Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

After a wet day yesterday (24.0mm), this morning has been next level! 49.4mm of rain SINCE MIDNIGHT, it has been absolutely torrential and isn't easing up just yet. Had a very loud crack of thunder about 10 minutes ago. I wonder what rain total we will end up on today?!

In the time I took to write this post, we are now up to 51.0mm

Incredible! Just up the road here 7mm yesterday and 1mm so far today 😮

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

After a wet day yesterday (24.0mm), this morning has been next level! 49.4mm of rain SINCE MIDNIGHT, it has been absolutely torrential and isn't easing up just yet. Had a very loud crack of thunder about 10 minutes ago. I wonder what rain total we will end up on today?!

If anyone moans about the Met Office warning being unwarranted they should be referred to your above information! 

Not everywhere but locally dangerous.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Torrential rain is about 5 minutes away with lightning detected - yet I’ve not heard any thunder yet, quite peculiar.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .
34 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

I'm in Taunton too ! Madness isn't it ? 

Looks like the sun is trying to poke through but I think it may only set off more thunder and rain . 

• Like 2

Posted

That did the trick - thunder heard just as the torrential rain arrived.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Torrential rain is about 5 minutes away with lightning detected - yet I’ve not heard any thunder yet, quite peculiar.

T&L coming up from your way now.

• Like 2

Posted

Had an absolutely classic moment - I was videoing some of the rain in hope of further thunder but to no avail. So, I took a break as the rain eased off… at which point lightning flickered nearly overhead and was followed almost immediately by tremendous clap of thunder, too quick for me to capture.

That proved be one of just three peels of thunder from the line and by far the most dramatic 😅

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Rain has just started here!   big drops 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I've woken up after a great sleep and just checked out the netweather radar. Well that's golf this afternoon cancelled! 🙂 

Oh well plenty of sport on tv to watch whilst the interesting weather outside chucks everything but the kitchen sink at us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
46 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Incredible! Just up the road here 7mm yesterday and 1mm so far today 😮

That's crazy! I have noticed the echoes have been moving NNW and staying south of you.

Posted
45 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

If anyone moans about the Met Office warning being unwarranted they should be referred to your above information! 

Not everywhere but locally dangerous.

Often with these warnings for storms I quite often miss out or don't get much. I never moan of course because I understand in these setups it can be quite localised, many don't understand that though. We are now up to 62.4mm of rain since midnight, rain has eased considerably now but I'm not sure we've seen the last of it.

• Insightful 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Somerset girl said:

I'm in Taunton too ! Madness isn't it ? 

Looks like the sun is trying to poke through but I think it may only set off more thunder and rain . 

It is crazy! I have never recorded so much rain in a 12 hour period! 62.4mm now!

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

Well it has stopped for now( north side of Taunton) ,  but looking on thr radar and "guestimating" a wee bit I think we are in for some more depends on the rotation .

I can see the trees moving a bit more now.  I think the thunder has gone as well . 

I'm tempted to go for a drive but the sensible part of me thinks it isn't a wise idea.

I find that it hammers down where I am but in the Blackbrook part of Taunton it can be bone dry and vice versa . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

That's crazy! I have noticed the echoes have been moving NNW and staying south of you.

Looks like setting in now. Rain has pepped up here. Not expecting thunder but a good soaking nonetheless!

Posted
Just now, Somerset girl said:

Well it has stopped for now( north side of Taunton) ,  but looking on thr radar and "guestimating" a wee bit I think we are in for some more depends on the rotation .

I can see the trees moving a bit more now.  I think the thunder has gone as well . 

I'm tempted to go for a drive but the sensible part of me thinks it isn't a wise idea.

I find that it hammers down where I am but in the Blackbrook part of Taunton it can be bone dry and vice versa . 

Yeah, seems like we have a dry slot for another hour or so at a guess then maybe another dose before it improves later I reckon. I'm on the southern edge of Taunton myself, and have known it many times to be raining in one part of town but not the other lol.

I used to live in Langport area, I expect the lanes around those parts are a bit dicey currently, be careful if you do go out :)

1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Looks like setting in now. Rain has pepped up here. Not expecting thunder but a good soaking nonetheless!

Yup, does seem to be shifting more north now! To be fair, there wasn't much thunder, the rain was the biggest story. Enjoy anyway!

Posted

Morning All, a mild night with a fair amount of cloud around, the low of 14.7°C at: 06:36, has slowly eased up to 16.9°C, RH95% with a 7mph light breeze from the E. Rainfall so far today is 13.7mm

From Above

image.thumb.png.aa8cadfeecc4b4154a22366170744064.png

Meanwhile the active part of the inbound is clearly to the east of us

image.thumb.png.9879dd558fe9b1581b448311193a273d.png

Posted

Just heavy rain here . 

The snap dragons look happy 😊 

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, nettie said:

The only rumbles I'm hearing is my stomach 🤣. I have been awake all night as our neighbour has kids windmills in their garden and one has developed  a squeak 😵‍💫 .  Going to message them in a bit and politely ask to oil it . 

Tell us what they say!

Heavy rain and 1 rumble of thunder. That's all I deserve lol

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Tell us what they say!

Heavy rain and 1 rumble of thunder. That's all I deserve lol

Their youngest has been having temper tantrums all morning  . So might leave it for a bit they sound frazzled . Yes I can here everything.  

At least you heard thunder.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Somerset Squall said:

Yeah, seems like we have a dry slot for another hour or so at a guess then maybe another dose before it improves later I reckon. I'm on the southern edge of Taunton myself, and have known it many times to be raining in one part of town but not the other lol.

My parents live in the south of Taunton . Crazy rain again after a lull. Met office spot on this time . 

I'm not going out in this , it would be very foolish to do so . 

I expect the levels will be a little damp in places too ! 

I used to live in Langport area, I expect the lanes around those parts are a bit dicey currently, be careful if you do go out :)

Yup, does seem to be shifting more north now! To be fair, there wasn't much thunder, the rain was the biggest story. Enjoy anyway!

16 minutes ago, nettie said:

Their youngest has been having temper tantrums all morning  . So might leave it for a bit they sound frazzled . Yes I can here everything.  

At least you heard thunder.

Oooh two year old,  tricky age that . Very difficult for you as well I imagine . 

• Like 1