Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Mild weather for the forseeable. I still hoping for a change in the new month.  The models last few days makes me wanna 🤢

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

As I said in another thread, I went out for a walk last night, and was overdressed. It's just not cold, barely cool, even at 9 o'clock - in late October. It looks like autumn, but it doesn't quite feel like it.....

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Good afternoon all,

Bit rainy here at the mo, mild though.

November GFS coming into range, keeping a keen eye on mid-month as the Met seem to suggest an early shot of Winter. As CS has already stated they even mention the S word, interesting to mention that so far out. Goes along with the suggestion of a cold start to the season from the long range models. 🤔

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

Good afternoon all,

Bit rainy here at the mo, mild though.

November GFS coming into range, keeping a keen eye on mid-month as the Met seem to suggest an early shot of Winter. As CS has already stated they even mention the S word, interesting to mention that so far out. Goes along with the suggestion of a cold start to the season from the long range models. 🤔

6z shows a marked change by 2 weeks time, heights transfer west and we open ourselves to much more of a polar influence.. mind the models were showing this happening for now a couple of weeks back.. delayed..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted
4 hours ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

As I said in another thread, I went out for a walk last night, and was overdressed. It's just not cold, barely cool, even at 9 o'clock - in late October. It looks like autumn, but it doesn't quite feel like it.....

Best that can be said for the weather at the moment is that it is very "useable" between the bands of rain.  Managed to sit out in shorts and T-shirt watching the kids play in our sandpit for an hour on Saturday.  Very pleasant and I'm sure the vitamin D top up was valuable too.  There has been plenty of grey murk and heavy rain mixed in too though.  

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

6z shows a marked change by 2 weeks time, heights transfer west and we open ourselves to much more of a polar influence.. mind the models were showing this happening for now a couple of weeks back.. delayed..

Glad this is the case, the further into November the better........ I know I say this most years but maybe just maybe a better/colder/snowier Winter is on the way.

• Like 7

Posted

Let's leave this here to give us hope of a good start.

Could contain: Text, Page, Document, Label

I'll settle for an inch of hail this year, honestly that's how desperate it's become.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Our heaviest snowfall of last winter happened in November so technically not even winter but it was enough to call of our match with less than an hour to kickoff and it gave me a 2 hour journey back home.

as for the winter that followed, even up here it pretty much ended before December.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Good evening all.

Typically,  I need to go to the local shop and the heavens opened.

Its been a usable day weather wise, neatened up the garden and picked the last of the tomatoes from the hanging baskets, sweated about 40000 leaves up from the tree at the front then had 40 winks.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
11 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Good evening all.

Typically,  I need to go to the local shop and the heavens opened.

Its been a usable day weather wise, neatened up the garden and picked the last of the tomatoes from the hanging baskets, sweated about 40000 leaves up from the tree at the front then had 40 winks.

You counted them 😮😂

• Like 7

Posted

Put out the food bin and got soaked… short sharp shower… 10mm on rain gauge….

Cut each others hair with our clippers this morning in garage and put up Halloween 👻 🎃 decs… my husband’s birthday is Halloween 🎃 doing fireworks 🎆 🎇💥 Sunday 6th as 5th were at football… then my birthday on 10th November and then we’re away 🙌🏻🥳 

• Like 9

Posted
31 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Our heaviest snowfall of last winter happened in November so technically not even winter but it was enough to call of our match with less than an hour to kickoff and it gave me a 2 hour journey back home.

as for the winter that followed, even up here it pretty much ended before December.

Yes, that was my memorable snow fall from last year, 27th and 28th of Nov, it was in the wake of storm Arwen.  Had about 3cm here in Macc, drifts 15 to 25ft at Buxton.  Beautiful scenes over Rivington Pike when coming home from Blackpool.  -3° and freezing fog meant it hung about till the next morning, then it thawed.  Other snow events were icing sugar dustings.  Oh fond memory. Sigh.

