Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

It's most likely because I live in the Southern part, even on though I'm about 200 meters the clay pit hilly areas are the saving grace.

The higher resolution models do show that the southern part isn't hit anywhere near as hard as the coast, hence why the red warning was restricted to the North of the county.

Still early days though, winds will remain high for the next 3-4hrs there, even if they don't get to the absolute peaks seen elsewhere.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

9am icon estimate:

image.thumb.png.380bfde3e945684070734eb174901c79.png

note that the stronger winds are only just starting to push into the broader SW in the next 30 minutes.

Also interestingly some parts of the SW stay relatively lower compared with the red alert areas (indeed pockets within the red alert stay lower as well).

Should see a pretty rapid shift in the higher wind zone eastwards in the next 2hrs.

Yep the Met Office spot on so far, although Plymouth and Portland might beg to differ with 67mph and 75mph so far respectively.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Electricity repair estimate from ESB 12:45, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt given the work they'll have today.

When the wind arrives, it doesn't provide much warning!
Screenshot_20220218-093019_Chrome.thumb.jpg.33bb79df5dee73f1ef71b53f7009d0cb.jpg

As we can't see the times on there, what's the time between that lull and the rapid ramp up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
5 minutes ago, Holsbols said:

Quite a few strong gusts in the market harborough area, any idea when the peak is going to hit in Leicestershire ? Seen so many different predictions of max wind speed, not sure which ones to trust 

Around lunchtime 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

The higher resolution models do show that the southern part isn't hit anywhere near as hard as the coast, hence why the red warning was restricted to the North of the county.

Still early days though, winds will remain high for the next 3-4hrs there, even if they don't get to the absolute peaks seen elsewhere.

Yep the Met Office spot on so far, although Plymouth and Portland might beg to differ with 67mph and 75mph so far respectively.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
2 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Talking about 8am-9am.

Riight. 

So what you're saying is that, during a period several hours before the peak, your peak was below the peak, yes?

okay. 

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Electricity repair estimate from ESB 12:45, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt given the work they'll have today.

When the wind arrives, it doesn't provide much warning!
Screenshot_20220218-093019_Chrome.thumb.jpg.33bb79df5dee73f1ef71b53f7009d0cb.jpg

Wow, that's abrupt! 

Hope you get your electric back on soon - many thanks for your updates, they've helped me explain to friends that it isn't *only* Britain being affected by this...!  

• Like 2

Posted

Barely a breeze here and sun breaking through.

I have a long-awaited hospital appointment in Cambridge at 11.00, about 7 miles drive.  I was considering cancelling it if we went to a red warning but I think I'll set off early and hope I'm able to get back to the village without delays, the dogs will be indoors.  I'm constantly worried about tiles coming off, I'm an older female and not for hopping up ladders, and it's a nightmare getting tradespeople to come even in good weather, but if the roof is going to get a hole it's going to happen whether I'm indoors or not.  Prepared for power cuts, hope for the best.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, BleakMidwinter said:

Riight. 

So what you're saying is that, during a period several hours before the peak, your peak was below the peak, yes?

okay. 

I am not saying that, so stop the sarcasm.

What I am saying is the wind gusts for 8am-9am peaked at 45mph for that hour, whereas the forecasts all had it peaking for that hour at 60mph+. What this could show is the system may be potentially weaker for my area than models previously suggested.

• Like 1

Posted

92 mph in Isle of wight

1 minute ago, Liam Burge said:

What I am saying is the wind gusts for 8am-9am peaked at 45mph for that hour, whereas the forecasts all had it peaking for that hour at 60mph+. What this could show is the system may be potentially weaker for my area than models previously suggested.

or it is slower than predicted

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Here's a few leaves down in Devon...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, AmberRose said:

I’ve been watching the below, I think it’s snowing now?

https://www.porthcawl-lifeboat.co.uk/live-streaming/

Conditions really deteriorating on this webcam. High tide was a good 2.5 hours ago, but the stronger winds coming in look like they are pushing the tide back in!  Really good job this wasn’t two hours or so ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Liam Burge said:

Ah right! Thanks, I was confused there! Yes, that makes sense...  

I think one factor might be that the start of the Red was pushed back a little to start at 7am - last night it was a 5am expected start and iirc originally 3am, so presumably the whole thing has approached slightly later than originally expected?

I know a lot of coastal places are hugely relieved that their high tide has now been and gone and is starting to recede, prior to the storm surge arriving, where originally it looked as if the surge and high water would coincide disastrously... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, khodds said:

Just picked up an email from one of our transport companies, apparently a lorry has already been turned over on the M5

Hope you stayed home. Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

A few miles inland from the Needles and it's been wild so far, with much worse to come.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Just woke up under an hour ago and the first thing I saw on my phone was my dad sending pics of our area being in the red zone, it's windy out there currently but nothing out of the ordinary for a windy day yet. 

• Like 2

Posted

On a non windy topic although is a bit blowy, thought you like a pic of a tiny bit of snow on the Scottish pentland hills. Cans of soup on standby for getting snowed in later

PXL_20220218_094428715.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Porto said:

People acting like the storm is half way over the UK already 

They are going by normal type storms, the front is through, it's usually over, but this time the storm is behind the front. I would expect by now, I'm behind at the minute, winds are picking up in those calm areas.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Danimal81 said:

On a non windy topic although is a bit blowy, thought you like a pic of a tiny bit of snow on the Scottish pentland hills. Cans of soup on standby for getting snowed in later

PXL_20220218_094428715.jpg

Beautiful. Thanks for that.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, The Real Snowman said:

Hope you stayed home. Cheers

Yeah I’m home safe at the moment 

• Like 4