Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Storm force winds then SW,not this modern strong winds or extremely strong winds what is that all about,new term..

No need to worry @Snowyowl9, those 'modern' words aren't aimed at us, but at all those poor, benighted souls who aren't conversant with the Beaufort Scale!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agreed. A camping stove is great in these situations to cook with/heat water, can get one in Halfords for a tenner (don’t forget to get some gas canisters)

Not needed:

snapshotimagehandler_1826469521.jpeg?h=5

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nope we still gotta go out in it!!!

"Dear Parents,

The BBC weather website is forecasting 70mph and 80mph winds between 8.30am and 12pm.

Please take care tomorrow when bringing your child to school. We will keep the children in at breaktime if we need to and we will consider doing the same at lunchtime. The children's safety is always our priority."Thanks!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Steel City Skies said:

It is six of one and half a dozen of the other. One person's downgrade is someone else's upgrade with this evolving situation. What @JamesC is arguing is trivial and needless as run to run we will see the peak gusts slightly alter - for some decreasing, for others increasing. It remains a very dangerous storm.

Indeed. Its yet to undergo cyclogenesis so room for variation on speeds and track. 

Edited by stokepa31
Sp
  • Like 2

Posted

Am I detecting some big unknowns in the forecasts because of the Arome feature over the Midlands and East Anglia on the back-end of the storm. 

I've not seen the pink wind map beyond 14:00 in any of the Met Office forecasts. Sorry if it's a stupid question but is that Arome map showing a potential sting-jet over Central England towards dusk?  

Edit, here's AROME at 13:00 and 14:00 showing the feature and its effects for Cambridge. 

Screenshot 2022-02-17 133703.png

Screenshot 2022-02-17 133745.png

Edited by Wivenswold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Nope we still gotta go out in it!!!

"Dear Parents,

The BBC weather website is forecasting 70mph and 80mph winds between 8.30am and 12pm.

Please take care tomorrow when bringing your child to school. We will keep the children in at breaktime if we need to and we will consider doing the same at lunchtime. The children's safety is always our priority."Thanks!!

This school of yours sucks, Beka… massively over-reaching on their policies on covid, but quite happy for the kids to go out in a hurricane. 

If this storm is anything like forecast, my kids are staying in the house.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Saint coolio said:

This school of yours sucks, Beka… massively over-reaching on their policies on covid, but quite happy for the kids to go out in a hurricane. 

If this storm is anything like forecast, my kids are staying in the house.

We have to walk to school ... up a hill too!! Frinking terrified I am!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just seen on BBC news that all schools will be closed in Wales tomorrow and all trains cancelled. Hopefully other businesses will do the same so there are less people travelling during rush hour when it's due to hit.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

Just seen on BBC news that all schools will be closed in Wales tomorrow and all trains cancelled. Hopefully other businesses will do the same so there are less people travelling during rush hour when it's due to hit.

Getting info from friends in the area that many schools will be closed across North Devon tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Posted

Very impressed with the actions of Welsh local authorities in the red zone. Wise and considered choices in relation to schools.

Save for the ones who are still carrying on collecting recycling tomorrow!

Posted

BBC weather has wind gust to 89/92/94/92 over 4 hours in Southampton tomorrow.     This had better be wrong or it b100dy-well ought to be a Red warning if true!!!..   

(live in bottom right hand corner of Wiltshire, got an appointment in Southampton tomorrow AM)

Edited by southern_softie
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, southern_softie said:

BBC weather has wind gust to 89/92/94/92 in Southampton tomorrow.     This had better be wrong or it b100dy-well ought to be a Red warning if true!!!..   

(live in bottom right hand corner of Wiltshire, got an appointment in Southampton tomorrow AM)

Apps will be all over the place at the moment. I'd stick with human forecasters or reading the maps yourself at a time like this. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

We have to walk to school ... up a hill too!! Frinking terrified I am!

It's the day before half term anyway and with the exception wind, the kids aren't exactly going to be concentrating on learning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
24 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agreed. A camping stove is great in these situations to cook with/heat water, can get one in Halfords for a tenner (don’t forget to get some gas canisters)

True . I have just checked mine and the cannisters. Also make sure you know where candles/matches/lighters together with torches and batteries. Charge up all laptops/ipads and mobile phones  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Starting to get a bit windy here, but nothing like what is coming tomorrow morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
50 minutes ago, MR CB said:

Someone mentioned Feshwater on the Isle Of Wight as the BBC website is showing insane gust speeds for tommorrow morning - 115mph!

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for Freshwater.

I do not recall seeing such high gust speeds for a long time - I've experienced 70-75mph once here in Eastbourne. I hope people notice the warnings and take exceptional care.

Freshwater does this every time on the BBC forecast. It had similar gusts for Bella during Christmas 2020, but in reality the real life gusts weren't close to being that powerful.

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, southern_softie said:

BBC weather has wind gust to 89/92/94/92 over 4 hours in Southampton tomorrow.     This had better be wrong or it b100dy-well ought to be a Red warning if true!!!..   

Waves hi

Posted
1 minute ago, jimben said:

True . I have just checked mine and the cannisters. Also make sure you know where candles/matches/lighters together with torches and batteries. Charge up all laptops/ipads and mobile phones  

Ahh old fashioned range style gas hob here, don't need electrickery to work, can do soup, stews, veg, porridge, bowl water for tea and coffee etc

• Like 1

Posted

The BBC is now showing me 7 hours of winds gusting over 70mph approaching 80mph at times. Many trees won't be able to stand this

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

I would have thought everywhere should just have a delayed start tomorrow morning, at very least, businesses, schools, shops, etc.

Who knows, it may not be as bad as feared in some places, but with the chance of a 100mph sting jet around, it's not worth the risk.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

Sorry, this is not quite right. They said RCT have announced closures, nowhere else.

Wales Online currently reporting RCT, Swansea & Merthyr are closing all schools. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/storm-eunice-full-list-schools-23128905

Would expect more councils will follow suit.