Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted

Chilly in the breeze, overcast… lookslike a period of very windy weather overnight tonight through first thing tomorrow… Peak District forecast going for gusts upto 60mph… obviously uncertainty in forecast still… 

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
28 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Chilly in the breeze, overcast… lookslike a period of very windy weather overnight tonight through first thing tomorrow… Peak District forecast going for gusts upto 60mph… obviously uncertainty in forecast still… 

Could contain:

Is that applies to Glossop @WillinGlossop? our altitude is 170 asl where we are pikes lane..

Edited by raul_sbd
  • Like 6

Posted

Oh joy the dreaded SW airstream in full excelsis! Destest it! Current temp 14.8 degrees, probably the low tonight.. Incessant rain or drizzle, cloud covering valley bottoms, never see the Lake District brochures show such conditions, but alas plague these parts far far far too often.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

We shall see… it’ll be windy overnight & tomorrow… bit more sheltered in pikes lane… 

I moved to Glossop to avoid sheltering and you telling me I will have it at Pikes lane lol 🙂 only joking lol.. hopefully can see some differences between Sale and Glossop tbf

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
8 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

I moved to Glossop to avoid sheltering and you telling me I will have it at Pikes lane lol 🙂 only joking lol.. hopefully can see some differences between Sale and Glossop tbf

Wait until the wind comes from the East. It gets very gusty around here.

• Like 7

Posted
29 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Wait until the wind comes from the East. It gets very gusty around here.

So... for snow ideally where do we need it to come from N - NW - E or NE considering Glossop position?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Pretty grim day the kind of weather I’m glad when darkness falls so I don’t have to look at it,quite breezy too

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

An overcast, but dry morning here and then the rain moved in early afternoon and was persistent for a couple of hours. A drier interlude now, but looks like further bursts of rain likely on and off throughout the evening and overnight with a windy end to the night.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A dry morning followed by an increasingly lousy afternoon of light rain interspersed with moderate rain and heavy rain.

nothing like a bit of variation in wetness😂

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

January feel to things now, warmer in dull/wet than in clear/sunny, not expected to drop much below 15 degrees tonight, in SW winds and mild sector

• Like 8

Posted

Steady rain at the moment, calm for now and feeling quite mild.  As already stated, it's going to be a windy old night for the region, gusts peaking here in the early hours.

Could contain:

• Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A dry morning followed by an increasingly lousy afternoon of light rain interspersed with moderate rain and heavy rain.

nothing like a bit of variation in wetness😂

Did you manage to get your conservatory roof sorted ?  

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, raul_sbd said:

So... for snow ideally where do we need it to come from N - NW - E or NE considering Glossop position?

Anything snowy coming from the south fizzles with ne/e wind normally… storm Emma being an exception in March 2018 (since I’ve been living here) had powder snow with 2-3 foot drifts…4-6ft higher up… we  do well with frontal systems but depends on trajectory and wind direction here… streamers off the Irish Sea can bring the goods… 

wind wise if we get gales/storm with winds from east/north we can get increased gusts from effect of hills… in summer we can get fohn effect with southerly/se winds 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

Did you manage to get your conservatory roof sorted ?  

I think so, the outlets were a bit gunged up with leaves and it coped during a pretty decent reservoir filler on Saturday so hopefully it’s ok again.

the lesson learned is to not leave it almost two years before I clean the gutters out again.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Typical overcast, damp and breezy October day. It has been mild though, max 16.3, min 12.8, still 15.1 now with 96% humidity. A very mild night.

• Like 5

Posted
5 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Steady rain at the moment, calm for now and feeling quite mild.  As already stated, it's going to be a windy old night for the region, gusts peaking here in the early hours.

Could contain:

Meh, 30-40 mph wind gusts is hardly noteworthy for October.

5 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

January feel to things now, warmer in dull/wet than in clear/sunny, not expected to drop much below 15 degrees tonight, in SW winds and mild sector

Yeah we are in a proper zonal pattern now, high-pressure to the south low-pressure to the north. Wetter than average in the north and dryer than average in the south and all areas milder than average.

We’ll soon be hearing that familiar phrase on the tv weather forecasts “at least it will be mild” 😂

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Still a bit warm but pouring down

Still dry here (I think), I will probably get it in a bit, you’re just down the road from me.

5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Looking a notably wet period ahead... October most of the time is a washout.

Doesn’t look too bad here, still plenty of dry weather between weather systems. Had a look at the precipitation predictions, wetter than average for Scotland, drier than average for the south and the midlands, near average rainfall for north west England. All areas milder than average. 

The temperatures have been very consistent recently in the mild 13 to 16° range. October is the most boring month of the year. Too late for some summer warmth  but still too early for anything wintry. It is closest to Long term averages.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
15 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Back from a quick visit to see friends in N Yorkshire. A really blowy return at lunchtime and rain not far away I believe. 

Yes. Back from a York stopover. Went through Middleham to Hawes had to detour around to get on to the Ribblehead B6255 everything totally closed in.

Challenging drive and it’s only October. 

• Like 6