Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Christmas approaches

Paul
Message added by Paul,

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.a70a0b7ec0350c0bbf4888757c30744e.png

Western Europe cold.

Eastern Europe mild

very rare set up...

It really is. I know a lot of people will want to focus on the devil in the detail but I can't recall seeing such amazing northern blocking before, with an easterly running from the Urals to the eastern seaboard of the US. Quite amazing. The results of that here, if it holds, will be extremely interesting. Some marginal moments but also some blasts of severe cold with snow.

Edited by Mark Smithy
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Western Europe cold.

Eastern Europe mild

very rare set up...

You’d have to say this could end up a very long cold period  looking at the NH, along with seeing the seasonal forecasts for Jan!!  

298C3A60-F3B3-42F4-8B15-D952DFF6D169.png

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, daz_4 said:

Jules is going to have a heart attack this morning. We went from beautiful winter nirvana in Central Europe to SW express over Christmas. Classic

Yep. Minus days to double digit plus temperature in 24 hours

Posted

I can understand the frustration ,it could be coldies have ' lost ' Christmas...

But the blocking high is going to force that jet south If we take GFS /EC at face value,and hopefully by Boxing Day the Arctic air floods south.

If we lose this one I think I'd have to take a break TBH...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
11 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

To my eye, the ECM keeps the trend going, this time with the snow line dropping progressively further south during Christmas Day, eventually reaching the far south during Boxing Day.

Screenshot_20211217-065017.thumb.png.1ddcd7c5ca50033caa00deaa2e951205.png

But it's all about the trend for now. It's tight for snow, but then it always is for the UK. Just being within the margin of error at all is good news right now!

You mean Just like xmas 62 MWB

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
On 17/12/2021 at 07:05, northwestsnow said:

I can understand the frustration ,it could be coldies have ' lost ' Christmas...

But the blocking high is going to force that jet south If we take GFS /EC at face value,and hopefully by Boxibg Day the Arctic air floods south.

If we lose this one I think I'd have to take  break TBH...

Is there a memorable winter that started on Boxing Day? Not seen it mentioned on here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

What's with the negativity?
Since when did we trust models 8 days out? 
Plenty of time for it to change, 1 run doesn't make much of a difference, the weather moves in mysterious ways :santa-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Swing back to what? It's the coldest ensemble suite so far lmao

Huge uncertainty though given that the massive divergence in temps at day 4 and 5.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
1 hour ago, mulzy said:

Trending the wrong way guys.  Need a decent ECM.  Another problem that the eps picked up last night is not enough eastward progression of the southerly tracking lows - heights are beginning to rise over south east Europe resulting in lows stalling.  Let's hope that this trend reverses.  Meanwhile eyes down for the ECM.

As long as they stall in the channel Mulzy I,m not worried  

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

But the blocking high is going to force that jet south If we take GFS /EC at face value,and hopefully by Boxing Day the Arctic air floods south.

If we lose this one I think I'd have to take a break TBH...

Its going the wrong way for christmas day with a  slight shift north!!could be just a delay and eventually we will get what we want after that but we dont want delays cos the more delays the higher the chance of things goin wrong even more!!

Posted
On 17/12/2021 at 07:09, Ramp said:

Don’t things usually adjust south in these scenarios when the Atlantic comes up against a block?

That’s true that’s usually the case things adjust south but.. doesn’t always happen! 
just to have to be patient and watch

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Western Europe cold.

Eastern Europe mild

very rare set up...

I can live with transient rain events if colder air is incoming...

Not sure I like that chart, looks a bit flakey with all the warm air to the east. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Not sure I like that chart, looks a bit flakey with all the warm air to the east. 

Doesn’t matter about the east in this set up

61CEE388-BC5E-48EF-8F49-0AB78D9D8A8C.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, saintkip said:

We'd benefit from the lows being a tad further SE ..

It might happen as we tick down , this tends to happen - moreso with a big Greenland block ...

What we obviously don't want to see is anymore movement north of the lows , and I'd agree we have little room for manaouvere here...

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Doesn’t matter about the east in this set up

61CEE388-BC5E-48EF-8F49-0AB78D9D8A8C.png

If we’ve got lows going under the block sooner or later the weather will be coming from the east, we’d end up with a nice mild Easterly‍

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Don’t things usually adjust south in these scenarios when the Atlantic comes up against a block?

Unfortunataly that's more common for 30-50 mile tracks south in frontal systems than macro scale (200 mile +) changes in the synoptic pattern. Still possible though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

For the Christmas period a small shift southwards for everyone to get in on the fun 

But longer term we could be seeing the beginnings of a cold spell not snap PV in tatters 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, saintkip said:

If we’ve got lows going under the block sooner or later the weather will be coming from the east, we’d end up with a nice mild Easterly‍

Low risk chance.  What is a worry is a west based -NAO in the medium term.  That needs monitoring.  Hopefully we'll just about avoid it....

• Like 3

Posted

the change in the eps mean from day 10 to day 9 tells a story …….

could be the closest but no cigar to a widespread Xmas snowy period in decades! 

still time for a correction but the trend is the trend 

image.thumb.png.f233aabe0c52d4287456d02d4f88a61c.png  image.thumb.png.c1f4832c8a97bfd126021c5af651b72d.png

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
18 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

A snowy ECM run and in all honesty the knee jerk reactions this morning I read at 6am considering the charts was enough to put me in a mood simply because I don't understand why people are so emotionally driven at a chart that shows sliders coming into cold air, yes this morning everythings a few hundred miles for North, but why you getting hung up because your in the milder air on a chart that's 7 days away! 

Look for key points, high pressure to the North, cold to the east, sliding low pressures, the finer details come much nearer the time and with sliding lows it's the last 2 or 3 days max you wanto be looking at the rain/snow boundary. 

I can only think some of you enjoy the emotional day to day runs but it's not healthy! What ever you do, NEVER do inter day trading online if your emotional it will destroy you! 

Have a good day gang ❄️❄️⚽

This is a fantastic post From a newbies POV , really positive and telling us what to keep an eye out for Thankyou

• Thanks 2