude in the North are looking mid month and beyond for the next opportunity. 

We know there is little likelihood of high latitude blocking anytime soon ,but with the Euro low we can perhaps anticipate wedges of heights(GIN sea would be perfect) directing traffic ...

• Like 3

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 15:07, northwestsnow said:

Yes, the 12z EU ukmo yesterday was dreadful at 168...

Anyway, clearly the GFS has now trended away from scandy heights ..

As the snow begins to melt another chase begins , Fwiw,and IMO  ,those away from altitude in the North are looking mid month and beyond for the next opportunity. 

We know there is little likelihood of high latitude blocking anytime soon ,but with the Euro low we can perhaps anticipate wedges of heights(GIN sea would be perfect) directing traffic ...

What about us in the southern lowlands;) who so desperately needed that scandi option as wedges from a low euro heights is rather challenging…

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 15:17, TSNWK said:

What about us in the southern lowlands;) who so desperately needed that scandi option as wedges from a low euro heights is rather challenging…

Well if the synoptics don't allow itwhat can you do  tbh. Said before there's always Scandinavia or svalbard

Posted

Day 8 on the ICON showing some kind of  Scandy high attempt !! 

Personally I think all the signal and forecasts haven’t got a clue this year - anything could happen 10 days out!! I’d hazard a guess and no big freeze because that’s generally the norm !! 

024D8AB8-F023-4126-94C8-E747A25A6115.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The first out of the blocks is the ICON and it looks spiffing to me and would get the cold in from the east after 180

animated 93-180...

animlny2.thumb.gif.3b2db1560b876d698c2a4e4c7a4340d5.gifanimzyf0.thumb.gif.0850d36b41bba14578c1f736a91bef65.gif

Edit: @Ali1977 just pipped me there,...i must be quicker ha ha

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 29/11/2021 at 14:39, fromey said:

I’m waiting for the winter is over posts to start next!! 

You hit the IGNORE button if they do

• Like 6

Posted
On 29/11/2021 at 15:40, northwestsnow said:

ICON looks wedgy !! 

We like wedges

Fascinating model watching right now...

You got issues man

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2