Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted

We are so cursed that it's past laughable .

I suppose it makes the hot weather in summer and freezing,snowy weather in winter(once every 7 years or so, super exciting .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Latest chart set up  is exactly like 10 years….then look what happened in 2012 haha… we have to be the unluckiest island in the world…oh only 4 weeks before days shorten …are we going to see any summer warm dry evenings before then?..

Edited by slater
Error
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
23 hours ago, SunSean said:

Shock horror, another cloudy dull day and yet again the skies are now clear for night time. This has happened constantly in May this year, it's beyond a joke! Same again tomorrow by the looks of it, cloudy day and clear night. Can we have it the other way round please. Unbelievable lol.

Couldn't agree more its been like this for several days now starts off clear at around dawn and looks to be a sunny day only to cloud over by 8am and be thick cloud with the odd sunny spell up until around sunset when it decides to clear again, its the same rinse and repeat cycle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Wow the output at the moment is truly astonishingly bad for the jubilee. It is unbelievable how unlucky we'd be to get this again almost 10 years to the day. Still a week to go but if things don't improve in the output during the next few days there will be a few street parties being cancelled. Such a shame. I need a straw to clutch. 

Rotten time of the year though, to be expected, Summer way more likely in Jul, Aug and Sept

expecting summer in June really a big hope

Posted
10 minutes ago, Row w said:

Couldn't agree more its been like this for several days now starts off clear at around dawn and looks to be a sunny day only to cloud over by 8am and be thick cloud with the odd sunny spell up until around sunset when it decides to clear again, its the same rinse and repeat cycle

Convective cumulus, wouldn't be as cloudy in Nov to Feb as sun too weak for convection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
7 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Goodness it is so very windy around these parts.  Anyone else experiencing windy weather?  It has even snapped a branch of one of the sycamores at the top of the garden.  Very lucky really as it just missed my washing line and could so easily have broken it. 

Blowing a gale round these parts too or at least it was had to take the gazebo down yesterday it was flapping in the wind, mind you glad i did the thing would've ended up taking off today with some of the gusts

Posted

I know I've said it before but the UK has the most overrated weather reputation in the world. You can get all 4 seasons in in one day, more like you will get rubbish in all 4 seasons. You can visit this place for Christmas in December and for the Queen's Jubilee in June and you are odds on to have the exact same no man's land weather of 12C and drizzle. I can't think of any place along our latitude line that has such pathetic miserable weather dominating almost all year round. Rant over I had to after seeing tonight's charts.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Like I posted in the other spring thread previously.. I don't get annoyed at our weather. I get annoyed at ridiculous weather forecasters.. I'm still rather puzzled at the metoffices   very warm to hot spells predicted for this period. IE late May. 

even with all their super duper nasa technology and all their wizzydizzy mega computers.. they can't the get weather in the UK right. 

we might get a coolish June. But we may get an above average July to make up for it. Anyone thinking we will get 3 stinking hot months. never happens. Even in 2018  August went to pot. Thats where i add in May and September weather to make up for lack of a month of Summer. 

Edited by weatherguru14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
19 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

but we just had recently a nice spell of weather??  Peoples memories are short.. For all  the predictions.. No one can predict what'll happen in 7 days.. You just can't do it.  

We did?

• Like 1

Posted

May is turning out to be a polar opposite of last year. Cool month but warm end, and as for this month it's been generally warm but it now looks as if that's about to end. 

Middle of May it was looking likely we'll reach a 14C CET, but the benign weather over the last week has negated that possibility. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
15 hours ago, Alderc said:

Despite the fog Downtown San Francisco still gets 3,000hrs hours of sun per year.  

I can remember I drover their from Yosemite park where in the lower levels the temp was about 36C, got out the car in and nearly froze. Had to buy coats to go to Alcatraz the next day.

Places just 20-30km inland average 35C+ May-Sep and regularly sees highs in the miId 40s. meanwhile San Fran barely averages 20C in the 'Summer'

That’s why I love the climate of SAN Francisco (and the surrounding Bay Area) so much. Comfortable temperatures but lots of sunshine and bone dry summers - so none of the grotty wet summer days you get in the U.K. - just pleasant sunny (but not too hot) weather most of the time. I’d love to live over there one day.

