Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Going off topic a bit, I think I may have found the reason as to why Crewe seems to have its own microclimate in winter (snow melting even when DPs are below 0 etc). Apparently we're one of just a handful of areas within the UK where geothermal energy can be harnessed...there is apparently a reservoir of heat under this location.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
17 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

Wetting drizzle this evening.

Aye it’s just reached here.

still muggy but yesterdays record breaking temperatures seem a distant memory now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

A much fresher day - 20c with variable cloud and some pleasant brightness, a strong gusty wind at times. Chance of some further bursts of warmth as we head into late July/ August but thankfully not to the extremes of the past 48 hrs. I like heat but not dangerous heat & wildfires.

Important to note also is how climate change is & will bring extremes of all weathers - rain, heat & drought, wind/thunderstorms & cold such as the BFTE in 2018. I think in the next decade or so we’ll see Manchester summers similar to what London typically experiences 24-26c on average by day in July-Aug with London, East Anglia & the SE seeing a more continental type of summer climate of long hot often dry spells often in the high 20c’s- to low 30’s. Extreme temperatures of 35c+  like we’ve just experienced maybe not a regular occurrence but warmer summers with greater potential for extremes for sure. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 5

Posted

A much more humid day and despite a max 10 degrees lower than yesterday at 23 degrees it felt nearly as uncomfortable on account of it. 

Thankfully a cooler night ahead. 

Looking forward to some much needed rain over the weekend. We haven't seen anything from this breakdown unusually. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Yes thankfully we're not staring down the barrel of ridiculous heat again, it can stay where it belongs in Spain, but we still have August yet so ample time for another torture sweatfest. Once we get past mid August though plumes do tend to have a bit less ooomph about them as solar polar is steadily on the wane amongst other warming variables. So still a good 3 weeks of high summer left.

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes thankfully we're not staring down the barrel of ridiculous heat again, it can stay where it belongs in Spain, but we still have August yet so ample time for another torture sweatfest. Once we get past mid August though plumes do tend to have a bit less ooomph about them as solar polar is steadily on the wane amongst other warming variables. So still a good 3 weeks of high summer left.

Hoping we don't see anything close to yesterday again this year. It can stay away.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Damslawdamslaw said:

Hoping we don't see anything close to yesterday again this year. It can stay away.

Or ever

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Tonight was the first night I looked out of the window and thought it was later than it was. Was pitch black by 10.45 with cloud cover. Up until a week ago there was still a glow to the sky. Nights starting to rapidly pull in now.

We'll be losing 3 minutes a day in less than a week's time

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Damslawdamslaw said:

A much more humid day and despite a max 10 degrees lower than yesterday at 23 degrees it felt nearly as uncomfortable on account of it. 

Thankfully a cooler night ahead. 

Looking forward to some much needed rain over the weekend. We haven't seen anything from this breakdown unusually. 

Windermere really need rain!? Everything is fairly green around here, goodness me even during the heatwave we still manage too see some rain from a convective shower! 

Been drizzling since late evening here, ground soaking wet. London could of done with this stalling weather front really. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Windermere really need rain!? Everything is fairly green around here, goodness me even during the heatwave we still manage too see some rain from a convective shower! 

Been drizzling since late evening here, ground soaking wet. London could of done with this stalling weather front really. 

Rivers and reservoirs are low.. but yes compared to much of the UK we've done better for rain in recent weeks. Also apart from the 3 day hot spell just gone temps have by and large been near average so the ground is not scorched. Grass turning a brown tinge but still very much a green scene. Interestingly the light rain just missed Windermere this eve.. it was raining in Kendal but not here.. very odd as the cold front moved in from the west.. don't normally see it pep up as it moves east.. 

Edited by Damslawdamslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A damp and muggy start to the day but no meaningful rain overnight.

maybe something more substantial in the form of showers tomorrow but it’s still a predominantly dry forecast for the next few days and much as don’t want to see rain spoiling my summer, the ground and reservoirs certainly need it.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Few from a tinder dry Purbeck (Dorset) Every blade is straw  Convection let go Tuesday a nice display  

Believe it’s been a bit hot in Lancashire? 

Still alive 

F6BCC260-61DF-4B9C-8FFF-919058D803DA.thumb.jpeg.90a5cb67d188bf18f80d202bde77849e.jpeg

B78DAF1E-24BA-40BC-980B-4A3DD8B9DE36.thumb.jpeg.2104022df9df12196a37a717a18f4a2d.jpeg

4498CCCA-FA85-41F7-8120-94FA3228A008.thumb.jpeg.e0e9ff854b1180de202fb73193d89767.jpeg

4393F121-3172-4F9A-9E7B-1AFA7A5157F2.thumb.jpeg.82bc9c6cc1745328106181475f303703.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

2mm rain/drizzle… back to gorillas in mist with hills obscured… hopefully some meaningful rain over the next 24hours…  felt quite warm & humid in Manchester yesterday… saw online about the various fires yesterday… including this at crowden nearby 

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

A helicopter is are being used to dump water on the blaze in the hills near Crowden in Derbyshire

• Like 5

Posted

Non stop fine drizzle.  Netweather forecast doesn't seem to have noticed.

Festival time for midges and slugs.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Down at Pride Park/ Derby Arena for my stepson's graduation. 

After being dry, it's now heavy drizzle.  So much for the forecast.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Down at Pride Park/ Derby Arena for my stepson's graduation. 

After being dry, it's now heavy drizzle.  So much for the forecast.

Hope you all have good day despite drizzle… should be brighter this afternoon… according to forecast… 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Dry and cloudy all day but sunny now. 19.1°C.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Another dry day today, but cloudy. Looks like we may finally get some significant rain tomorrow, which is needed to be honest.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes it’s felt a lot more comfortable today but damp, drizzly conditions with low cloud covering the tops doesn’t cut it for me in high summer.

If it’s a choice between the heat and sunshine of Monday and Tuesday against the damp, gloom conditions of today, I’ll take the heatwave although I think an AC in the bedroom would be a definite investment.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yes it’s felt a lot more comfortable today but damp, drizzly conditions with low cloud covering the tops doesn’t cut it for me in high summer.

If it’s a choice between the heat and sunshine of Monday and Tuesday against the damp, gloom conditions of today, I’ll take the heatwave although I think an AC in the bedroom would be a definite investment.

Yep, must feel a bit like of a come down from early week conditions.  Mid -Summer gloom is depressing but I am sure its better than those horrible rainy and windy conditions off the Irish Sea . Maybe the more acceptable warmth ☀  will return by weekend. Hopefully, for you guys.

C

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Brightened up a bit with occasional drizzle here in Derby. 

Tomorrow looks good for the plants and garden. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

It's not been all that bad in this part of the region. Yes, its been overcast, but its been dry, so a perfectly useable day and I'd certainly take these conditions over the ridiculously high temperatures at the start of the week. At least things are comfortable for outdoor activities and the house doesn't feel like a sauna 24/7. Not a comedown for me. Indeed, a big improvement.

• Like 5