Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
30 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Looking like game over the snow event - or more or less so - as GFS 12z removes it.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
25 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Looking like game over the snow event - or more or less so - as GFS 12z removes it.

LOL... theres some over reactions here... we are told not to compare a run with the previous but with the previous (in this case 12z) run.

The feature is still there, the threat/promise is still there, ok, some GFS runs did look dodgy and are unlikely to verify, but deciding on the detail for a marginal event 3 days away on the back of a percieved downgrade may well prove premature.

The threat is still there, some are likely to be lucky.

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, weathercold said:

There is some serious hopecasting on this forum at the moment. I appreciate many want snow but at times some posts are consistently unbalanced. I’m seeing nothing bar wintry showers on high ground up north and winds from a w/nw direction…cool not cold for early Jan. 

I agree it’s likely to disappear, it’s generally how it goes. But to have this as an ENS mean at only T72 isn’t bad. And it’s not like it’s skirting the south coast. MOGREPS and EC ENS had many similar !!

I am more convinced it will not happen through lack of tweets from any proper met people - or maybe they are just holding on for now just in case

04959CDF-2FAD-48C5-897C-745F62B1ECA9.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The snow event on Tuesday was always unlikely given how rare events like that are. Still it was on both the GFS and GEM, so it is worthy of discussion.

Moving onwards.. UKMO favouring a rather chilly pathway through the latter parts of this coming week.

image.thumb.gif.cc360363bf628702c00699e65c242590.gif

low heights so the likelihood of bands of showers moving from west to east under an airmass that might allow snow, even to low levels at times. We also have that gap that could allow some modest ridging to our west to veer the winds towards the north.

By the way the GEM is ridiculous, more for the severity of the winds towards to south west.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

LOL... theres some over reactions here... we are told not to compare a run with the previous but with the previous (in this case 12z) run.

The feature is still there, the threat/promise is still there, ok, some GFS runs did look dodgy and are unlikely to verify, but deciding on the detail for a marginal event 3 days away on the back of a percieved downgrade may well prove premature.

The threat is still there, some are likely to be lucky.

I agree the threat of snowfall has not gone away.However, the risk of the earlier disruptive snow type events shown on the gfs is diminishing given higher res output (arpege/icon), are trending away from the idea. These models have a better grip on short term cyclogenesis of which this system was dependent on, compared with the gem and the GEFS suite.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
Just now, Ali1977 said:

I agree it’s likely to disappear, it’s generally how it goes. But to have this as an ENS mean at only T72 isn’t bad. And it’s not like it’s skirting the south coast. MOGREPS and EC ENS had many similar !!

I am more convinced it will not happen through lack of tweets from any proper met people - or maybe they are just holding on for now just in case

Actually is mate if it doesn't happen seeing as we are talking 72 hours 

Posted

Oh, and hello GEM which pushed it further north 

85BD4181-4A7C-4FEC-A571-219806B85F20.png

97BB7F53-D576-4761-A472-00FE7EFC2368.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

And there it is gone.......the 06z southern snow event that is.......... wow what a surprise.

Can't even maintain continuity at 72 hrs.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Nothing would please me more Ali…let’s hope!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Here we go again, Chuckle gate

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
6 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I agree the threat of snowfall has not gone away.However, the risk of the earlier disruptive snow type events shown on the gfs is diminishing given higher res output (arpege/icon), are trending away from the idea. These models have a better grip on short term cyclognesis of which this system was dependent on, compared with the gem and the GEFS suite.

from my own pov, i didnt believe the blizzard scenario anyway and posted as much this morning (own site) .but it was something to watch, and imho still is. i think we are in agreement here..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
8 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

So both N American models giving  snow hmmmmmmmmm

Posted

Looking at the 12z gfs at 10 days "sorry not mentioning the will it won't event" the PV to the nnw looks pretty ominous to meIncreased Heighths to the sw also look none to good. Sorry if off topic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Wrf same as Arpege (non event).

UKV rolling out now.

UKV also a dud!!

536337EF-F348-4BA4-9E3B-AC98E815F28B.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Gem may get interesting in a few frames if it can maintain heights around Iceland

gemnh-0-150 (3).png

If T72 is so far wrong this won’t happen, showed similar this morning. ??

Posted

JMA firmly in the GEM/GEFS camp. Don’t worry, I agree it’s unlikely but I’m just showing the models!! 

AC10F0D8-FA69-42ED-B789-C85B6247679E.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Just out interest take a look at the ukmo and gem at 144 hrs comical

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2