13 hours ago, MP-R said:

Although pressure is rising, we’re still not in anticyclone territory yet with a brisk westerly over the top of the arriving high so I guess no surprise it’s still cloudy.

Still a bummer though that there are clearer skies over the Atlantic and the North Sea yet our landmass is a cloud magnet... ??‍♂️

Cloudy morning with some mainly light rain, partly cloudy afternoon but feeling cool with a strong breeze throughout. Excellent drying weather. ?

13 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I would love to know how to make that happen ha  Country morale is low at the moment for obvious reasons, a bit of sustained lovely weather is desperately needed I think.

Yeah I’d like some sunny weather as it has been very cool and dull this week, as long as it isn’t too hot.

6 hours ago, Thundershine said:

It has indeed been very windy lately. A lot of wind. 

Edit, for anyone who didn't figure it out yet, my avatar is a representation of netweather's temperature charts where the UK is invisible with the same temperatures on the colour chart as over the sea while France is bright red under a heatwave. Those are very common charts and now there are many such ones on the latest model outputs.

image.thumb.png.9a2ccefbb94d39916a681e151d5305fd.png

Amazing how the English channel creates such a huge contrast in temperatures. A cursing if your a heat lover but a blessing if you don’t like heat. If the U.K. was attached to France we would probably have much warmer summers, especially in the south.

4 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Must be the only place on earth where mid winter and mid summer can both be 12 c. Such a grotty climate. 

Not really. SAN Francisco area is the same, if not more so, very mild winter (around 14C) but cool summer (around 20C). New Zealand also has similar climate to the U.K. (a bit warmer and sunnier though). Tasmania has an oceanic climate too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

A lot of people criticising the U.K. climate tonight. 

As I live in East Lancs I get a lot of cloudy and damp dreary weather and as much as I would love a drier and sunnier climate, I would not like the heat that would inevitably come with it. 

I don’t think I could cope with the heat that most Central and southern European countries get in the summer, not without air con anyway. The UV/sun is also very intense in those countries as well in summer so I’d be hiding from the sun all the time.

Especially with the intense heatwaves that Europe has seen in recent years, even the south east gets really hot at times every summer now. 

It is when I see reports of those 40°C + heatwaves that I feel lucky and grateful for living in a cool, cloudy and damp climate.

Yes excessive cloud and rain is depressing but it’s not as bad as excessive heat imo. I’d choose the climate here over Madrid or Barcelona any day.

The thing I love most about the U.K. climate is the temperate conditions we get most of the time. We don’t get the extreme cold/heat that most European countries get. Yes it’s usually a bit chilly most of the time but you can just put a jacket or a hoodie on and feel warm enough. Whereas in Europe I would imagine it is either too hot or too cold to be out for very long for a lot of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, Snowy L said:

I know I've said it before but the UK has the most overrated weather reputation in the world. You can get all 4 seasons in in one day, more like you will get rubbish in all 4 seasons. You can visit this place for Christmas in December and for the Queen's Jubilee in June and you are odds on to have the exact same no man's land weather of 12C and drizzle. I can't think of any place along our latitude line that has such pathetic miserable weather dominating almost all year round. Rant over I had to after seeing tonight's charts.

It hasn’t always been like this, I’m sure of it. Over the past 10-15 years the weather has got blander and blander and much more homogenous.

Weather patterns seem to last weeks on end these days. 

5 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

A lot of people criticising the U.K. climate tonight. 

As I live in East Lancs I get a lot of cloudy and damp dreary weather and as much as I would love a drier and sunnier climate, I would not like the heat that would inevitably come with it. 

I don’t think I could cope with the heat that most Central and southern European countries get in the summer, not without air con anyway. The UV/sun is also very intense in those countries as well in summer so I’d be hiding from the sun all the time.

Especially with the intense heatwaves that Europe has seen in recent years, even the south east gets really hot at times every summer now. 

It is when I see reports of those 40°C + heatwaves that I feel lucky and grateful for living in a cool, cloudy and damp climate.

Yes excessive cloud and rain is depressing but it’s not as bad as excessive heat imo. I’d choose the climate here over Madrid or Barcelona any day.

