IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
21 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Thanks UKV!

Could contain:

Could contain:

Looking at the timing of those 2 charts, that is going to occur during the morning rush hour too and to continue through the day. Dangerous winds at any time but when most people are likely to be out travelling or day to day activities makes it twice as dangerous!  Glad I booked that day off work so I could get repair guy in for my flat, but honestly hope the guy stays home if these charts verify. A repair can wait. Stopping someone being injured (or worse) is WAY more important 

• Like 2

Posted

45.5mm so far today and 18.29mm yesterday so roughly 66mm overall from this system. 

And I see they’ve just issued an amber warning from 9:30pm until 1am for the IOW east towards Dungeness for all that rain moving across the Channel

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
3 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

45.5mm so far today and 18.29mm yesterday so roughly 66mm overall from this system. 

And I see they’ve just issued an amber warning from 9:30pm until 1am for the IOW east towards Dungeness for all that rain moving across the Channel

It’s grim isn’t it,?  I drove to Canterbury this morning and the road out from Icklesham to Winchelsea was as bad as I have ever known for flood water . My weather station has bust so can’t measure the rain but pretty sure it’s under the  ‘lots of’ category! I also just noticed the amber warning ⚠️ pop up not filled me with joy. Mind you my friend living in Guernsey is having a terrible time with a fireman having to pump water from the front of her property, she is right on the seafront and the pictures of the sea crashing over on to the road are quite something. 😨

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Will be interesting to see how this Amber warning plays out and if it will widen as it moves through.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

the rain is really coming down now, must be some flooding somewhere.

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

the rain is really coming down now, must be some flooding somewhere.

Torrential here with thunder and lightning. Some roads were flooded across Salisbury Plain driving back from the west country this afternoon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Just looking at the next 2 weeks, possible we could see at least 4 more name storms, incredible turnaround from last year, absolutely no signal for anything settled or cold at all

Posted

Didn't see  any lightning here last couple of days  but gusty winds and fair bit of rain last night ,but yea we have had a fair bit of rain but really only making up  for what didn't get lots of weeks  prior ,sort of self leveling shame water doesn't understand the flooding bit ...300 odd hours away but we will see if it still modeled in a week or two ..1987 anyone ...

Could contain:

Edited by TN9
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well, I've just looked outside, and marty pellow was there, certainly is wet wet wet, potential for some very very lively weather coming up. 

Edited by snowrye
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

The one thing I like about this weather is that it gives me a good excuse not to do anything 😀

Thursday looking a real mess at the moment, heavy rain and strong gusts!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

Storm Ciaran now named by the Met Office for Thursday with weather warnings for rain and damaging wind. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Thought this was going to be a nice day after the sunny start, how wrong was I! Had to dry the dog off twice already, looks like a lot more of this rubbish on the way!

How things have changed in just a matter of 2 weeks!

• Like 1

Posted

Seen a good rainbow having had another heavy shower.

• Like 2

Posted

As always as in early spring ,autumn we have , i  can see it but doesn't quite get here ,because usually it rides to the south ,not that Tonbridge is north but it  is to the people who live  south of it and if relatively warm waters is your fuel then the tanks empty by here ..but lovely cloudscapes ..(a northerners view of a southern shower ..:)  bit of an up date we  have some residual  over spill (rain ) core seems south of maidstone  with out looking at radar of course 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by TN9
  • Like 5

Posted

The M23 this lunchtime was more of a river than a motorway. Luckily everyone was driving sensibly, 40mph was as fast as you could safely go due to the amount of rain, spray and surface water.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
14 minutes ago, Bazza118 said:

The M23 this lunchtime was more of a river than a motorway. Luckily everyone was driving sensibly, 40mph was as fast as you could safely go due to the amount of rain, spray and surface water.

1 lane of Junction 5-4 of the M2 has been closed due to flooding according to the local news. 14 mile tailback apparently 

Edited by Vortex3929
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A very good Morning all,

S.E,. Regional Members. Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well. 

I wasn't at all surprised to hear about the flooding down at Hastings and along the Sussex Coast, to the Kent County border, on Saturday.

Neither this report of a mini Tornado, in Littlehampton during Saturday Evening. See report on link below:  

Tornado rips off roof in seaside town (msn.com)

With those still relatively high S,S,T.'s in the Channel, an unstable flow from the S.W. and coolish upper air, are all ingredients for some lively Thundery Showers, over those South Eastern coastal locations. 

Before I forget, must thank our own, Nick Finnis for the following extract from his "Severe Weather Watch", for Saturday Evening"

"Strong vertical shear and strong winds aloft are modelled across these areas this evening – which could allow convection to organise into bowing line segments and even low-topped supercells. Stronger updrafts may rotate and bring a tornado risk, given strong low-level shear. Also strong SWly winds aloft may be brought to the surface in downdrafts as strong convective gusts of 40-60mph locally. Intense rainfall is likely - leading to flash-flooding, while some lightning also possible with this convection, but generally isolated."

Fortunately I read the above, just as that "Biblical" rain dumped on S.E. London but after reading that lightning would be "generally isolated", was very brave and left my Laptop charger charging, and even when I heard a rumble of Thunder this Brontophobe didn't panic!! Lol.

Now, it's all eyes on this 'fella as it comes barrelling in from the S.W. Don't think you need to be a Meteorological Einstein to realise if these Forecast charts or close to being accurate, it could be very nasty for our Region come Thursday.  

image.thumb.png.3c94f79260151307b77cf2db72906ac7.png

Then some forecast models are going for a repeat performance. on  Saturday:  

GFS 00z SAT. 4th NOV. 12z

image.thumb.png.a7bb125b4efccb082efbe20b1357f945.png

Although just after a Month later than the severe flooding that struck our Region in September 1968, the current spell of very unsettled Weather, could result in similar scenes to those below, if continuing in a similar vein.

This was the scene in Widmore Road, in my home Town of Bromley, Kent/S,E. London border, at the time of that severe flooding.

image.thumb.png.9e70a5ec3269ca9bcad1c2be25f27136.png

I was 13 at the time and remember the flooding caused by the River Ravensbourne and Quaggy, that run through the London Borough of Bromley, when they broke their banks.

I'm sure those handful of S.E. Regional members that took advantage of S,E, Meteorologist Ian Currie's very generous Book/Magazine offer, would've read on pages 109 to 117 of the Kent Weather Book, of the devastation caused by those 1968 floods, to that County.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yuk I've just looked on will it be windy, and I have, thank goodness it's unlikely to be correct, 80+ mph winds Thursday and Friday, in fact the Friday wind peak at a higher 85.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

Extremely wet morning here, shower after shower. Very surprised no weather warning as lots of local flooding issues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Looking a real nasty week ahead. The timing of Thursday also is going to be chaos as it currently stands.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Batten down the hatches my fellow Southeasterners. Anyone else done one of these Ancestry tests theres a xmas sale on already. Ive discovered so many people I'm related to that were either friends or work colleagues its crazy funny thing is my dads not English! My Nans from Sussex grandads from East Kent. The family tree is superb they find 1000s potential names for you when you start a family tree! My grandad took rainfall recordings for Thanet he was a dairy farmer near Ashford/Canterbury

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2