Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Ah yes phones...been at new place for  2 months now.Engineer number 5 is with us today.7 weeks now without the ability to make outward bound calls.BT blame Openreach and you've guessed it Openreach blame BT.To add to the fun woman has offered 25 pounds compensation for 7 weeks...I thought it but didn't say it.Once this shambles is sorted next stop Offcom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
59 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I suggested to the neighbours to get their rubber dinghies ready for a high tide, but living 39m above sea level it would have to be a tsunami rather than high tide to reach here.

Dorset almighty builds his own ARK!! 😄🐠

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

They do, or should I say they do but its changing as BT roll out digital connectivity, and that will rely up you electricity in your local area as the phone will be plugged in to the router, which is of course plugged in to the house mains. Hence people without broadband need an older analogue capable configuration that still uses the 50v supply form the telephone line. As Beka was talking about the local cell repeater that may well be mains powered and drops when power cuts. Also found this:

Cell phone towers typically have backup power systems in place, such as batteries or generators, to ensure that they can continue to function in the event of a power outage. The length of time that a tower can continue to operate on backup power will depend on the specific model and configuration of the backup system, as well as the duration of the power outage.

In general, most cell phone towers are designed to continue operating for several hours on backup power, with some systems capable of providing power for up to 24 hours or more. However, it's important to note that the length of time that a tower can continue to operate on backup power will also depend on factors such as the level of usage on the tower, the condition of the backup power system, and the weather conditions.

It's also worth noting that during a widespread power outage, cell phone networks may prioritize certain types of traffic, such as emergency calls, over others in order to maintain the most critical communications.

Why did we have no phone coverage at all then? The mobiles went down at the same time as the electric went out!

Posted
17 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Why did we have no phone coverage at all then? The mobiles went down at the same time as the electric went out!

Somebody didn't put a pound in the meter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

It's not right nice out there now . Popped to the shops for a few bits and bobs for dinner and I was very damp under foot . 

I hope that all  of you with Amber  warnings will be ok in the coming days .

Yellow warning for me but I guess it could all change .

Chilly mornings at the moment but usually bright enough , temps around 14C midday/ afternoon  then chillier evenings.  

I wonder how I'll feel if we do get any significant cold weather ( apart from colder)!! I expect it will be quite a shock to the system . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Rain has finally set in. I was getting worried today, as there hadn't been any rain since the early hours of the morning.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Amber for wind and yellow for rain here on Thursday, with a forecast pressure of 952 hPa in the bullseye right over my house at 7 am.  😬 Bit scary, is that.

The lowest here in the last 11 years was 966 in November 2016. Meanwhile, I'm only about 12mm off my record October rainfall over the same period, I wonder how close I'll get before my midnight deadline.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just had a text message to say the roof ladder will be here tomorrow. I just hope the new super capacitor arrives as well. I dearly want to get my anemometer working before the storm arrives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very interesting couple of days coming up, it really is hard to tell how South Devon is going to fare with Storm Ciaran.

Doesn't seem to have generated much interest locally so far - strange seeing as we are under an Amber warning!

Certainly looks very concerning for the Channel Islands, Brittany etc., as things stand. Wouldn't take much for the really concerning winds to move into this part of the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
6 hours ago, jy said:

Ah yes phones...been at new place for  2 months now.Engineer number 5 is with us today.7 weeks now without the ability to make outward bound calls.BT blame Openreach and you've guessed it Openreach blame BT.To add to the fun woman has offered 25 pounds compensation for 7 weeks...I thought it but didn't say it.Once this shambles is sorted next stop Offcom.

I spent years working for network operators such as BT, O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, etc. mostly in operational support systems management. (i.e. the stuff that keeps the lights on.)

These companies are all getting worse, cutting costs and outsourcing work to service companies that don't care much about the quality of what they deliver. The fact that nobody can diagnose a problem as simple as making an outbound call just astounds me. It's almost certainly BT's fault, not Openreach's.

p.s. I still get bills of £0.00 every month from BT, despite leaving them in 2021! Seems like they have completely lost the plot.

Edited by dr weather
  • Thanks 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Very interesting couple of days coming up, it really is hard to tell how South Devon is going to fare with Storm Ciaran.

Doesn't seem to have generated much interest locally so far - strange seeing as we are under an Amber warning!

Certainly looks very concerning for the Channel Islands, Brittany etc., as things stand. Wouldn't take much for the really concerning winds to move into this part of the country.

Yep, looking nasty for CI and Brittany. Needless to say, these systems are very unpredictable and any of us could be on the wrong end of some very high winds.

Posted
1 minute ago, dr weather said:

I spent years working for network operators such as BT, O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, etc. mostly in operational support systems management. (i.e. the stuff that keeps the lights on.)

These companies are all getting worse, cutting costs and outsourcing work to companies that don't care much about the quality of what they deliver. The fact that nobody can diagnose a problem as simple as making an outbound call just astounds me. It's almost certainly BT's fault, not Openreach's.

p.s. I still get bills of £0.00 every month from BT, despite leaving them in 2021! Seems like they have completely lost the plot.

It's been a nightmare cannot believe the level of ineptitude masses of broken promises and lies.latest promise is tomorrow may well happen at long last but not really holding my breath.

• Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, jy said:

It's been a nightmare cannot believe the level of ineptitude masses of broken promises and lies.latest promise is tomorrow may well happen at long last but not really holding my breath.

Remind us where you live?

Posted
16 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Remind us where you live?

10 miles south of Salisbury

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny earlier before clouding over with a few showers during the afternoon. Persistent rain for most of the evening. Reached 15.0°C

Posted

My 11 year October rainfall record was broken, 218mm (242%) in the end. Squelch. Next challenge: November and all-time lowest pressure and highest wind gust attempts coming up soon😯!

Posted

As they say, the calm before the storm.
Now, Wind, SW 6mph.
Some light grey cloud with plenty of blue sky.
A few rain showers early morning around 2am to 4am, 2mm, dry now.

Early forecasts have us down for the wind to pick up at 10pm tonight, all through the night and day tomorrow until midnight Thursday.
25-36 mph winds, with 43-62mph gusts.
Strongest spells from midnight into the early hours.

• Like 1

Posted

Very breezy this morning, we are high up nr Kingsbridge. Several showers already.

Drove home on M5 last night and visibility was dreadful from Weston jct onwards with all the spray. Thankfully standing water not too bad, but a few dicey sections getting home!

The associated rainfall over next day or so could also have significant impacts, not just the wind. Ground is certainly saturated and rain has nowhere to go other than running off fields.

Posted

Morning All, a damp, yet sunny start to the day, with some feisty showers around. The overnight low of 10.6°C at: 09:04 has risen to 11.9°C, RH93% with 8.4mm to kick the rain total off for the month.

From Above

image.thumb.png.e5bb4e1900cd0cd538feeb3d8b797ef6.png

On Golden sands

image.thumb.png.e5612b9de765808e84eefb9ee794f805.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Must say I'm surprised that they didn't issue a red warning for parts of Cornwall.

My guess is that the Met Office feel that the low is tracking too far to the south to merit that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Well thats the hatches battened down, namely our gazebo we put up for shade in the summer has been put into hibernation.

• Like 3