Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

until the ecm shows its hand with regards snow id take this with a massive pinch of salt.....the GFS is just leading us up the garden path in my opinion....12z will likely backtrack. But we shall see......as always always an element of doubt.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

This is good old Bristol...Tuesday. Not so much the snaw but also potentially damaging winds. Will it happen? Is the GFS right? Of course it is

Screenshot_20220101-121526_XCWeather.jpg

Posted

Good to be kinda back for now lol!!!!had a nice 10 day break from this mild muck!!!my opinion but gfs is wrong very wrong and we gona see it backdown later on!!!i want it to be correct but it aint lol!!!hope it proves me wrong!!!anyway another 2 days of this mild boredom and things actually look pretty seasonal thereafter my peeps!!!oh latest cannon fodder icon is as far away from gfs as can be at 72 hours!!!it agrees with the mighty ecm instead!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Looking today at the models unless your a "soothsayer or time traveller" there's nothing out of the ordinary on the nhp. West to east movement pretty much standard for our area with the chance of a sse flow in fi. Not sure what's going on with this will it won't snow, looks like cooling down and that's it imo

Edited by swfc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
4 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

No, it isn't a replication of ECMWF deterministic (a common misconception). The BBC wx app - as with MeteoGroup/DTN's WeatherPro - is fed by DTN's proprietary MOS data, using statistical blend *including* ECMWF output. It can also be tweaked as needed throughout the day by DTN forecasters, who can 'group select' locations in a given area to update their respective site-specific solutions shown in the app (eg based on radar, obs etc).

Ahhhh ok , Thank you Ian 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Arpege & Icon in with no low on 4th.

The arpege is very close to the GFS if you ask me, let’s see what happens in 30 mins. I’ll be surprised if the GFS still has snow, if it does you’d think the UKMO will follow that!! 

E0B711F4-8166-432F-A0FE-4182132D4C5F.png

3D579C02-0CD7-4258-9F8A-F1CB6A834753.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

I’ve seen GFS get these shorter term outliers correct in the past. Not often but can definitely happened. 

The consistency between the 00 and 06 is important. 

Let’s see what the 12z brings  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The ICON keeps the feature very shallow and it runs into France without developing. The only sign is the associated frontal system that stays across Northern France. Essentially a non event.

Arpege

image.thumb.png.0dedba0a05d9a969e5980cd35966150f.png

Too far south and the rain only grazes the south coast before pulling away. On the other hand it does engage the Arctic airmass, it just isn’t enough north to benefit us as the rain turns to snow over France.

Hard to tell where the rest of the suite will go.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

The ICON keeps the feature very shallow and it runs into France without developing. The only sign is the associated frontal system that stays across Northern France. Essentially a non event.

Arpege

image.thumb.png.0dedba0a05d9a969e5980cd35966150f.png

Too far south and the rain only grazes the south coast before pulling away. On the other hand it does engage the Arctic airmass, it just isn’t enough north to benefit us as the rain turns to snow over France.

Hard to tell where the rest of the suite will go.

As per the latest Beeb forecast 

• Like 2

Posted

Ouch, I guess this was expected though!! 

19C9D262-B26F-48AF-AF60-7F1294D682F1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
12 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Arpege 12z was out @ 15.10 on Meteociel France view.

image.thumb.png.2ecf1d97413ec0ec892ec15e62a4f9ae.png

image.thumb.png.bb3147887a8eeb16dbff0f020defacc9.png

Snow moving south

Edited by winterof79

Posted

Now, is this where the ECM jumps on board !!  The GFS was only 100 miles off so it could still happen I guess!! 

6A757A88-A296-4D77-8BE9-E2060704E9BF.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1