Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
37 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Likely to be some delays with landings/take-offs impacted by wind levels. I am not an expert but did a quick Google search, and it seems than speeds above 35mph can be problematical (depending also on direction).

Think Gatwick has a south West runway so maybe ok

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
59 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

I think you meant the south west?

Sorry yes, South West!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I think local attractions will start doing the sensible thing and announce closures for tomorrow, Leeds Castle for example have announced they will be closed tomorrow due to the weather forecast.

If the local radio stations start making them announcements then the majority of the general public will start to take notice. On one of our work sites we ordered things to be put away and anything outside to be secured down, amazing the amount of colleagues that was unaware about this event...or don't want to believe it!

• Like 2

Posted

Sorted the garden in my lunch hour.  Smaller pots wedged, fence panels wedged where needed, bins brought round by back gate so hopefully they’ll not fly off anywhere.

I’m just a mile from the sea as the crow flies, in equal parts interested and anxious to see what tomorrow brings.

Reckon we’ll see a red warning in the SE or EA?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I work for a large construction company, and our Health and Safety advisor has advised all site to consider suspending all works tomorrow due to the winds, which is sensible. preparations are already being made on sites secure/remove scaffold boards and get all loose materials inside or tied down.

Thankfully I'm office based and have freedom to organise my own diary, so I'll be working from home tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Essex CC parks will all be closed tomorrow (so car parks will be locked).
Chelmsford Market have decided to not to trade in the high street tomorrow.

Edited by moogyboobles

Posted

Sting Jets only form in Shapiro-Keyser extratropical cyclones.

Storm Eustice is forecast to be a Shapiro-Keyser extratropical cyclone.

If it does occur, then it will between the bottom of the core and behind the cold front and will occur when the warm front begins to occlude. They are very rare, and most likely the cause of the devastation of the Oct 1987 storm, which I am old enough to remember.

Stay safe people.

meto.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Haven't fully caught up with the storm thread yet, but like most looking forward to tomorrows extreme weather, although slightly worried.

Spent most of the day clearing the garden of anything that could become a projectile, but pretty concerned about the neighbours. No answer from the house with the trampoline in the garden, same with the guy who has a car parked next to the garage, have posted a note through the door suggesting it's in a vulnerable position. Neighbours with tree stumps and bricks on top of the garage don't feel the need to take any action, what else can you do  

274113549_471119997996774_2180173072650326590_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
5 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

Haven't fully caught up with the storm thread yet, but like most looking forward to tomorrows extreme weather, although slightly worried.

Spent most of the day clearing the garden of anything that could become a projectile, but pretty concerned about the neighbours. No answer from the house with the trampoline in the garden, same with the guy who has a car parked next to the garage, have posted a note through the door suggesting it's in a vulnerable position. Neighbours with tree stumps and bricks on top of the garage don't feel the need to take any action, what else can you do  

Same sort of nonsense going on here. I have had conversations with two colleagues today who were completely unaware of the storm.  Most seem though not to put two and two together as its so very long since we experienced anything like what is forecast so they think it will be simply troublesome with a few bins blowing over.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

The early part of the sunset today 20220217_163633082.thumb.jpg.0790d14714698d9815619943a4b883f2.jpg

Great ☁️’s ! These are the ones in the sky near me!

A5DEFF16-6639-4B1D-9F5F-0BCD11AC5869.jpeg

ADEAED0C-36D1-4AE9-8ED4-1E4F2984500E.jpeg

3D02E633-A7E9-4E1A-AE72-1FAA0AC779CB.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

I've locked the cat in so she can't turn into a projectile

• Like 6

Posted

Seems some of the models have moderated winds slightly. Still 60 to perhaps 70mph across my parts of London. Could be up to 80mph for a time in other parts of the region. Don't think we'll see a red warning but it will be close. In any case expect a few fence panels down, bins over, branches / the odd tree!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Colchester zoo have put on their website that due to Storm Eunice they advising people not to visit and those booked will be offered vouchers to return. My friend was still thinking of going tomorrow despite my warning - until she read this!!

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
7 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

What sort of time is it expected to reach us?

