Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Did anyone buy one?

Of course we're British! I say we ... Daniel and the kids did. Too cold for me! Plenty of other people were too though

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Christ on a bike, reading back the last couple of pages has this thread turned into Mums.net tonight?

Yes! Have you enjoyed learning about hormones?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yes! Have you enjoyed learning about hormones?

Yes Beka, Its been an education

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Christ on a bike, reading back the last couple of pages has this thread turned into Mums.net tonight?

Oh and have you read the thread about centerparcs? Ahh if not pm me and i'll get you the thread ... It's a beauty ...

35 minutes ago, Don said:

If we get a decent second half of June, July and August, this weekend's weather will be forgiven!

Ain't gonna happen and ya know it!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Yes Beka, Its been an education

How do you make a hormone? ... Pm me for the answer lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oh and have you read the thread about centerparcs? Ahh if not pm me and i'll get you the thread ... It's a beauty ...

Not yet , Perhaps i'll take a rain check thanks tho

Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

How do you make a hormone? ... Pm me for the answer lol!

Does it involve under paying?!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Ain't gonna happen and ya know it!

I think we should re-visit this reply on 31st August!  

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

I think we should re-visit this reply on 31st August!  

Will be interesting won't it! Summe will be forecast for the next 2 weeks at 25c on that date ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It really is shocking. Every year you hear about heat here and heat there. Last year NW USA. Siberia. The arctic circle. Australia.  Everywhere. And yet all we get is rubbish like the summer solstice colder than the winter solstice. Places having the coldest June day for 40 years. Severe weather warnings for wind and rain and floods.  Never for heat . Really is unbelievable.  Sat here in the gaff and my feet are bloody freezing. What a joke.

A lot of people in hot places probably envy our cool summers though. I know when it’s been hot here I have often been envious of North Sea coastal areas where it’s been cooler.

5 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

You were in short sleeves outside in this ? You must be from Newcastle!!!

Went on holiday up to Newcastle area a few years back. Was cold and foggy for first couple of days, temps pegged back into low teens but with the wind coming off the North Sea it felt a lot colder, yet there were plenty of people in T-shirts and some were in shorts as well.

People up there just seem to be somehow immune to the cold!

Where I live though in east lancs a lot of people seem to overdress for the weather, I’ve seen people in thick coats when it’s been in the high teens.

3 hours ago, al78 said:

June 2019 was when I took a two week and a bit holiday to go backpacking across Wester Ross, Fisherfield, and the Ullapool munros. On my first camp halfway up one of the Fannichs near loch Fannich, it was a pleasant evening walking in from the station, but as I set up camp the rain started. Overnight the rain got worse and the wind picked up, really hammering my tent. I don't think I got more than three hours sleep. When I was packing up next morning it was still blowing hard enough to knock me off balance, so I decided to abandon the Fannichs traverse and completely rewrite my first three days. During the 16 days I was there I recall seeing sunshine and the tops of the hills on three days, one of those days was when I was in Inverness killing time before catching the sleeper. As June is one of the drier and sunnier months climatologically in the Scottish highlands, I felt a bit hard done by.

Yeah the first half of June 2019 was a real shocker. Mean high was just 15°C for the first two weeks here, with excessive rainfall and minimal sunshine. Like a repeat of June 2012. Coldest day was a Tuesday I remember when it was overcast with rain most of the day and a max temp of only around 10/11 degrees.

In contrast, the last two weeks of February 2019 had a mean high temp of 12°C here, with sunshine well above average. The warmest day reached about 17°C, and somewhere in Wales reached 21°C, a new all time record for winter.

Crazy how you can get better weather in the winter than in the summer in this country.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Have to say despite the miserable weather I’m liking tonight because I can have my bedroom window wide open without those horrible moths flying in! Lovely and cool in the bedroom tonight. Hate it in summer when it’s warm so you have to open windows but then you get bloody flies and wasps flying in. Not had that problem today! Can every day in summer be like this please! 

The warm nights and pesky insects are my least favourite things about summer. Hmm... Might have to invest in a small AC unit or a insect net for my bedroom this summer.

And I’m definitely noticing since putting on weight that I’m feeling cold less but getting warm more easily. Spent ages looking for something in my room and got really hot and bothered, despite the inside temp only being 19C. At least if your cold you can just put another layer on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

shocking how this morning is reminiscent to a day in early November unusually dark, damp and slightly chilly doesn't warrant me to put the heating on but certainly has that feel to it nothing like it should feel in early June

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

A lot of people in hot places probably envy our cool summers though. I know when it’s been hot here I have often been envious of North Sea coastal areas where it’s been cooler.

There is no way I would want to experience the conditions experienced in the West N America last year. Those temperatures were deadly. I'm perfectly happy with 22-25C with sunshine and a light breeze.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another glorious early summer's morning. Total cloud cover, and a roasting 10 degrees outside after an overnight soaking. Looks like Summer 2022 will go down as a belter.

• Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Went on holiday up to Newcastle area a few years back. Was cold and foggy for first couple of days, temps pegged back into low teens but with the wind coming off the North Sea it felt a lot colder, yet there were plenty of people in T-shirts and some were in shorts as well.

People up there just seem to be somehow immune to the cold!

Where I live though in east lancs a lot of people seem to overdress for the weather, I’ve seen people in thick coats when it’s been in the high teens.

Yeah the first half of June 2019 was a real shocker. Mean high was just 15°C for the first two weeks here, with excessive rainfall and minimal sunshine. Like a repeat of June 2012. Coldest day was a Tuesday I remember when it was overcast with rain most of the day and a max temp of only around 10/11 degrees.

In contrast, the last two weeks of February 2019 had a mean high temp of 12°C here, with sunshine well above average. The warmest day reached about 17°C, and somewhere in Wales reached 21°C, a new all time record for winter.

Crazy how you can get better weather in the winter than in the summer in this country.

I don’t think I could live in Newcastle for long periods.

Even in high summer it feels cold. I was up there in August 2013, during one of the better summers of the 2010s, and it felt notably on the chilly side.

Maybe temps were around 17-18c, but with the cloud and breeze, it felt colder. 

I think after being used to the heat in London during July that year, and temps still into the mid 20s during early August, the Newcastle temps were a shock to the system.

That being said, i acclimated to the Toronto winters while I was over there, and after a week or two of minus 5 to minus 10c, a few days around 0c to 3c, and I didn’t need to wear a hat. Just place me in that same environment 6 weeks before, and I would be positively freezing lol.

Back to Newcastle, I will say this. The people are very friendly and welcoming. It’s just the lack of sunshine that the Northeast gets, which could become an issue over a longer period of time. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
15 hours ago, TheOgre said:

I feel sorry for any communities who chose today instead of Thursday or Friday for their street party ☔️ What a difference between Thu/Fri to Sat/Sun! Barely 11C today! 

Pretty much everywhere had their street parties on the Sunday which I found a bit odd even ignoring the weather. Why have a knees-up the day before everyone is back to work?

It's been a bit of a wretched start to summer, with only occasional glimpses of improvement. My holiday to Fuerteventura in July can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Pretty much everywhere had their street parties on the Sunday which I found a bit odd even ignoring the weather. Why have a knees-up the day before everyone is back to work?

It's been a bit of a wretched start to summer, with only occasional glimpses of improvement. My holiday to Fuerteventura in July can't come soon enough.

So happy I’m in Sardinia right now.

Temps around 28-32c on average, and nights around 20-22c. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
11 hours ago, al78 said:

To be fair we have had brief bouts of heat in summer in recent years, it is just they have been surrounded by mediocre weather

Yeah, but that's kind of the issue. It'll be 13c and cloudy / drizzle for days then BOOM 30c for a weekend then return to 13c. 

The random blasts of heat aren't always welcome because A) they're often extreme, and B) the huge temperature disparity that often takes places within the space of a day is a shock to the system and our homeostasis finds it difficult to adapt quick enough.

Indeed, a week or 2 of hot weather over 3 months does not negate the majority of the rest of those weeks being cloudy, rainy and / or cool. Very few people are expecting or desiring a Mediterranean climate of constant 27-32c in summer. But actually seeing the sun would be nice. 18-20c and some blue up there on most days would be brilliant.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Another glorious early summer's morning. Total cloud cover, and a roasting 10 degrees outside after an overnight soaking. Looks like Summer 2022 will go down as a belter.

Didn't take long for the write-off-the-season-when-it-has-barely-begun posts to emerge. Do people automatically assume the winter will be mild and wet if there has been no frost or snow in the first week of December?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 minutes ago, al78 said:

Didn't take long for the write-off-the-season-when-it-has-barely-begun posts to emerge. Do people automatically assume the winter will be mild and wet if there has been no frost or snow in the first week of December?

It was very much tongue in cheek....I never write off seasons. I write off 10-14 day chunks at most.
Nobody can say what the weather will be like in July and August at this range!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
24 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It was very much tongue in cheek....I never write off seasons. I write off 10-14 day chunks at most.
Nobody can say what the weather will be like in July and August at this range!

Well I'd say August will be poor enough, it always is these days. At my location anyway.  Its like clock work at this stage. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Lovely and Sunny in Devon on a Monday......typical!  Feeling very mild in sun....Where was the sun during the bank holiday.  Hopefully it'll warm up in the next few weeks, summer seems to be taking a while to really get going and we are all really needing it to hurry up!!

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted

Love this upside down weather.  23 in the Highlands on Saturday, and for a time yesterday Tiree was the warmest place in the UK.  Coupled with the UK's best surfing beaches, it must be some place.  Apparently the only thing missing is rain, with many reservoirs becoming low.  Send up some of your rain Southrons!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

My heating came on last night. In June! Of course 2019 started with an awful first two weeks of June and then 6 weeks later we broke the record for hottest ever UK temperature. That kind of hides the fact that it wasn't the best summer though. I'm hoping for better as we get further into summer

• Like 1