Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Woke up and birds were in full voice, they've now gone eerily quiet. Hoping the Oak tree that survived the 87 storm gets through this one, we lost six of our seven oaks in 87. Remember waking up to be told no school today then a day later going for a walk with my dad and brother up Knole Park and seeing the devastating number of trees lost  then to the Vine cricket ground where the seven oaks stood to see only one left standing.

Edited by Oaks
  • Like 1

Posted

Well got up early to get the dogs out, if it wasnt for the drizzle would have been a normal long walk, winds currently less than they have been for the last few days, but expecting it will get much worse as we go through the day, red warning, not seen one of those before, hope its a safe day for all.

Edit, local schools are now closed for the day, although my son is off college for half term, as his college in next county, but he'll be p^%sed that this wasnt next week when hes back in lol 

Edited by Blazerblue

Very very strange here.. Been to the yard done orders and am now back home. It goes very very quiet and then all of a sudden big gust of wind. Quiet again and then big gust... Each time getting stronger and stronger.

This morning at 4am it sounded eerily quiet.. heard only 1 bird sing this morning! Usually the yard is alive with the sound of birds.. Not this morning!

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Imagine if we had the internet in 1987!!! 

the majority of us went to bed not knowing what was about to happen...

Even if we did I didn't have any power for seven odd days the cables were flipping about live in the road ,needed a wind up radio ..didn't even see the news nothing, couldn't get out coz of trees down everywhere ..no mobile phones ..you only got rumours ..nasty once in life time  but only bonus it was about 18c in the morning it was about 10c  following evening 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
28 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Very very strange here.. Been to the yard done orders and am now back home. It goes very very quiet and then all of a sudden big gust of wind. Quiet again and then big gust... Each time getting stronger and stronger.

This morning at 4am it sounded eerily quiet.. heard only 1 bird sing this morning! Usually the yard is alive with the sound of birds.. Not this morning!

I just popped to the Co-op before staying in for the day. The carrion crows were going a bit mad in the sky, never seen them this noisy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Eerily still here, still updating (and seemingly waking up) my friend about the red warning (she's the only one who wakes up as early as I do)

Edited by Eagle Eye

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

really ramping up here now and so far away from the peak... Noise now coming down the chimney and you can hear the stronger gusts around the house

32 minutes ago, Surrey said:

If you remember 87 it was the same ..I can remember it was quite at begining and there wasn't charts to ponder over but you knew something was going on ,because it hit us middle of night ..I was out window listening suddenly you could hear these gusts a mile off ,roaring through the trees ,then back to calm ,more frequent and stronger everytime ,not constant   

1 minute ago, TN9 said:

If you remember 87 it was the same ..I can remember it was quite at begining and there wasn't charts to ponder over but you knew something was going on ,because it hit us middle of night ..I was out window listening suddenly you could hear these gusts a mile off ,roaring through the trees ,then back to calm ,more frequent and stronger everytime ,not constant   

To young for 87! I'm 28 so wasn't even in the universe yet.. 

Was speaking to my dad last night about 87 difference to this storm is trees are not in leaf which makes a huge difference to surface area. 

87 also saw gusts of over 100mph even in London which I don't think we will see today   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Windy here but no more than it was at 5am , what time are the strongest winds expected ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
sample.jpg
EARTH.NULLSCHOOL.NET

See current wind, weather, ocean, and pollution conditions, as forecast by supercomputers, on an interactive animated map. Updated every three hours.

This is good to give you an idea of current wind direction and speed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I see that  maximum gusts toned down from what they were a couple of days back (my part of Suffolk was regularly showing 80mph+ on a number of charts, now closer to 65-70mph. Although not a huge change, the affect that has is quite large. I've calculated below the pressure exerted by wind at different velocities:

image.thumb.png.d26eaca7aa7109385ba721503d96fd56.png

Notice how a wind gust of 80, down to 70, a reduction of just 10mph, is a reduction of nearly 25% pressure.

The concern is the formation of a sting jet. I've experienced one during the St Jude storm and it's something I'll never forget. 15 minutes of carnage with winds of 90mph. Note that a gust of 90mph exerts double the pressure of a gust at 65mph. It will be interesting to see if one develops today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Just popped over to the southwest thread and they are all saying the winds are not bad , I thought it would have been in full swing in the west by now ? 

Posted

Laughing at the reports on GMB this morning, reporters in SW saying its not bad, people milling around near the sea walls, perfectly normal day. Has this been over egged? Hope so. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Just been out with the dog, nothing out of the ordinary tbh at the moment. Having lived on the Isle of Islay for a few years it's just like a normal winters day up there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters
5 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Laughing at the reports on GMB this morning, reporters in SW saying its not bad, people milling around near the sea walls, perfectly normal day. Has this been over egged? Hope so. 

Would be very ironic lol, 1987 nothing to worry about, we got battered. 2022 Pre warned with the rare Red warning and turns out to be just nothing to worry about ?

Well hopefully

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The rain band is moving through here now, some gusty winds accompanying this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

This is a good link, Not even peaked yet good 1hr away, from this live chart

social-app.jpg
WWW.VENTUSKY.COM

Live wind, rain, radar or temperature maps, more than 50 weather layers, detailed forecast for your place, data from the best weather forecast models with high resolution

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
20 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

It's been slightly over egged but the storm does seem to have lagged behind forecasts a bit and the worst has definitely not hit the SW and Wales yet. @Marie not the worst yet. Half an hour till that hits anywhere near full force I would say.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 1