That is what I'd like to know Moogy.  I think I will be sleeping downstairs anyway tonight as I want to be about early tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
23 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

What sort of time is it expected to reach us?

WWW.WXCHARTS.COM

A new weather forecast model data viewer for Europe and North America. Clickable forecast and ensemble plots, hourly GFS, ECMWF, ARPEGE and GEFS plots

Could be anytime late morning to late afternoon depending on where you live... will be staying home all day.. not worth the risk venturing out - good luck

Thought i'd snap a pic of trees nearby - hope they are there tomorrow 

PXL_20220217_143301267.jpg

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 1

Incredible really after such a long period of dominated high pressure weather we are starring down the barrel of a very powerful storm.

One thing we were talking today about in the yard is that countries subject to extreme weather events like hurricanes know and act when there are warnings. For good reason... of course, while this storm is strong its nothing compared to a large hurricane.. its just here in our part of the world we are not really custom to extreme weather events because they rarely happen... with climate change this is changing. 

My guess would be places with height in land box Hill leith Hill etc 75mph perhaps a touch more 

Lower levels top end 60s possibly low 70s.. 

Coasts and exposed parts 80-85mph 

There is the small risk that anywhere within the Amber warning tips 80mph even in land. Such geographical features can enhance wind speeds and models do not pick these up.

Talk of a sting jet is something I was monitoring earlier in the week the risk of one. A fickle beast and almost impossible to forecast until its bearing down on you. Massive impact small area. It maybe on SAT tomorrow we can see one develop but a real now casting situation.

Stay safe all, don't travel unless you really need to, I noticed even with the low 51mph gust we had here last night a lot of dead wood had been blown out the trees and on the roads this morning.

• Like 3

Posted

Listen....I am a veteran of the old Beeb Board (while still in my 20s!) and Met Monkey and lived thru 87 and 90....at 12 and 14 respectively. Please stay in tmrw! Forget where u are told to be. U only get one life. I still get flashbacks to both storms having lost all tiles and felting in both in a very exposed location in Woodingdean, Brighton. So....please dont say....bring it on. Please all stay safe and follow the advice. Take care out there! Stef (repost from Storm Thread for locals!)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
15 minutes ago, Pixel said:
WWW.WXCHARTS.COM

A new weather forecast model data viewer for Europe and North America. Clickable forecast and ensemble plots, hourly GFS, ECMWF, ARPEGE and GEFS plots

Could be anytime late morning to late afternoon depending on where you live... will be staying home all day.. not worth the risk venturing out - good luck

Thought i'd snap a pic of trees nearby - hope they are there tomorrow 

PXL_20220217_143301267.jpg

Thank you! No plans to go out tomorrow at all.
I just remembered I left the bird feeders out, I was just going to bring them in the morning but I'l go do it now.

I had plans to plant a few new shrubs that arrived yesterday, I'm going to wait a couple of days now!

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all brace yourselves! 50/50 parts of SE goes red imo it will be very late warning.

7553DF1E-7FC5-4D16-962B-2091016D779F.thumb.gif.2f6cb9f04b9922f1f852e2b9bf71cea7.gif

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 6

Posted

..I am a veteran  from  the great  storm that was  not clever  please  just stay safe  its going  to get very wild   bbc   look east weather  now saying   85 mph

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, leedsnowfan said:

Listen....I am a veteran of the old Beeb Board (while still in my 20s!) and Met Monkey and lived thru 87 and 90....at 12 and 14 respectively. Please stay in tmrw! Forget where u are told to be. U only get one life. I still get flashbacks to both storms having lost all tiles and felting in both in a very exposed location in Woodingdean, Brighton. So....please dont say....bring it on. Please all stay safe and follow the advice. Take care out there! Stef (repost from Storm Thread for locals!)

Same - BBC boards, MetMonkey veteran too! I was 10 and 13 on the two large storms.

I would love to go to the seafront and see the waves at high tide late morning but won’t risk it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Watching the BBC SE weather just before 7pm it struck me how long this is going to last tomorrow down here. Normally these things race through quickly but it still seemed to look pretty nasty well into the late afternoon/early evening.

Was going to walk into the office early doors and then figured by the time I leave to come home it will be largely over. Think I’ll stay at home now.