Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Same here 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, City, Weather, Winter, Road, Intersection, Blizzard, Snow, Urban

• Like 2

Posted

A nice covering here (1-2cm) on all surfaces.  Just east enough to get some of the action.  Obviously others to the east and north of me have done much better (including central London!)

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

happy to report i've woken up about an inch and a half 👍

• Like 3

Posted

Here in East Herts / Weat Essex first look out window and I think rough estimate is over 10cm here. Maybe 12cm. Incredibly happy with that. 

Could contain: Weather, Outdoors, Nature, Ice, Furniture, Snow

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
56 minutes ago, PiscesStar said:

I dont understand what the fuss is about here eff all as usual 

Perhaps the snow fell somewhere else? That could explain it.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Woke up to a winter wonderland, haven’t been outside yet but I’d say 2-3cm, looks nice powdery snow too so I’m happy with that ! Hopefully the main roads won’t be too bad either - stay safe everyone and enjoy your snow ⛄️ 

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Fungus, Conifer, Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Pine, Snow

Could contain: Tree, Chair, Furniture, Nature, Outdoors, Desk, Patio, Housing, Scenery, Fir

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.
5 minutes ago, Snowangel-MK said:

Woke up to a winter wonderland, haven’t been outside yet but I’d say 2-3cm, looks nice powdery snow too so I’m happy with that ! Hopefully the main roads won’t be too bad either - stay safe everyone and enjoy your snow ⛄️ 

Could contain: Tree, Fir, Fungus, Conifer, Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Pine, Snow

Could contain: Tree, Chair, Furniture, Nature, Outdoors, Desk, Patio, Housing, Scenery, Fir

Brilliant 👏 

Just goes to show.

I had no idea that would double back that far .

Awesome.

Edited by Floatylight
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Maxed out at about 6 cms here and very happy with that. One of our best falls for a long time. Great to hear many more got in on the action last night.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Pic of outside the house with the village christmas tree in background :cold-emoji:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Tree, Plant, Weather, Vegetation, Snow, Winter, Ice

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, pages said:

Sounds like the met office already trying to make excuses for massive mistake via twitter from the comfort of their warm homes

I get not wanting to put out unnecessary to early but it's obvious on couple of occasions now that they don't have anyone with authority working on Sunday evenings to make a quick decision.

They should of least given amber possibly red warnings this afternoon giving People heads up before venturing out, there vehicles stranded over night on all the major motorways now.

6 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I'd say though, an Amber was more warranted. Most of the transport network has collapsed.

road-through-trees-covered-in-snow-and-i
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Make sure you know what to do when severe weather is forecast

I think the forecast was pretty good - the amount of snowfall in a swathe of 10/15 cms was a bit higher than predicted but made no big difference. The roads were a disgrace. Did any area have passable major roads last night ????   Temps were not that low to make grit unworkable. There was no rainfall to wash it away. 

Pretty sure that the system requires  overtime to make it work at times of high stress and on a Sunday with the current background, there was simply not enough gritting done.  Workers who haven’t had a pay rise were probably of the mindset that this was an opportunity to prove their worth! 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, PiscesStar said:

Your amusing aren't you ha ha such a joker 

We ended up with a decent cover when I went to bed in canterbury considering the day before. About 1-2cm on bins etc. a slushy mix on pavements and roads 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

I agree. The MetO forecast for this region was accurate and timely, given how the system played out. The warning was given - and was being questioned on this site! - in good time.

We seem to have an increasing tendency in this country to blame the authorities for everything that happens. Viruses, energy/food costs, a few inches of snow..! Stuff happens…

Sites/communities like this are full of people taking personal responsibility for understanding how weather (at least) might impact them. I think that is laudable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
6 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

We ended up with a decent cover when I went to bed in canterbury considering the day before. About 1-2cm on bins etc. a slushy mix on pavements and roads 

Same here in Herne just up the road from the town!

Posted

What a disgrace the gritters are here, didn't come out yesterday   despite gritting the previous days, only did the main roads. 

Obviously we missed the snow here again, but the sleety mix from yesterday has frozen and turned all the pavements and roads to ice. 

What am I paying 225 pound a month council tax for!! 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

It's lovely out there this morning, no wind, so the snow that fell last night is still stuck where it fell.

Posted

the one thing i noticed last night is that there was very little wind making it, to coin a phrase, deep and crisp and even. no drifting accumulations.

this mornings measurement is 4 inches now its compacted down since last night

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I think the forecast was pretty good - the amount of snowfall in a swathe of 10/15 cms was a bit higher than predicted but made no big difference. The roads were a disgrace. Did any area have passable major roads last night ????   Temps were not that low to make grit unworkable. There was no rainfall to wash it away. 

Pretty sure that the system requires  overtime to make it work at times of high stress and on a Sunday with the current background, there was simply not enough gritting done.  Workers who haven’t had a pay rise were probably of the mindset that this was an opportunity to prove their worth! 

I have just spent the last 2 1/2 hours driving down to Luton Airport and back. Snowing light/heavy all the way, with impressive amounts of snow down past Toddigton. Dare I say, Luton almost looked pretty..!!

Not a single gritter seen, either direction, on any road. Nothing on matrix other than 1 hour delays between 24 and 27 on M25, by the time I came back to the motorway it said M25 shut 24-27.

Tellingly, as you come off the motorway at Junc 10 on to the Luton Parkway, there was a large matrix sign stating  "Severe Weather, Gritting Commencing 1am"

By that time Luton would have had 4 hours snow.

As I approached Northampton, matrix signs said "Severe Weather in East, delays".(on the Northbound side...).

This all points to the B team being left in charge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, Dami said:

happy to report i've woken up about an inch and a half 👍

What made you shrink overnight??

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1