The thing I love most about the U.K. climate is the temperate conditions we get most of the time. We don’t get the extreme cold/heat that most European countries get. Yes it’s usually a bit chilly most of the time but you can just put a jacket or a hoodie on and feel warm enough. Whereas in Europe I would imagine it is either too hot or too cold to be out for very long for a lot of the year.

I know what your saying and everyone definitely doesn’t enjoy the heat but those climates still out way ours IMO. From mid September to mid May almost every day is still 18-27C with plenty of sun. The amount of useable days in that period far exceeds what we get in a normal year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
8 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Used to be more much more varied but its mostly a dull fest these days which is why I've given up recording the weather and binned it as a hobby. Still take an interest here and there especially with storms (even thise are rare beasts these days) but its not what it used to be 10 years + or so ago. 

Edited by James1979

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

It hasn’t always been like this, I’m sure of it. Over the past 10-15 years the weather has got blander and blander and much more homogenous.

Weather patterns seem to last weeks on end these days. 

Except for cold northerlies and easterlies in Dec to Feb, much less frequent and shorter lasting

Posted
11 hours ago, Alderc said:

Another tick in the box of one worst climates around. So few days that are usable added to the fact we get trolled with charts like this. 

Why don't you move abroad? Your life must be terribly miserable if your posts on this forum are anything to go by.

Or would you miss the opportunity to moan if you lived in a place with a warm, sunny climate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Why don't you move abroad? Your life must be terribly miserable if your posts on this forum are anything to go by.

Or would you miss the opportunity to moan if you lived in a place with a warm, sunny climate?

It’s not that simple Children and elderly Mum and work. Another 8-10yrs and I’ll be outta here. I love our country but the climate is the pits and yes I get actual depression/anxiety because our climate. Next weekend is all planned with activities, poor weather will ruin almost all those plans. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I hate this argument -"Why don't you move abroad?" such a flippant remark as if it were that easy.

If I had a trade/the finances/the freedom - I would absolutely spend the entire period from October-May abroad because the UK climate is utter, utter garbage.

Also, this is the "moans" thread so I would expect people to be moaning about our terrible climate - especially when we are staring down the barrel of some utterly revolting weather.

Like, I don't wanna bring up the "heat vs cold" debate, but when people are literally having hysterical breakdowns over winter because there's no snow or proper cold on the way (our climate is garbage) I don't see people posting "WhY DoN't YoU MoVe AbRoad??"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I hate this argument -"Why don't you move abroad?" such a flippant remark as if it were that easy.

If I had a trade/the finances/the freedom - I would absolutely spend the entire period from October-May abroad because the UK climate is utter, utter garbage.

Also, this is the "moans" thread so I would expect people to be moaning about our terrible climate - especially when we are staring down the barrel of some utterly revolting weather.

Like, I don't wanna bring up the "heat vs cold" debate, but when people are literally having hysterical breakdowns over winter because there's no snow or proper cold on the way (our climate is garbage) I don't see people posting "WhY DoN't YoU MoVe AbRoad??"

It's the moan thread- moan all you want (as can I) but it's a genuine question.

Either deal with our crap climate or do something about it.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s not that simple Children and elderly Mum and work. Another 8-10yrs and I’ll be outta here. I love our country but the climate is the pits and yes I get actual depression/anxiety because our climate. Next weekend is all planned with activities, poor weather will ruin almost all those plans. 

I also get frustrated by our climate but I don't take it to the extreme. You're literally attaching your happiness to something you have zero control over- it's a recipe for a very miserable life.

It would be different if the sort of conditions over the next week were some kind of freak occurrence- but it's hardly totally unexpected in the UK.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It's the moan thread- moan all you want (as can I) but it's a genuine question.

Either deal with our crap climate or do something about it.

Some of us literally can't do something about it though. It's not that easy.

That's like telling someone struggling with the cost of living to 'get a better job' - don't you think they would if they could?

"Either deal with our crap climate or do something about it."

Thanks for the ultimatum but I'll pass chief.

Regardless, I agree with Alderc on the whole - I don't expect too much from our climate but I'm still somehow usually disappointed.

• Like 3