Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just had an incredibly strong gust outside, proper whistling, howling wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, Polaris said:

Back to the days walking home from school in 70mph gusts minus naming low pressure systems storm names. 

I remember walking home from college avoiding falling tree branches and roof titles years ago, and none of these gusts were from named storms. It was still not as scary as the rabid looking dog that I had to negotiate every day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Fingers crossed its not a bad as they say it is ,or could be.

Very destructive. 

Bad for rural areas with farms and grazing animals etc.

Awful and dangerous for people to get to work.

I hope its watered down  

23 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I remember walking home from college avoiding falling tree branches and roof titles years ago, and none of these gusts were from named storms. It was still not as scary as the rabid looking dog that I had to negotiate every day.

I do to.

I tried to do my paper round.

Paper lady said I had to.

A tile flew off and nearly hit me.

I went home crying and my mum phoned up paper lady and told her to shove the paper round up her you know what  

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Wivenswold said:

Dudley is causing a lot of power cuts here on the Essex Coast, a lot of more remote villages around here have already lost power and we've had a few long flickers. 

I understand train services through Luton are stopped due to a tree falling across the line taking out the overhead wires and landing in a fizzing pile of tree and copper wires, according to a local rail correspondent. More of that to come this week, take a snack and bottle of water if you're travelling. 

Tree on the line was at St Albans, and ended up on fire! The line between St Pancras and Bedford is closed until the morning. 

we had a spell of strong gusts about 5:30/6 that caused the above, but can’t have been more than 50mph. Really does not bode well at all for Friday. 

Posted

I have come back in here the tosh that is being spouted in the storm thread is ridiculous! 

Xc weather and met both have ne down for 74mph and that is strong very strong. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I've been trying to find where we have seen anything comparable to this in the last few years in Norfolk/Suffolk. The only thing I can find close in the last 5 years is the 18th January 2018, which the MetOffice messed up on, only issuing a warning when the event was already underway. Here's the maximum gusts for that storm, and Friday's storm looks like it will trump this. The storm in 2018 cause a lot of power outages.

Picture1.png

5a6042e4eba47_WeatherquestGustsThur18Jan06_00.jpg.d0e0fd94199ac80a95a03b2fcf2ef680.jpg

Edited by suffolkboy_
  • Like 1

Posted

Lots of waffle on the storm thread this morning. Going to use my lunch break today to go into the garden and sort out a fence panel that’s come loose on one side and get the bins round the back of the house so they don’t go for a wander tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Lots of waffle on the storm thread this morning. Going to use my lunch break today to go into the garden and sort out a fence panel that’s come loose on one side and get the bins round the back of the house so they don’t go for a wander tomorrow.

Yes, best to stick to regional form now as a lot of people post cr** now if they dont fall within the warning areas on want to troll. Happens every time with a weather event. Good to ignore those posters as well with the ignore button.

Pretty much as we were yesterday... 

Serious storm tomorrow that many people my age have not yet experienced one this powerful.

70mph inland easily possibly more.

80-90mph on coasts and dare I say it perhaps 100mph in exposed parts needles, eastern exposed costal areas etc..

Edited by Surrey

Posted
7 hours ago, suffolkboy_ said:

I've been trying to find where we have seen anything comparable to this in the last few years in Norfolk/Suffolk. The only thing I can find close in the last 5 years is the 18th January 2018, which the MetOffice messed up on, only issuing a warning when the event was already underway. Here's the maximum gusts for that storm, and Friday's storm looks like it will trump this. The storm in 2018 cause a lot of power outages.

Picture1.png

5a6042e4eba47_WeatherquestGustsThur18Jan06_00.jpg.d0e0fd94199ac80a95a03b2fcf2ef680.jpg

Indeed, for those of us in the North London area winds will likely peak at around 70mph, and more widely across the region 80mph. That possible sting jet wants watching though!

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

I'm in West Kent, Did I hear Carol right on the Beeb when she said Eunice could arrive at 3 tomorrow morning?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

75mph on the forecast. That's insane for here. Especially up high where I am. Driving to work tomorrow will be an absolute nightmare. I don't know how it's not a red alert.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

10 miles in from the coast and not looking forward to tomorrow at all to be honest. Been hoping for downgrades all week and haven’t happened unfortunately.

Being the glass half full chap I am, I’m fully expecting the Russian invasion of Ukraine to start just about the same time as the roof of my house is falling apart.

• Like 4

Posted

Its still windy here this morning, trees down around the area last night. really not looking forward to tomorrow, still waiting on a red warning to be issued, dont think ive seen one of those for wind around here, but with the words sting jet being banded about, potentially as its comes into east anglia, could be a lot of damage. Fingers crossed its not as bad as being predicated, either way, I think its gonna be a good day to stay home if you can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Typical tomorrow is the one day I've a trip to take for work from Maidstone to Faversham, not a Iong journey by any means but potentially tricky.

Have a decision to make as to go early morning and get back before lunch, leave it till late afternoon and hope the roads are clear or to simply cancel it, looks like a lunchtime/early afternoon peak for us?

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

We have an 11:20 flight from Gatwick tomorrow...........hopefully not delayed 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

So the first Red is out for the South East, I guess because they'll be getting hit first, more Red Warnings may come after the Cobra meeting perhaps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
20 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

So the first Red is out for the South East, I guess because they'll be getting hit first, more Red Warnings may come after the Cobra meeting perhaps.

I think you meant the south west?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
37 minutes ago, Shunter said:

We have an 11:20 flight from Gatwick tomorrow...........hopefully not delayed 

Likely to be some delays with landings/take-offs impacted by wind levels. I am not an expert but did a quick Google search, and it seems than speeds above 35mph can be problematical (depending also on direction).

Posted
23 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

I think you meant the south west?

I would give my analysis of tomorrow's storm but I don't want to sound long winded ..:-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
5 minutes ago, TN9 said:

I would give my analysis of tomorrow's storm but I don't want to sound long winded ..:-)

Definitely a lot to be made of it, chopping and changing as the models do, we still have no idea what is even trending on the models at the moment. I've personally told my friends (might have sneakily taken a few quotes and images from here to sound intelligent in-front of a certain one but all good eh ) but no specifics with them either yet.