• Like 8

Posted

Some beefy showers rattling through now

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Only decent fall of snow here last winter, well technically it was Autumn was the few inches we had at the back end of November. The winter itself though one of the poorest ever, right up there with 2013-14. Albeit less stormy than that winter. It's just alarming that two of the most rubbish winters of my lifetime have occurred within 10 years of each other. At least in the "mild phase" of the late 1990s to late 2008 we had topplers that gave an inch or two a few times in those winters. Nowadays even that's getting hard to come by!

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Only decent fall of snow here last winter, well technically it was Autumn was the few inches we had at the back end of November. The winter itself though one of the poorest ever, right up there with 2013-14. Albeit less stormy than that winter. It's just alarming that two of the most rubbish winters of my lifetime have occurred within 10 years of each other. At least in the "mild phase" of the late 1990s to late 2008 we had topplers that gave an inch or two a few times in those winters. Nowadays even that's getting hard to come by!

2016-17, 2015-16, 2019-20 nearly as snowless as 2013-14 and last winter, 5 shockers in 10 years. 2018-19 not much better, and 2014-15 below par as well. Only 17-18 and 20-21 I'd class as average.  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
24 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

2016-17, 2015-16, 2019-20 nearly as snowless as 2013-14 and last winter, 5 shockers in 10 years. 2018-19 not much better, and 2014-15 below par as well. Only 17-18 and 20-21 I'd class as average.  

Depends where you are in the region though. Had a couple of snow coverings in those first two winters you mention that brought more than just a dusting as seen below. Had a decent fall in March 2016 too. Not winter technically speaking though but not far off.

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

Snow has been falling across the borough and you've been sending us your pictures of the scenes where you live.
201637_122544.jpg
WWW.OLDHAM-CHRONICLE.CO.UK

Traffic chaos, suspended bus services and the closure of around 80 local schools followed the fall of up to 30cm of...

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Depends where you are in the region though. Had a couple of snow coverings in those first two winters you mention that brought more than just a dusting as seen below. Had a decent fall in March 2016 too. Not winter technically speaking though but not far off.

WWW.MANCHESTEREVENINGNEWS.CO.UK

Snow has been falling across the borough and you've been sending us your pictures of the scenes where you live.
201637_122544.jpg
WWW.OLDHAM-CHRONICLE.CO.UK

Traffic chaos, suspended bus services and the closure of around 80 local schools followed the fall of up to 30cm of...

Only remember one snowfall winter 15-16, about 2 inches mid Jan, thawed next day. 2016-17 almost same thing happened same time period. Perhaps had a dusting or two Feb-Mar 16, it turned colder but mostly just frost. Most of winter 16-17 was just dry and mild.

• Like 6

Posted
20 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

12c now at this time roasting 

Lol 😂 

• Like 5

Posted
31 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

12c now at this time roasting 

Nothing unusual for a Oct evening. Southerly and south westeely airflows should result in such temps in October.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Nothing unusual for a Oct evening. Southerly and south westeely airflows should result in such temps in October.

Fohn effect might give some unseasonably high temps around here Thursday… wouldn’t be suprised if somewhere hit 20-22c maybe higher…

• Like 6

Posted

Off to Blackpool for the day.

Seems like a decent window of weather before it goes downhill this evening.

• Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Off to Blackpool for the day.

Seems like a decent window of weather before it goes downhill this evening.

Lovely, a well deserved day out for you, you've had a lot going on lately, fish, chips, mushy peas for your tea perhaps.

Stunning sunny start to the day here at lower altitudes, looks quite foggy on the tops.  Calm night min of 10°.

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Lovely, a well deserved day out for you, you've had a lot going on lately, fish, chips, mushy peas for your tea perhaps.

Stunning sunny start to the day here at lower altitudes, looks quite foggy on the tops.  Calm night min of 10°.

Normally that's the case but gluten free option for Tom, is the problem. Possibly Nandos instead.

• Like 6